iBasso DX80 Bug Thread - Post Any Firmware Bugs/Issues Here
Jan 27, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #1,367 of 1,489
After playing around with other albums I noticed the issues are very album specific. Take three albums, all FLAC 24bit 192khz legally purchased from HD Tracks, and all of which play fine on VLC player from my laptop even if the data is being transferred from the iBasso itself.

If you can provide an example (one track via  a shared space and PM) of a flac that causes the problem, I could try to find a reason.

I've faced a similar problem some months ago, and the cause was a non-standard compressing mode of that flac. It was done using a Windows-based software, but it is not supported by the official libFLAC. Then iBasso had updated libFLAC to the latest (1.3.1 those days), but I don't remember whether it helped or not... I've re-packed those flacs using foobar2000 as the solution.

If you have foobar2000, or any other tool that shows information about software/tool used to encode the file, you may check yourself. If it is different from "reference libFLAC x.x.x YYYYMMDD" (where x.x.x - version not bigger than 1.3.1, and YYYYMMDD - a date), then it is the cause of the problem.

Jan 27, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #1,370 of 1,489
  If you can provide an example (one track via  a shared space and PM) of a flac that causes the problem, I could try to find a reason.

I've faced a similar problem some months ago, and the cause was a non-standard compressing mode of that flac. It was done using a Windows-based software, but it is not supported by the official libFLAC. Then iBasso had updated libFLAC to the latest (1.3.1 those days), but I don't remember whether it helped or not... I've re-packed those flacs using foobar2000 as the solution.

If you have foobar2000, or any other tool that shows information about software/tool used to encode the file, you may check yourself. If it is different from "reference libFLAC x.x.x YYYYMMDD" (where x.x.x - version not bigger than 1.3.1, and YYYYMMDD - a date), then it is the cause of the problem.

Lurker that is extremely helpful information, I really appreciate it. I have no experience with libFLAC but I will check that out. I'm also willing to provide a file to you so you can take a look, but I have never done that before and I'm not sure what the best method is, I will PM you. Thanks!

Jan 27, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #1,375 of 1,489
I'm also willing to provide a file to you so you can take a look

Yes, I was right! It was encoded using "Lavf57.34.103" library. I've re-encoded it using foobar2000 ("libFLAC 1.2.1 (UTC 2007-09-17)"), and the result plays flawlessly on my DX80. By the way, the problem I described before was with a different encoder, not LAVF!

You can install free MediaInfo (https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo) for Windows to check media file information. After installing, right click on a file and choose MediaInfo. Select menu View->Text, then look for "Writing library" at the end of the list.

So, don't blame iBasso: they use official flac decoder which sometimes fails on non-standard files. It's a shame that HDTracks sells music files created by not so compatible flac encoders!

Jan 27, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #1,377 of 1,489
  Yes, I was right! It was encoded using "Lavf57.34.103" library. I've re-encoded it using foobar2000 ("libFLAC 1.2.1 (UTC 2007-09-17)"), and the result plays flawlessly on my DX80. By the way, the problem I described before was with a different encoder, not LAVF!

You can install free MediaInfo (https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo) for Windows to check media file information. After installing, right click on a file and choose MediaInfo. Select menu View->Text, then look for "Writing library" at the end of the list.

So, don't blame iBasso: they use official flac decoder which sometimes fails on non-standard files. It's a shame that HDTracks sells music files created by not so compatible flac encoders!

Your new name, Sherlock Holmes. :^) 

Jan 27, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #1,378 of 1,489
Thank you so much for doing this! I am definitely dissapointed in HD Tracks, considering what you pay for the files you expect them to work.

I know this is probably a 100% newb question but will reincoding my problematic files using an official FLAC encoder degrade the quality at all?

Thanks again!

Jan 27, 2017 at 7:16 PM Post #1,380 of 1,489
Fantastic! Lurker for me at least you've made a great player a perfect player. I already loved the DX80 but between your kick-ass firmware and your help today I really feel like it does everything I need with excellence. Thank you so much!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back