iBasso DX80 Bug Thread - Post Any Firmware Bugs/Issues Here
Jan 31, 2017 at 8:14 PM Post #1,381 of 1,489
Well I'm back. The files all play now, without hanging, which is a huge improvement don't get me wrong. However, there is still stuttering and popping in the playback of all of my 24/182khz FLAC files, and while reconverting them fixed the playback issue before, it has not done anything for the general problem of stuttering and popping. Neither have factory resets, re-updating the firmware, rescans, or anything of that sort. The files play back fine on a computer. No idea what the issue is with the iBasso and 24/192 files, but I have a lot of them and this is very frustrating! Any suggestions please let me know. Thanks!

Jan 31, 2017 at 8:21 PM Post #1,382 of 1,489
Update: even my Louis Armstrong "What A Wonderful World" album, which generally seemed to play fine, is popping and stuttering like crazy, and it's not the files. It's only 24/192, I've checked my 24/44.1, 24/48, and 24/96 files and they all seem to play fine. Nearly all my music is 24 bit FLAC of some kind so it's a big deal to me that this actually work.

Jan 31, 2017 at 11:57 PM Post #1,383 of 1,489
Update: even my Louis Armstrong "What A Wonderful World" album, which generally seemed to play fine, is popping and stuttering like crazy, and it's not the files.
I'd siggest you to find a small (8-16-32GB), fresh (not after years of use) microSD and try it to eliminate a possible problem with your microSD.

Feb 1, 2017 at 3:27 AM Post #1,384 of 1,489
Update: even my Louis Armstrong "What A Wonderful World" album, which generally seemed to play fine, is popping and stuttering like crazy, and it's not the files. It's only 24/192, I've checked my 24/44.1, 24/48, and 24/96 files and they all seem to play fine. Nearly all my music is 24 bit FLAC of some kind so it's a big deal to me that this actually work.

What solved this for me was updating the software using the updating tool on page one of the main thread Here:

Batch Tool to use if you are having any difficulty with the FW update. It wipes the internal memory and installs a clean FW update but there are a few more steps but it is great if something gets messed up: http://www.ibasso.com/uploadfiles/20151210/201512100333294318.rar
You can download a .rar app for free to unzip the .rar. There are instruction with the download on how to install on a Microsoft OS computer. It can also be used on the DX50 and DX90 to load FW's

Good luck

Feb 1, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #1,385 of 1,489
I've tried the batch tool, I've tried the SD cards, nothing works. Sometimes there is LESS stuttering and popping, but it never goes away completely. Aside from a brief moment of optimism when Lurker fixed the other issue I was having, I find this DAP endlessly frustrating. Unless there is a miracle fix first, I think I will be switching to the FiiO x5 3rd Gen as soon as it's available for sale in the US. Thanks anyway everyone, I appreciate the attempts at solving the issues.

Feb 1, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #1,386 of 1,489
I've tried the batch tool, I've tried the SD cards, nothing works. Sometimes there is LESS stuttering and popping, but it never goes away completely. Aside from a brief moment of optimism when Lurker fixed the other issue I was having, I find this DAP endlessly frustrating. Unless there is a miracle fix first, I think I will be switching to the FiiO x5 3rd Gen as soon as it's available for sale in the US. Thanks anyway everyone, I appreciate the attempts at solving the issues.

Sorry to hear that - Can you send it back and get a replacment ? There may have been a few problematic units in the early days of production. Lookslike you have just been a bit unlucky. I very rarely get any issues with mine. Its worth perservering because the quality of sound is exceptional and punches way above its price.
Anyway, I hope you do find a solution that does result in you enjoying this player 

Feb 1, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #1,387 of 1,489
I love the player otherwise, the sound signature is perfect for my taste and I don't care about wireless or Bluetooth or anything of that sort. I just can't get high res FLAC files to play consistently and even when they do I find it stressful at this point, always listening and waiting for a mistake. If I could find a solution I'd keep it for sure. I keep waiting for an upgraded firmware but so far no luck. I also got mine from Amazon not realizing it isn't technically an authorized retailer, so I'm not even sure the warranty would be honored even though I did buy it new.

Feb 1, 2017 at 3:30 PM Post #1,388 of 1,489
I've tried the batch tool, I've tried the SD cards, nothing works. Sometimes there is LESS stuttering and popping, but it never goes away completely.
You may have a faulty unit then. I listen a lot of 24/192 flacs every day with zero problems. But I know that some modern high capacity and high speed microSDs with big internal blocks may cause problems if clusters are not aligned to blocks. That's why I suggested to try small (under 32GB) microSD before trying to re-format the big one with a special tool.

Feb 1, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #1,389 of 1,489
I love the player otherwise, the sound signature is perfect for my taste and I don't care about wireless or Bluetooth or anything of that sort. I just can't get high res FLAC files to play consistently and even when they do I find it stressful at this point, always listening and waiting for a mistake. If I could find a solution I'd keep it for sure. I keep waiting for an upgraded firmware but so far no luck. I also got mine from Amazon not realizing it isn't technically an authorized retailer, so I'm not even sure the warranty would be honored even though I did buy it new.

Get in contact directly with Paul at paul@ibasso.com
He is very helpful. They are a great company. As you bought it Im sure they will honour their product and service
Explain what has happened & take it from there...Put your mind at ease

Feb 1, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #1,390 of 1,489
You may have a faulty unit then. I listen a lot of 24/192 flacs every day with zero problems. But I know that some modern high capacity and high speed microSDs with big internal blocks may cause problems if clusters are not aligned to blocks. That's why I suggested to try small (under 32GB) microSD before trying to re-format the big one with a special tool.

Lurker thanks again I will try the tool you linked to. I don't have any cards under 128GB so maybe that was the issue. They tested fine on my computer and a low level format didn't fix the issues but maybe your tool will.

Get in contact directly with Paul at paul@ibasso.com
He is very helpful. They are a great company. As you bought it Im sure they will honour their product and service
Explain what has happened & take it from there...Put your mind at ease

Jon Parker, thank you for your support! If Lurker's tool doesn't fix it I think I will do that.

Feb 1, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #1,391 of 1,489

Lurker, unfortunately that's the tool I use to format my SD cards in the first place, so it's definitely not going to fix them. If it were, it would have already. At this point I think there is no hope for it. 

Feb 1, 2017 at 4:29 PM Post #1,392 of 1,489
Paul, if you see this, I just emailed you with the information and a copy of the receipt. I purchased it April 2015 so it's within a year old, hopefully there is something that can be done to suitably resolve this issue!

Feb 2, 2017 at 7:27 AM Post #1,395 of 1,489

You mean April 2016, I think. Amazon has is own warranty, contact them, I always had positive feedback in warranty affairs with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back