iBasso DX80 Bug Thread - Post Any Firmware Bugs/Issues Here
Dec 21, 2015 at 9:50 PM Post #316 of 1,489

Sorry to hear about your problem.

Please get a sewing needle and lift the card out using that. You can press the needle lightly onto the side of the card and 'prior it' up enough to grab with your fingers.

Once the card is removed wait for Paul's response. 

Thanks, H20Fidelity.  I got the card out with tweezers.

EDIT:  After careful tweezer removal and careful replacement, I think that the card is now seated properly in slot 2.  It feels better, and now has the same level of protrusion as the card in slot 1.  Perhaps user error in how I initially placed the card or perhaps something is not quite right. For now, I think I am okay, and I will send Paul another IM.

Dec 21, 2015 at 11:44 PM Post #317 of 1,489
  Hi,

I have been using DX80 for about 20 days and i really like it so far. Have not had any issues with SD cards, line-out, and phone-out..
Firmware was updated to the most recent one v1.1.4. Main reason that i bought this DAP is as a transport of high-resolution files to my stereo system..

Annoyance is that when it is connected to external DAC with coaxial output, DAP will freeze and produce a loud static noise. Happened multiple times already. It always starts without an issue however after for about 15 mins to 30 mins, it will freeze...playing 192 or 96khz files is less problematic but 88 or 176khz will definitely do this within 5 mins or so. 

The way I hook this up is: DX80 > Bifrost MB DAC (coaxial input) > Preamp > Poweramp. I tried it on Modi 2 Uber and same issue. Also tried with a different coaxial cable but i cannot seem to find a solution for this problem. If i do line-out, everything seems fine. 

Has anyone experienced similar problem or is it just mine? I have about 10 days or so left to either return or exchange it... which i try to avoid as much as i could...

I do have a router to bypass this issue without using Bifrost DAC but it just bothers me to add an additional chain/device to the system that can totally be avoided if it just works...

Any thoughts will be appreciated..

I haven't had such a bad experience using the coax S/PDIF output on my DX80.

The thing I'm curious about is, when you say the "DAP will freeze", do you mean the operating system of the DX80 hangs? or do you mean the sound is corrupted?
I'm guessing that your DX80 works fine in headphone or line output mode, so it's very weird that it will freeze only when it's used as S/PDIF transport.

If the DX80's operating system is fine but just the sound starts stuttering then I would guess that it's something along the transmission line (like the coax cable, DAC).
If the DX80's operating system hangs then something must be wrong with the unit itself.
Does the DX80 freeze when you are playing music with the S/PDIF cable hanging loose and not connected to your Bifrost DAC?

Also, what does it mean that you have a "router" to bypass the DAC?

Dec 22, 2015 at 12:12 AM Post #318 of 1,489

Thanks, H20Fidelity.  I got the card out with tweezers.

EDIT:  After careful tweezer removal and careful replacement, I think that the card is now seated properly in slot 2.  It feels better, and now has the same level of protrusion as the card in slot 1.  Perhaps user error in how I initially placed the card or perhaps something is not quite right. For now, I think I am okay, and I will send Paul another IM.

Per my PM please keep me informed. We want you to enjoy the music without any hassles.

The thing I'm curious about is, when you say the "DAP will freeze", do you mean the operating system of the DX80 hangs? or do you mean the sound is corrupted?
I'm guessing that your DX80 works fine in headphone or line output mode, so it's very weird that it will freeze only when it's used as S/PDIF transport.

If the DX80's operating system is fine but just the sound starts stuttering then I would guess that it's something along the transmission line (like the coax cable, DAC).
If the DX80's operating system hangs then something must be wrong with the unit itself.
Does the DX80 freeze when you are playing music with the S/PDIF cable hanging loose and not connected to your Bifrost DAC?

I have experimented with a couple of "other" daps and have encountered some problems with them. It was the coax but the coax was good but for some reason the connection was not continuous. We are trying to find out if the issue is with the DX80 so this can be resolved.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Dec 22, 2015 at 12:28 AM Post #319 of 1,489

Hi,

The operation itself hangs....so it starts fine and suddenly after about 3 to 4 songs, sound stops. Then i push the power button to wake the DAP to see what's going on, as it awakes, it sends a loud static noise to the amp. It happens so often, i know i need to dial the volume of my poweramp all the way down before i look at the DAP. When i restart the song where the DAP froze, then corrupted/distorted sound comes out. But if i try a different song (even next file), then it plays again. No clue....

I guess i can try what you said, connect the coaxial cable to the DAP and play without connecting to the external DAC..

I just ordered a new SD card...not sure it may need to do with it or not. But worth a try. 

When i say router, i have an audio line router (3 ins and 3 outs). I got that from Mapletree and works great.

Anyway, i also received an email from the seller. After i test it with the new SD card, i will have to send it in if the problem persists..... 

Dec 22, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #321 of 1,489
1, updated to 1.1.4
2, factory reset - all ok
3, put in 128gb card into slot 1 - scanned ok
4, put in 128gb card into slot - partial scan only
5, Selected the option 'Scan 1 AND 2 - took 10-15mins - seems everything is now scanned

(both cards formated to FAT32)

Sometimes I get a loud pop/click at the start of a track - similar to sound of shutting amp down incorrectly and then a few more big round bassy pops

Only bugs i found so far (not supposed to be playing with it till Christmas though so maybe more later :D

Dec 22, 2015 at 7:56 PM Post #322 of 1,489
I jus encounter new bug. When I'm browsing using artist filter while playing a song, it suddenly freeze in the middle and restart automatically. I'm using 128Gb with FAT32 format both in the two slots. Its like that the device run out its RAM when browsing lot of artist name.

Dec 22, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #323 of 1,489
Sometimes I do encountered loud pop/noise when I switch from USB-DAC mode back to player; press play immediately to play song on the player itself.

Dec 23, 2015 at 12:27 AM Post #324 of 1,489
  1, updated to 1.1.4
2, factory reset - all ok
3, put in 128gb card into slot 1 - scanned ok
4, put in 128gb card into slot - partial scan only
5, Selected the option 'Scan 1 AND 2 - took 10-15mins - seems everything is now scanned

(both cards formated to FAT32)

Sometimes I get a loud pop/click at the start of a track - similar to sound of shutting amp down incorrectly and then a few more big round bassy pops

Only bugs i found so far (not supposed to be playing with it till Christmas though so maybe more later :D

This will be solved with an upcoming FW.
I jus encounter new bug. When I'm browsing using artist filter while playing a song, it suddenly freeze in the middle and restart automatically. I'm using 128Gb with FAT32 format both in the two slots. Its like that the device run out its RAM when browsing lot of artist name.

This will fixed with an upcoming FW.

Sometimes I do encountered loud pop/noise when I switch from USB-DAC mode back to player; press play immediately to play song on the player itself.

This is normal because the DX80 is changing from XMOS for the USB to the CPU. When switching please disconnect your headphones.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Dec 23, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #328 of 1,489
  Here are some initial bugs I found.

1. Switching from Album mode to Directory mode does not work. If I am playing [Album A, Track 1] in Album mode, then play [Album B, Track 1] in Directory mode, the screen still says I am playing [Album A, Track 1], even though the music playing is [Album B, Track 1]. If I press skip at this point, it will play [Album A, Track 2] instead of what it is supposed to play, which is [Album B, Track 2].

Basically, the transition between tag based library playback and file browser playback is stuffing up.

2. Many issues with SD card scanning. Sometimes it aborts half way, other times, it completes to 100% but many songs are missing. Sometimes it just crashes the whole OS or freezes until force reboot. It may be related to particular song tags crashing the system, but the exact same card and same songs work fine on other DAPs like Fiio.

3. Similar to above, the metadata cache does not get flushed, so scanning a new SD card does not remove the songs added from the previous SD card. Only a full factory reset can clear the previous data. Even if I remove the SD cards and do the scan on empty slots, it still retains the songs from the previous card.

4. My Sandisk Ultra 128GB won't show up on the PC on USB Storage mode. I have tried FAT32, exFAT etc but no luck. My 64GB cards show up fine regardless of FAT or exFAT formatting. Only the 128GB card is having this problem.

EDIT: Above bugs seem to be fixed on V1.1.2 firmware

5. Back (rewind) button behaviour is inconsistent. While the music is playing, if I press [Back], it will go back to the beginning of the current song. However, when the music is paused, pressing [Back] will take me to the beginning of the previous song. (This is irrespective of whether I am at the beginning or half-way through the song). This is very annoying and different from how all other DAPs behave.

6. Some people find the initial pop noise upon playback and grit noise between tracks quite annoying. It gives you a compressive feeling when using IEMs.

That's about all I can think of.

how did you fix issue 2?
mine scans the whole card, but some albums only show up in the tag-lists, not in the directory; others don't show up at all.

edit. ok, need to learn to read properly. you said they were fixed with v1.1.2. well, i'm running v1.1.4
anybody ran into this problem with latest fw?

Dec 24, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #329 of 1,489
New Bug:

V1.1.4
2x 128gb sandisk cards

= selected and played a song having selected it from 'artist'

next 2 i tried (from searching in 'Artist' nothing happened - the name of the artist/album appears + 0.00 for time below - when I go to those albums in the disk directory to the card itself where they are stored they play ok.

Tried it again - it seems nothing will now play from the 'artist selection folder' - you can see the album art - you select it and you back to a screen this time with no art - and a hiss - when i pressed pause and then play again the original song i selected plays again from the begining  o_0

If it do this while the selected track [from the directory card search] is playing the new album details appear below the original album from the song  - you can even select the next song from the text below the album art of the newly selected album!

Then the song just stops - pressing play starts it again

hope that makes sense!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back