IBasso DX50 vs Fiio X3 comparison thread
Aug 31, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #272 of 297
I have no problem with the UI on the DX50. It is easy to use and fast. I have the AK100 with output 22ohm resistors bypassed, which improved the sound but still find the DX50 more true to the music than the AK100. Obviously, with it being so subjective, only ones individual ears can make the choice regarding sound. 

Sep 9, 2014 at 3:44 AM Post #273 of 297
Does anyone have "real battery life" comparison of the DX50 and X3 - using IEMs? I wonder how many hours of playtime I could in reality get from either, using my Phonak 232.

I posed the question in a similar thread, no answer though.

Thanks.

Sep 9, 2014 at 6:18 AM Post #274 of 297
heyy , i'm realy" confuse , i want to have a portable amp or dap , but i want a best sound quality between ibasso dx50 or fiio e18 ,

have anyone tried both of them ??

sorry for my bad english ,and very very sorry if i get wrong thread .tee-he

edit : i'm use dt770 pro 80 ohm

Sep 9, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #275 of 297
  The X3 interface with the latest firmware and the custom list-based mod posted on this forum isn't too bad. I mean, it's not great or anything, but it's useable without being annoying to me. I actually returned the first X3 I bought when they came out because of the UI, but I can live with it now.

Where is this list-base mod you speak of?

Nov 8, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #276 of 297
Thought I would chime in with my thoughts on the DX50 vs X3 debate.

I have both. I am selling my DX50.

Why?

I find the X3 SO much more usable. It's quicker to navigate the menus (it has actual keys, and so is noticeably quicker menu to menu), easier to put in your pocket, and I don't mind if I dent or scratch it.  With the DX50, its SUCH a lovely looking and well built player I am afraid to really use it. And when I use it as a portable machine it would annoy me slightly because of those things I mentioned above. As a comparison, it's like the difference between a 3g IpodTouch and an 1g IpodShuffle - as a portable player with ease of use the Shuffle wins hands down for me (and SQ too incidentaly). :) 

Here's the wierd thing. The DX50 (fw 1.5) sound quality is *head and shoulders* above the X3 (fw 3.21beta). I really mean that. There is a noticeable positive difference in soundstage and detail (in the lower ranges especially). Listening to the DX50 I really feel I'm listening to a HIFI experience whereas with the X3 I am listening to an MP3 player.

It really is that big a difference. But even with that fantastic DX50 sound, there is still something missing from it for me, and it's the vocals. They tend to sound a little recessed to me and it bugs me. That and my X3 usability preference leans me towards the other device.

It's taken a few months to work out my preference, but there it is, I hope it helps. Please don't hesitate to ask me any questions :)

NOTE: When reading reviews of the two devices do take into account the dates on the reviews. The firmwares for these devices change the sound signature *significantly*. The X3 3.21 beta (the latest to date) is the best IMHO and the DX50 1.5 (the latest to date) also. So if you read a review from a year ago you can't really judge the device by it.

However the DX50 has custom firmwares which really do improve the sound - try them out before sending back your DX50. Oh and remember to burn your devices in. You want at least 50 hours of playback to properly judge the sound.  

PS Unless it is an *absolute* requirement for you, ignore the X3 firmware issues that are reported here. The new GUI is fine (they took a step back IMHO but some like it) and it's super quick to navigate. The file/tagging/gapless issues can be worked around.
PPS If you still can't decide. Do what I did. Buy both and send one back.

Dec 2, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #277 of 297
Having recently suffered a failed Sony NWZ-A845 where the sound fizzled out to silence, I now need something else of a decent enough quality not to leave me wanting. And given that Sony’s approach to protecting us grown-ups from ourselves by imposing a lower than reasonable volume restriction in Europe, I decided to look at other brands instead.

Forgive me for saying so, but the iPod being was a natural place to begin looking, as we have a copy of different generation (3 and 4) iPhones in the household, so I got curious. I have to admit that they didn’t sound at all bad with my Grado SR225i’s plugged into them. I also have pairs of Sony XBA-H1’s and Soundmagic E10’s. All sounded pretty reasonable with the iPhones, so I would expect that the iPod 5th gen would be even better than the ageing phones I have been trying.

However, I tend to find myself doing a lot of research before buying audio, and there is plenty being said about how much better the sound quality of the Fiio X3 or iBasso DX50 is compared to the iPod. So I’m kinda excited at the prospect.

iTunes aside, whilst I was really impressed with the music user interface on the iPhones, if I could get something which sounded THAT much better, I would be a really happy chappy. I’m not at all interested in the how much better my social media experience will be with a new iPod 5th gen; or the camera quality; or that it comes in half a dozen nice colours. All of these seem to be the things shouted most loudly about, whereas  the audio quality seems to be of far less then secondary importance in the way iPods are marketed, and I find that a little off-putting when I all I’m interested in is how the thing sounds. I definitely don’t want to knock what is clearly and really versatile piece of kit, and very good at a lot of things.

The thing is, that I have read many comments about how cumbersome and in some cases unreliable the Fiio X3 and iBasso DX50 can be, and I don’t have the luxury of trying a bunch of things out before buying. Sound is the most important thing here, but not at any cost. I'm sure some of you will agree that hi-fi, it's hard to guage what the rating of "good", "really good", and "outstanding are"... 7/10, 8/10 and 9/10, or 9.2/10, 9.4/10 and 9.6/10? And when a comment says X knocks spots off Y, are they saying it's twice as good, or in reality just marginally better?

Based on some of the impressions I have formed through comments/reviews I have read, if we were to hypothetically say that the X3 and DX50 have UI’s which are considered to be about 80% as good as the iPod, and are 90% as reliable with only 50% of the battery life from a single charge, how much better could I realistically expect the sound of an X3 or DX50 to pursuade me to go for either? Furthermore, which of these would partner my Grado’s better? I listen to equal amounts of rock and classical, as well as jazz and acoustic music.

Thanks in advance for any feedback, and please excuse me throwing numbers into the paragraph above… I was just trying to gauge people’s views.

Dec 7, 2014 at 8:04 AM Post #278 of 297
Having recently suffered a failed Sony NWZ-A845 where the sound fizzled out to silence, I now need something else of a decent enough quality not to leave me wanting. And given that Sony’s approach to protecting us grown-ups from ourselves by imposing a lower than reasonable volume restriction in Europe, I decided to look at other brands instead.

Forgive me for saying so, but the iPod being was a natural place to begin looking, as we have a copy of different generation (3 and 4) iPhones in the household, so I got curious. I have to admit that they didn’t sound at all bad with my Grado SR225i’s plugged into them. I also have pairs of Sony XBA-H1’s and Soundmagic E10’s. All sounded pretty reasonable with the iPhones, so I would expect that the iPod 5th gen would be even better than the ageing phones I have been trying.

However, I tend to find myself doing a lot of research before buying audio, and there is plenty being said about how much better the sound quality of the Fiio X3 or iBasso DX50 is compared to the iPod. So I’m kinda excited at the prospect.

iTunes aside, whilst I was really impressed with the music user interface on the iPhones, if I could get something which sounded THAT much better, I would be a really happy chappy. I’m not at all interested in the how much better my social media experience will be with a new iPod 5th gen; or the camera quality; or that it comes in half a dozen nice colours. All of these seem to be the things shouted most loudly about, whereas  the audio quality seems to be of far less then secondary importance in the way iPods are marketed, and I find that a little off-putting when I all I’m interested in is how the thing sounds. I definitely don’t want to knock what is clearly and really versatile piece of kit, and very good at a lot of things.

The thing is, that I have read many comments about how cumbersome and in some cases unreliable the Fiio X3 and iBasso DX50 can be, and I don’t have the luxury of trying a bunch of things out before buying. Sound is the most important thing here, but not at any cost. I'm sure some of you will agree that hi-fi, it's hard to guage what the rating of "good", "really good", and "outstanding are"... 7/10, 8/10 and 9/10, or 9.2/10, 9.4/10 and 9.6/10? And when a comment says X knocks spots off Y, are they saying it's twice as good, or in reality just marginally better?

Based on some of the impressions I have formed through comments/reviews I have read, if we were to hypothetically say that the X3 and DX50 have UI’s which are considered to be about 80% as good as the iPod, and are 90% as reliable with only 50% of the battery life from a single charge, how much better could I realistically expect the sound of an X3 or DX50 to pursuade me to go for either? Furthermore, which of these would partner my Grado’s better? I listen to equal amounts of rock and classical, as well as jazz and acoustic music.

Thanks in advance for any feedback, and please excuse me throwing numbers into the paragraph above… I was just trying to gauge people’s views.

The DX90 on mp4nation was around 370 ish. Just get if money is not a problem.
And you wil never look back ever. Like ever.

Also the swapping battery is really imp. and helpfull. Thats why no fiio for me.

I dont think the DX50 would be that much of an upgrade. But the 90 is the best price/performance upgrade you could have.
Go for it.

Dec 7, 2014 at 8:05 AM Post #279 of 297
Thought I would chime in with my thoughts on the DX50 vs X3 debate.

I have both. I am selling my DX50.

Why?

I find the X3 SO much more usable. It's quicker to navigate the menus (it has actual keys, and so is noticeably quicker menu to menu), easier to put in your pocket, and I don't mind if I dent or scratch it.  With the DX50, its SUCH a lovely looking and well built player I am afraid to really use it. And when I use it as a portable machine it would annoy me slightly because of those things I mentioned above. As a comparison, it's like the difference between a 3g IpodTouch and an 1g IpodShuffle - as a portable player with ease of use the Shuffle wins hands down for me (and SQ too incidentaly). :) 

Here's the wierd thing. The DX50 (fw 1.5) sound quality is *head and shoulders* above the X3 (fw 3.21beta). I really mean that. There is a noticeable positive difference in soundstage and detail (in the lower ranges especially). Listening to the DX50 I really feel I'm listening to a HIFI experience whereas with the X3 I am listening to an MP3 player.

It really is that big a difference. But even with that fantastic DX50 sound, there is still something missing from it for me, and it's the vocals. They tend to sound a little recessed to me and it bugs me. That and my X3 usability preference leans me towards the other device.

It's taken a few months to work out my preference, but there it is, I hope it helps. Please don't hesitate to ask me any questions :)

NOTE: When reading reviews of the two devices do take into account the dates on the reviews. The firmwares for these devices change the sound signature *significantly*. The X3 3.21 beta (the latest to date) is the best IMHO and the DX50 1.5 (the latest to date) also. So if you read a review from a year ago you can't really judge the device by it.

However the DX50 has custom firmwares which really do improve the sound - try them out before sending back your DX50. Oh and remember to burn your devices in. You want at least 50 hours of playback to properly judge the sound.  

PS Unless it is an *absolute* requirement for you, ignore the X3 firmware issues that are reported here. The new GUI is fine (they took a step back IMHO but some like it) and it's super quick to navigate. The file/tagging/gapless issues can be worked around.
PPS If you still can't decide. Do what I did. Buy both and send one back.

Would you please share what iems or headphones are you using ?

Dec 7, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #280 of 297
The DX90 on mp4nation was around 370 ish. Just get if money is not a problem.
And you wil never look back ever. Like ever.

Also the swapping battery is really imp. and helpfull. Thats why no fiio for me.

I dont think the DX50 would be that much of an upgrade. But the 90 is the best price/performance upgrade you could have.
Go for it.
but what with the userfriendliness compared to the iPod Touch and iTunes that was mentioned?

Dec 7, 2014 at 2:20 PM Post #281 of 297
but what with the userfriendliness compared to the iPod Touch and iTunes that was mentioned?

Ok this might not be the best example but. Here goes

Consider the dx90 as a ferrari 458. And the ipod as a much more practical mpv or a golf state.

The engine here is the sound quality. Thats tons better. But the rude quality, capacity is not that good. You get the point. Buy it use it for a month and you will be a happy person.

I am sorry for the comparison. As i deal in auto electronics. So thats the only two things i can relate too.

Dec 7, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #282 of 297
Ok this might not be the best example but. Here goes

Consider the dx90 as a ferrari 458. And the ipod as a much more practical mpv or a golf state.

The engine here is the sound quality. Thats tons better. But the rude quality, capacity is not that good. You get the point. Buy it use it for a month and you will be a happy person.

I am sorry for the comparison. As i deal in auto electronics. So thats the only two things i can relate too.
that i understand, but what I am referring to is how easy or difficult it is to transfer music to DX90? With iTunes you the music is automaticly transfered to all your registrated Apple products. Sounds maybe stupid but I have no experience with other than ITunes.

Dec 7, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #283 of 297
that i understand, but what I am referring to is how easy or difficult it is to transfer music to DX90? With iTunes you the music is automaticly transfered to all your registrated Apple products. Sounds maybe stupid but I have no experience with other than ITunes.

Its drag and drop like in a usb stick. And also you can attach a usb or hard deuve directly bia an otg cable. Just buy the thing.

Dec 7, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #284 of 297
For easy to drive headphones I'd like to point out that an ipod can be just fine, perhaps even reaching audible transparency which'd render any upgrade moot.

Just checked out some measurements on the touch 5g: http://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/ipod-touch-5g/audio-quality.htm

According to those, I'd say it is pretty much transparent to the human ear.

Dec 9, 2014 at 6:14 AM Post #285 of 297
Ken Rockwell.. he's well known for, well... let's say controversial, opinions on photographic equipment.

But like with camera equipment he does have a point. Ipods aren't that bad. And if I could access them like a USB stick and if they played FLAC files  I probably would have bought one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back