IBasso DX50 vs Fiio X3 comparison thread
Oct 10, 2013 at 4:17 AM Post #91 of 297
Why is it that gapless doesn't seem to work under category->album while playing FLAC with the x3?

Oct 10, 2013 at 5:23 AM Post #92 of 297
Quick question.

How would I be able to use the line out on the Dx50 to my Fiio E12 amp?

Currently got the X3 and using the line out to the E12 is easy. 

Thanks

Oct 10, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #93 of 297
  Have you guys noticed how the amplifier section of the DX50 doesn't behave like most of the other daps? Fiio X3 vs DX50 comparison:

Summary:
DX50 has a large advantage with 24 ohm and above headphones. Eg. Both used with 50 ohm headphones the DX50 can rack up 110mW at 2.5v, while the X3 only manages 30mW at 1.5v,
X3 has a large advantage with 16 ohm and below headphones. Eg. Both used with 10 ohm headphones the DX50 produces 40mW at 0.6v while the X3 produces 160mW at 1.5v.

Amp output impedance graphs DX50 vs X3:

Summary:
DX50 has an output impedance closer to 3 ohm, despite the claimed <0.5 ohm from ibasso. DX50 also has an impedance spike in the 100-20hz region, this means headphones with lower impedance have progressively less bass response as shown in the next graph, EG. a 10 ohm headphone with the DX50 will have around -10db less 20hz bass. 
X3 has a low output impedance of 0.3 or lower ohms and isnt affected by the above, as such has a flat frequency response with all impedance phones.

Also there is the aspect of Line out implementation DX50 vs X3:

Summary:
DX50 has WAY less distortion than X3 through the line out. This means the DAC implementation of the DX50 is a lot cleaner than the X3.

Total Summary of DX50:

The DX50 comes with a quadtriple whammy of LAME, if you want to use headphones with impedance lower than 16 ohms because:
  1. Doesn't provide enough power, far less than the competition.
  2. Doesnt provide enough voltage,  far less than the competition.
  3. Has high ish output impedance,  far worse than the competition.
  4. Bass is rolled of, more and more with lower and lower impedances.

The DX50 comes with a triple whammy of AWESOME, if you want to use headphones with impedance higher or at 24 ohms because:
  1. WAY More power than all the competition.
  2. WAY More voltage than the competition.
  3. WAY less THD from Line out than the competition.

Original measurements from:
http://personalaudio.ru/review/portable-audio/

Helps explain why my ASG2's (34 ohms)  sound better out of the DX50 then the X3. 

Oct 10, 2013 at 9:42 AM Post #94 of 297
  Quick question.

How would I be able to use the line out on the Dx50 to my Fiio E12 amp?

Currently got the X3 and using the line out to the E12 is easy.

Thanks

Same way. LO on DX50 to LI on E12.

Oct 10, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #95 of 297
  Why is it that gapless doesn't seem to work under category->album while playing FLAC with the x3?

It does but maybe you don't have it turned on.

Oct 10, 2013 at 12:15 PM Post #96 of 297
^I have indeed turned it on.

Oct 10, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #97 of 297
  ^I have indeed turned it on.

Weird. I have no issues using FLAC files with gapless in Category mode. ALAC has been reported to cause problems with gapless but not FLAC. Gapless definitely doesn't work in browse mode though.

Oct 10, 2013 at 11:33 PM Post #99 of 297
Alright gentlemen, just to make anyone else wanting to do a side by side aware, I've decided to sell the X3. Dsnuts pointed out that the two DAPs pair best with cans of contrasting signature and now I agree. My preference is one of slight warmth and as such, the barely brighter DX50 pairs wonderfully with my TF10s, BA200s, and RE272s. 

The X3 is posted in the for sale forum.

Oct 16, 2013 at 10:07 AM Post #101 of 297

A 2.8 output impedance doesn't give a 10db drop into 10 ohms at 20 hz. Max power graphs aren't frequency response graphs. Completely different parameter. It does supply enough power for any reasonable IEMs >15ohms unless you're doing damage to your ears and most of the roll and "impedance spike" (no spike, rising resistance) you see in the low bass is from the output coupling caps of 440uf which is actually very acceptable and larger than most that use them. 2.8 ohm is also perfectly acceptable in practice for any reasonable load. Considering that more DAPs are higher rather than lower in output impedance and use coupling caps, it's the 8-15 ohm earphones that are actually the problem in this market. I believe that the X3 is Direct Coupled so will not show roll. It will need to make other choices with PS and circuitry to do so. They are not always better choices even if they appear so. The line out distortion may be a function of a power supply designed for same.

From the same site when compared to the x3 and hm601.

http://personalaudio.ru/detail/ibasso_dx50_v_sravnenii_s_fiio_x3_i_hifiman_hm601_slim/

HM601 - is a unique player, which thanks to a multibit DAC like a tube amp in solid state at an affordable price. 
This comparison does not apply to the sound of tube-transistor, it refers to its overall uniqueness of your handwriting and the sound should always be the choice of an alternative or complement other exclusive approach to the sound.
FiiO X3 little in common with the AK100 as the first product on the one hand used good parts graphics and measurements indicate the absence of express or critical engineering errors, but the final version is inferior to other devices of this niche. 
Tutu can be said that the first pancake is often lumpy. 
One hopes that the X5 will be worked out at a higher level, like AK120. 
iBasso DX50 turned out very good option in its price segment and is probably the best solution from the standpoint of price / performance to date. 
You can also see and correct the mistakes made ​​in the iBasso DX100, destitute of the control key "forward", "back" and "Play / Pause". 
DX50 gives the impression of top players, who have not completed or a little, or not specifically disclosed the full potential that he was not directly competing models of a higher price range. 
Moreover, in his price range is the clear leader. 

Plenty of favored DAPs show some low frequency roll into lower impedances where it's barely noticeable and a more than fair trade for it's other qualities.

Lots of pseudo tech and generalizations on these boards. The DX50 isn't a HiEnd player and I haven't heard one but I suspect it's sonicly VG for it's intended use with portable IEMs of normal impedance. I'm not in the market for a DX50 because I like what I own but those measurements wouldn't dissuade me in the least.

X3 can push out 540mW at 16ohms, the reviewer just forget to set the gain to high in X3.  and the output voltage of X3 is bigger than 2.9V which is RMS Voltage and we will not cheat to public , and if there are something wrong when we put the data on our website, we will apologize to the public.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Oct 16, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #102 of 297
^Very nice to know, James.

Oct 16, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #103 of 297

X3 can push out 540mW at 16ohms, the reviewer just forget to set the gain to high in X3.  and the output voltage of X3 is bigger than 2.9V which is RMS Voltage and we will not cheat to public , and if there are something wrong when we put the data on our website, we will apologize to the public.

I know it's weird to ask but maybe you could measure both X3 (again) and the DX50 so we know what the differences are between these two?

if, unless it would be considered bad for one manufacturer to measure other manufacturers devices...

On the other note:

I have DX50 and If I get an impedance adapter with say 50 or 75 ohms and couple it with low impedance phones, it will do the trick, right? or Am I missing something here?

Oct 16, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #105 of 297

I know it's weird to ask but maybe you could measure both X3 (again) and the DX50 so we know what the differences are between these two?

if, unless it would be considered bad for one manufacturer to measure other manufacturers devices...

haha, I don't think testing other manufactures products can be considered sporting.

Users who are viewing this thread

• This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.