iBasso DX300 Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 Octa-core 6GB RAM ******NEW Firmware 2.00 Android 11******
Mar 7, 2021 at 2:04 AM Post #4,712 of 14,593
Discussion about which DAP (IEM/headphone...etc) is better are just abstractions and simplifications... better is never in absolute terms.

Since we're talking about those, I own both M8 and DX300 and I'd rate them equally great, but different flavors in terms of sound. Both are unique sounding IMHO for different reasons. This is one big positive IMHO over the vast majority of the market that is just a variant of a brand of sound. This will make both polarizing as well, they won't be for everybody. They do have a common trait though, it's that "analog" quality that is hard to peg down but for me translate into rich textures, smoothness and liquid quality with smooth attack and decay. DX300 is the smoothest of both though, it's tubey especially when you reach several hundred of hours on it. M8 is punchier down low and snappier with faster decay, DX300 has more midrange emphasis. DX300 is the biggest soundstage I have experienced especially depth and layering is breathtaking... I consider myself lucky to own both and switch depending on IEM synergy and mood :)

Depending on personal preferences, gear you use, your use case one or the other (or another one entirely) might qualify. I know I also like to switch to the R6 2020 with its snappy attack and ultra fast decay, it works well for some pairing too. So the "best" is always something that makes me smile.

You're right about amp cards, I think so far people are not talking about it and that's because AMP11 is pretty amazing to begin with that people are not already dreaming of another one. I sure am excited at the prospect of upcoming AMP1x cards

I agree on your take on how evaluating daps/iems and headphones. I wanted to write in my original post that past a certain point it becomes more of a matter of individual taste and how a certain signature match with specific headphones/iems. And also different needs for different users. No product is going to match everybody’s preferences, people who are in this hobby for more than 2-3yrs knows that :)

So let’s say that the comment about the m8 being ‘painfully’ slow is only a subjective opinion given by the specific needs of a user and such is ‘the dx300 is an apple watch while m8 is a rolex’. Too extreme comments imho :)

Mar 7, 2021 at 3:53 AM Post #4,713 of 14,593
and such is ‘the dx300 is an apple watch while m8 is a rolex’. Too extreme comments imho :)

That was actually supposed to be a compliment and was not intended in anyway to be harsh about the DX.

I believe the Apple Watch to be a piece of art and technically one of a kind.

The analogy and reference between the 2 relating the DX to the Apple Watch and the M8 to a Rolex were referencing the differences in technology and the look and feel.

My comments were not meant in anyway to say one is better than the other. Both are as good as each other in different ways and different people will choose different DAPS for their own personal needs.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2021 at 4:50 AM Post #4,714 of 14,593
What a discussion! We agree that the iWatch is better than a Rolex. Because it shows the time very accurately and has more features while Rolex is better built and is not 100% accurate. lol
Seriously, if someone doesn't like the DX300, they should stay away from this thread and not try to bad mouth the DX300. Everyone here knows what they get out of the DX300. It borders on trolling and advertising the other brands. Please let's continue to have fun with DX300 further

Mar 7, 2021 at 4:56 AM Post #4,715 of 14,593
What a discussion! We agree that the iWatch is better than a Rolex. Because it shows the time very accurately and has more features while Rolex is better built and is not 100% accurate. lol
Seriously, if someone doesn't like the DX300, they should stay away from this thread and not try to bad mouth the DX300. Everyone here knows what they get out of the DX300. It borders on trolling and advertising the other brands. Please let's continue to have fun with DX300 further

Open discussion about the pro's and con's comparing different DAPS against each other is healthy and informative IMHO.

Telling people to keep quite is on the verge of dictatorship.

But i do agree on one thing...Lets move on and discuss the pros and cons of the DX.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2021 at 6:32 AM Post #4,716 of 14,593
IEM help please guys. Currently using Fiio fh3 with the dx300 and it sounds fantastic, however I'd like something with a bit more base, so any recommendations around the £200-£300 mark that would fit the bill?
Also, should I be looking at 4.4mm balanced to give me a better sound than the 3.5mm?

Mar 7, 2021 at 6:49 AM Post #4,717 of 14,593
IEM help please guys. Currently using Fiio fh3 with the dx300 and it sounds fantastic, however I'd like something with a bit more base, so any recommendations around the £200-£300 mark that would fit the bill?
Also, should I be looking at 4.4mm balanced to give me a better sound than the 3.5mm?

Fiio FH7 sound good if you like the Fiio stuff already

Balanced will give you more power if the monitors require it.

Mar 7, 2021 at 8:44 AM Post #4,718 of 14,593
Anybody happens to own or have a chance to try any TOTL IEMs with DX300? I'd appreciate your input. I am thinking of the following synergy: Unique Melody MEST, 64audio U12T, Sony IER Z1R, SONY IER M9, Dunu Luna.

Any fantastic combinations in addition to these would be greatly appreciated. I love the DX300 so much that I am now ready to consider trying out another IEM in the upper price range to explore its potentials. Want to do some more research before pulling the trigger on anything. Thanks!

Mar 7, 2021 at 9:42 AM Post #4,720 of 14,593
I'm a big fan of my dx228 ex

I haven't compared the two directly.
But i'm loving the sound as per usual love the sound from focal Stellia brings the best out in these.

Massive sound stage and clean defined sound. Mid bass is muddled at 20/hours but that's expected during burn in. Previous experience tells me once settled the bass gets more dynamic , controlled and grand like.

Got my Solaris out and pairings just suburb. Was gonna sell them but might just keep now. Massive sound and very small hiss on medium gain. These are sensitive IEMs.

Don't care much for m8 or A&K comparison etc but can say this amp is just excellent sounding and I'm enjoying my music :)

In comparison to dx228 I see this DAP more versatile yeah its big. But transportable and the fact I can be on headfi forums and navigate Amazon HD at Leasure alone justifys my purchase.

Mar 7, 2021 at 9:50 AM Post #4,721 of 14,593
You can try Sony XBA-N3, pair it with some balanced copper litz cable and enjoy! DX 300 improves the treble extension and boosts the bass a bit.

Mar 7, 2021 at 10:09 AM Post #4,722 of 14,593
Anybody happens to own or have a chance to try any TOTL IEMs with DX300? I'd appreciate your input. I am thinking of the following synergy: Unique Melody MEST, 64audio U12T, Sony IER Z1R, SONY IER M9, Dunu Luna.

Any fantastic combinations in addition to these would be greatly appreciated. I love the DX300 so much that I am now ready to consider trying out another IEM in the upper price range to explore its potentials. Want to do some more research before pulling the trigger on anything. Thanks!

I have the 64 audio nio and DX300 is one of the best combination i have tried it with, smooth treble and good extension with good details all around and great soundstage. Ability to tune it with apex module is a plus and with some good cable and it scales up pretty well, even better treble extension, wider sound stage and more rumble
8499ED46-BA8E-4129-B361-16215D54E4A0.jpeg

Mar 7, 2021 at 10:19 AM Post #4,723 of 14,593
I have the 64 audio nio and DX300 is one of the best combination i have tried it with, smooth treble and good extension with good details all around and great soundstage. Ability to tune it with apex module is a plus and with some good cable and it scales up pretty well, even better treble extension, wider sound stage and more rumble8499ED46-BA8E-4129-B361-16215D54E4A0.jpeg

wow the Nio is quite a looker! Have you tried the U12t and compared with Nio yet?

Mar 7, 2021 at 10:23 AM Post #4,724 of 14,593
I have the 64 audio nio and DX300 is one of the best combination i have tried it with, smooth treble and good extension with good details all around and great soundstage. Ability to tune it with apex module is a plus and with some good cable and it scales up pretty well, even better treble extension, wider sound stage and more rumble
Funny cause I tried this pairing when discovering the DX300 of a friend.
I found it awful... Darkish, low level of detail and poor resolution. Just listened 10 minutes to figure out that something was not matching correctly for my ears.

Hope I'll be able to listen to DX300 with my gear.

Mar 7, 2021 at 10:25 AM Post #4,725 of 14,593
wow the Nio is quite a looker! Have you tried the U12t and compared with Nio yet?
Yes i have tried the U12t but only demo sessions A/B ing them. Depends on what you are looking for i think. U12t feels more neutral but has good detail retrieval while nio is more musical and has dynamic driver bass impact which i prefer. Using the mx module on the nio also brings it a bit closer to the U12t

Users who are viewing this thread

Back