iBasso DX300 Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 Octa-core 6GB RAM ******NEW Firmware 2.00 Android 11******
Mar 6, 2021 at 9:28 AM Post #4,696 of 14,593
Add a cayin C9...
Or add this charro.png

Mar 6, 2021 at 9:30 AM Post #4,697 of 14,593
Also just an observation for anyone owning the DX160 and thinking of an upgrade on my fifth day of owning the DX300. I spent about 5 6 hours each day listening so far, which means I will need more burn-in time (I think Ibasso suggests at 100 hours?). The upgrade in technicality and resolution is certainly noticeable. While I think the DX160 was more neutral, the DX300 was weighted (in a manner similar to the WM1Z), lively, dynamic (but I would not call it "musical" or "colored" at least compared my previous Cayin N6ii). The openness of the sound (what I loved from the DX160) is retained and made even much better. I also like the fact that the balance output is so so powerful. It drives my Dan Clark Audio Aeon 2 with authority, hence making my killer portable setup. Overall, like somebody said in previous posts, the tuning is quite interesting for Ibasso so demo and give it a try.

Ultimately, I think the upgrade is worth it, but not urgent. If you have cash to leave aside, get the 300. Otherwise, the 160 will still serve you well. Just some preliminary thoughts. Hope this is helpful!

Mar 6, 2021 at 9:34 AM Post #4,698 of 14,593
I have been trying to find a used DX160 for awhile..

I can sell you mine if you are located in Europe :)

About the whole discussion on which dap is better, I’ve never had the chance to listen to M8 but it was on my radar for a while. Then I decided for the dx300 but I’m pretty sure the M8 is beautiful sounding as well.

I had the M6 in past, I was streaming all the time and the speed was acceptable. Not dx300 fast (no daps are at the moment) but it was OK. Liked the sound too so I can only imagine how good the M8 is.

I’m surprised nobody is taking into consideration that dx300 will have different amps cards in a while to tailor the sound to your preferencd. That is a plus in my book compared to the competition and one of the multiple reasons I went for dx300 and not m8 (The others were big screen, fast ui and availability of three ports instead of one at time in the m8 which I find limiting if you have multiple hp/iems with multiple terminations)

Mar 6, 2021 at 9:59 AM Post #4,700 of 14,593
I can sell you mine if you are located in Europe :)

About the whole discussion on which dap is better, I’ve never had the chance to listen to M8 but it was on my radar for a while. Then I decided for the dx300 but I’m pretty sure the M8 is beautiful sounding as well.

I had the M6 in past, I was streaming all the time and the speed was acceptable. Not dx300 fast (no daps are at the moment) but it was OK. Liked the sound too so I can only imagine how good the M8 is.

I’m surprised nobody is taking into consideration that dx300 will have different amps cards in a while to tailor the sound to your preferencd. That is a plus in my book compared to the competition and one of the multiple reasons I went for dx300 and not m8 (The others were big screen, fast ui and availability of three ports instead of one at time in the m8 which I find limiting if you have multiple hp/iems with multiple terminations)
Yes the M8 is a wonderful sounding player, it takes 5 seconds to change the plug, but I am sure that the dx300 is good to

Mar 6, 2021 at 10:43 AM Post #4,703 of 14,593
Dang! I didn’t think it was able to handle that much. But Linux has taken a hell lot of loads off it backs eh ? What filters are being used ?
I haven't seen any hick ups with PCM up/oversampling with different filters, but DSD only up to 64 independent of the filter. 128 stops every few seconds.

Mar 6, 2021 at 11:04 AM Post #4,704 of 14,593
About the whole discussion on which dap is better, I’ve never had the chance to listen to M8 but it was on my radar for a while. Then I decided for the dx300 but I’m pretty sure the M8 is beautiful sounding as well. I had the M6 in past, I was streaming all the time and the speed was acceptable. Not dx300 fast (no daps are at the moment) but it was OK. Liked the sound too so I can only imagine how good the M8 is.

Discussion about which DAP (IEM/headphone...etc) is better are just abstractions and simplifications... better is never in absolute terms.

Since we're talking about those, I own both M8 and DX300 and I'd rate them equally great, but different flavors in terms of sound. Both are unique sounding IMHO for different reasons. This is one big positive IMHO over the vast majority of the market that is just a variant of a brand of sound. This will make both polarizing as well, they won't be for everybody. They do have a common trait though, it's that "analog" quality that is hard to peg down but for me translate into rich textures, smoothness and liquid quality with smooth attack and decay. DX300 is the smoothest of both though, it's tubey especially when you reach several hundred of hours on it. M8 is punchier down low and snappier with faster decay, DX300 has more midrange emphasis. DX300 is the biggest soundstage I have experienced especially depth and layering is breathtaking... I consider myself lucky to own both and switch depending on IEM synergy and mood :)

Depending on personal preferences, gear you use, your use case one or the other (or another one entirely) might qualify. I know I also like to switch to the R6 2020 with its snappy attack and ultra fast decay, it works well for some pairing too. So the "best" is always something that makes me smile.

You're right about amp cards, I think so far people are not talking about it and that's because AMP11 is pretty amazing to begin with that people are not already dreaming of another one. I sure am excited at the prospect of upcoming AMP1x cards

Mar 6, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #4,705 of 14,593
I think I said it like 3 pages ago, this is all very subjective and there is no right or wrong. It is however the iBasso thread. The DX300 is a fine DAP. You can be proud of your purchase, just enjoy it. Just because it didn't check the right boxes for me, means absolutely nothing, except that. I am very blessed to have owned or own the R8, M8, M15, SP2000 and DX300. I have probably 6 others in a drawer that I never use.

How do I know what personal enjoyment your purchases bring you? I don't. I can only speak from my own personal experience and I clearly say "In my opinion". My best can change from one listening session to the next. There are some days, nothing sounds great. It is those days I stop listening and pick it up again at a later time and find my love again.

Enjoy what you have, never forget about the music. It is a sad story to look at my profile and the amount of gear I have owned, pathetic. My signature line on my posts pretty much sums up how I feel.

Mar 6, 2021 at 11:32 AM Post #4,706 of 14,593
Just about finished reading this thread and it has me wanting to purchase the dx300 for use with my Aryas, I've looked at many DAPs and it seems that this is one of the few that would be able to power them properly.

Any thoughts on dx300 > Arya would compare to my current desktop setup of USBridge (MoodeAudio) > Audio GD DI-20 > D90 > A90 > Arya?

Impressions of this device seem to be particularly good, but I have a hard time believing that such a small box could rival what is a pretty huge desktop setup.

Mar 6, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #4,707 of 14,593
20210306_181014.jpg

Very good synergy with CA Atlas.Wide soundstage with good depth,organic and detailed mids,keeps the texture but tightens the lows to the point you don't feel this is too bassheavy iem.Like the tonality a lot but the treble could be a bit more extended and airy especially compared to AK Ultima.It's a very balanced dap,not a technical monster by any means but more of a listeners dap,without aggresive edges in the mids and treble.

Just 10h in so can't wait to see what more burn in will improve but definitely a keeper.Screen is gorgeous,everything is fast and fluid,it might even be able to play some games apart from videos.

Mar 6, 2021 at 11:52 AM Post #4,708 of 14,593
This is one big positive IMHO over the vast majority of the market that is just a variant of a brand of sound.
That is very right, it is a different flavor. It has tamed highs but the mid bass and female vocals just pop up, with different distances relative to the rest and that gives an impressive depth feeling. Also the stage to the sides is very large. The background is very clean, so although it hasn't got the fastest attack, instrument separation is very good.

These pop ups may not work if 1) your IEMs/HPs are also adding on top of that 2) you are sensitive to that frequency regions 3) you prefer it to be smoother and more in-line with the rest of the sound. But there are many days, I just don't want to reach to my desktop DAC/amp and stay with DX300 for the convenience and it works. The oversampling of my music to 3xx kHz helped with the extension in the upper registers a bit. It is also easier to EQ with UAPP PEQ.

Mar 6, 2021 at 2:31 PM Post #4,710 of 14,593

Users who are viewing this thread

Back