iBasso DX300 Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 Octa-core 6GB RAM ******NEW Firmware 2.00 Android 11******
Feb 7, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #3,737 of 14,618
Still cannot detect Hi-Res DAC to play....
BTW, is it compulsory to buy "MQA playback" in UAPP for Tidal? I think it's for MQA first layer("core decoder"), and maybe I don't need this if DX300 is already capable of full decoding with its DAC?

thx
Might be, but where can it be purchased anyway?
Couldn't select it in my old version either in Playstore or in the app itself

Feb 7, 2021 at 10:27 AM Post #3,738 of 14,618
Might be, but where can it be purchased anyway?
Couldn't select it in my old version either in Playstore or in the app itself
The MQA playback purchase is available in 5.9.1(not in 5.8.9, I've been there)
Well but I actually bought it with my previous DAP (Shanling M6 Pro, which is no MQA support)
So this kind of in-app purchase is equipment-specific? Do I have to purchase again as long as I buy a new DAP?

Feb 7, 2021 at 10:29 AM Post #3,739 of 14,618
The MQA playback purchase is available in 5.9.1(not in 5.8.9, I've been there)
Well but I actually bought it with my previous DAP (Shanling M6 Pro, which is no MQA support)
So this kind of in-app purchase is equipment-specific? Do I have to purchase again as long as I buy a new DAP?
No, it’s tied to your Google Play account, not your device.

Feb 7, 2021 at 10:43 AM Post #3,740 of 14,618
Yes I downloaded UAPP free with my Google Play account since I have bought it before.
But MQA playback function is not automatically activated.
Not sure where to activate it if I don't have to pay for it again.

Feb 7, 2021 at 10:58 AM Post #3,741 of 14,618
BTW, is it compulsory to buy "MQA playback" in UAPP for Tidal? I think it's for MQA first layer("core decoder"), and maybe I don't need this if DX300 is already capable of full decoding with its DAC?

thx

Not sure. DX300 can decode if you use the Tidal app. Maybe you have to buy the MQA module if you want to decode within UAPP. You can contact UAPP developers.

Feb 7, 2021 at 11:23 AM Post #3,742 of 14,618
Not sure. DX300 can decode if you use the Tidal app. Maybe you have to buy the MQA module if you want to decode within UAPP. You can contact UAPP developers.

Well I found the problem was probably on my own... with wrong settings.
I checked everything in Settings:"Hires driver flags", which turned out to be wrong.
Anyway, UAPP now works smoothly and MQA playback is also restored.
Thanks everyone!!

Feb 7, 2021 at 11:38 AM Post #3,743 of 14,618

thx

EDIT: UAPP 5.9.1 actually works, I just had a wrong setting. However, it still cannot play DSD.

My UAPP randomly stopped detecting the dac module too. And I have no option to put perfect bitrate.

I used to have it before.

UAPP works, but no bit perfect.

Feb 7, 2021 at 3:57 PM Post #3,744 of 14,618
@Paul - iBasso

I wondered if your fine self or any other fine community member could shed some light on the following about the DX300.

Is the DX300 capable of MQA decoding the full 3 levels MQA require using its hardware? i.e. is the DX300 an full on hardware MQA decoder.

OR

Is the DX300 only capable of doing the first unfold in hardware and thereby only doing MQA rendering? i.e. the remaining unfolds are happening in software?

The reason for the question is to assist with the purchase of another DAC/AMP?

If the DX300 is doing full hardware MQA decoding then I only need an additional AMP to link with my DX300 and send the decoded stream to the AMP via S/PDIF.

If the DX300 is only doing rendering is it possible to bypass the DX300 rendering (i.e. to use the DX300 as a player/transport) and send unencoded streams via the S/PDIF to an external MQA decoder/AMP so the external device can do the full hardware unfolding?

Thanks in advance.

Sorry to bump but this is important to me and good information for the community to understand. @Paul - iBasso or anyone else that knows. Thanks

Feb 8, 2021 at 9:36 AM Post #3,745 of 14,618
Using the NOS #5 filter. Does a lot for some of the boxy sounding recording. Great with some older rock. I have been using 3 and now 5 filters. The Max and the DX300 are different enough sounding to me, that they are both worth keeping around!
I agree the nos filter 5 is closer to dx220
Makes the sound less refined .wifi is great
On dx300 but what i cant cope with is the
Screen is less bright than my lgv30
Also the power button should of remained
On top

Feb 8, 2021 at 11:21 AM Post #3,746 of 14,618
Has anyone noticed any odd/additional noises when playing mqa songs in mango android app? Anything at all that you dont notice when playing cd quality or even hi-res music?
For one example, when i hit pause on an mqa song, there is a music skip right before it pauses. There is also slight ‘static’ when resuming, or switching off the mqa music to normal music.

Feb 8, 2021 at 11:45 AM Post #3,747 of 14,618
Has anyone noticed any odd/additional noises when playing mqa songs in mango android app? Anything at all that you dont notice when playing cd quality or even hi-res music?
For one example, when i hit pause on an mqa song, there is a music skip right before it pauses. There is also slight ‘static’ when resuming, or switching off the mqa music to normal music.

I've noticed the player sometimes play odd/additional noises. I restart, and it goes away. It doesn't happen very often.

Feb 8, 2021 at 12:12 PM Post #3,748 of 14,618
I agree the nos filter 5 is closer to dx220
Makes the sound less refined .wifi is great
On dx300 but what i cant cope with is the
Screen is less bright than my lgv30
Also the power button should of remained
On top

NOS filter is not meant to be used for standart 44.1 kHz audio files. In fact, it introduces noise. In NOS mode the oversampling process and the filter stages in the DAC by-passed. The idea is, you do that outside with a software like AuI ConverteR or HQPlayer (Pro for offline) and then feed it to the DAC by copying the converted files to your player to play them or from USB input in USB-DAC mode, as on your computer you normally have much more processing power than inside the DAC and can run better algorithms.

This is also useful if the manufacturer of a device (normally a desktop) bypasses using the NOS mode by default on the DAC and employs its own algorithms for the same process using a DSP processor before the DAC. As far as I know (someone posted on Facebook that there is an actual DAC chip in Hugo the FPGA is connected to) this is what also Chord does in Hugo, for example.

You can easily download the evaluation versions of these software and try converting your files to 352 (for 44 kHz) or 384 (for 48 kHz) and then listen to the result. AuI ConverteR is the easier of the two.

https://archimago.blogspot.com/2018/11/nos-vs-digital-filtering-dacs-exploring.html

1612806084993.png

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #3,750 of 14,618
So would you say that regular listening to hi-res files on our dx300 would be better served by one of the other 4 digital filters?

Theoretically yes, if you are not listening to 384 kHz files (which I think is the limit of the DAC) but some people like to hear the extra high frequency noise. I think we can think of it like more pronounced edges of objects in a picture, which is not normally there. It will sound crispy. In practice, it is up to you, whichever sounds nicer to you.

I still couldn't lay my hands on a DX300, though. Hopefully this week.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back