iBasso DX300 Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 Octa-core 6GB RAM ******NEW Firmware 2.00 Android 11******
Mar 2, 2023 at 5:06 AM Post #14,251 of 14,593
So, your Burson discrete Amp11 drew the analog battery down below the digital battery. This speaks to the high draw of that amp, yes? I'd rather my digital battery drained much more slowly rather than my analog draining even faster! :laughing: It is nice to see more battery parity, tho.
The stock Amp13 will also do this, having to power the Korg Nutube (I imagine the Amp14 being very similar if not more so because there is more power on tap with this one). :)
It all makes sense now. The Analog battery doesn't drain much with the stock amp11 or amp12 -- which is all I have -- but matches the amp13 and amp14. It seems iBasso was planning ahead, then. I don't mind the analog/digital mismatch so much now.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2023 at 8:33 AM Post #14,252 of 14,593
It all makes sense now. The Analog battery doesn't drain much with the stock amp11 or amp12 -- which is all I have -- but matches the amp13 and amp14. It seems iBasso was planning ahead, then. I don't mind the analog/digital mismatch so much now.
Yeah, it has never been an issue for me either. With Amp11.2 and Amp12, I can get anywhere from 13 to 17 hours of playback time before the digital side dies, and there is roughly 30% left on analog. With the Amp13 I get somewhere between 6-10 hours before the analog dies with lots of digital left.

Having said that, the batteries in them are totally different specs from each other, so I never really expected them to drain equally. It really doesn't matter either way, as long as they end up charging to the same 100% (or 80% if you like that feature). I think that iBasso has done a bang-up job on this and I think a lot of people don't realize how hard this must have been to implement well.

Have you finally gone over to 2.01 or still waiting a bit like me? I'm bout ready to dive into android 11.
LOL us hold-outs.... :wink:

I think I will be giving it a go in the next couple of weeks. I haven't read any more issues with the update, so I have to assume that it is safe now.. :) Let us know when you do if you notice any changes (for the worst especially)?!

Mar 2, 2023 at 3:51 PM Post #14,253 of 14,593
Have you finally gone over to 2.01 or still waiting a bit like me? I'm bout ready to dive into android 11.

Yeah, it has never been an issue for me either. With Amp11.2 and Amp12, I can get anywhere from 13 to 17 hours of playback time before the digital side dies, and there is roughly 30% left on analog. With the Amp13 I get somewhere between 6-10 hours before the analog dies with lots of digital left.

Having said that, the batteries in them are totally different specs from each other, so I never really expected them to drain equally. It really doesn't matter either way, as long as they end up charging to the same 100% (or 80% if you like that feature). I think that iBasso has done a bang-up job on this and I think a lot of people don't realize how hard this must have been to implement well.

LOL us hold-outs.... :wink:

I think I will be giving it a go in the next couple of weeks. I haven't read any more issues with the update, so I have to assume that it is safe now.. :) Let us know when you do if you notice any changes (for the worst especially)?!
A couple of weeks ago I went from Android 9 straight to 2.01.109. No issues. I did not do a factory reset afterwards, instead running CCleaner for file cleanup. Neutron retained all its settings and continues to function just fine. My biggest concern had been wondering how Neutron would play with Android 11.

Mar 2, 2023 at 3:54 PM Post #14,254 of 14,593
A couple of weeks ago I went from Android 9 straight to 2.01.109. No issues. I did not do a factory reset afterwards, instead running CCleaner for file cleanup. Neutron retained all its settings and continues to function just fine. My biggest concern had been wondering how Neutron would play with Android 11.
Thanks for sharing. When I update, that is how I will be doing it. Straight to the latest, fixes included.... :)

Mar 3, 2023 at 10:33 AM Post #14,255 of 14,593
Highly recommend you guys to try the USB Audio Player Pro.
The sound improvements are remarkably. I think that his is because the app installs a proprietary audio driver that is better than the stock android one. After the installation the sound improvements are Android wide. This means that all streaming apps benefit from the installed driver. The app itself can do bitperfect and has Tidal and Quobuz integration.

1677857397031.jpeg

Mar 3, 2023 at 3:59 PM Post #14,256 of 14,593
Highly recommend you guys to try the USB Audio Player Pro.
The sound improvements are remarkably. I think that his is because the app installs a proprietary audio driver that is better than the stock android one. After the installation the sound improvements are Android wide. This means that all streaming apps benefit from the installed driver. The app itself can do bitperfect and has Tidal and Quobuz integration.

You have the right idea here, though UAPP doesn't install a different sound driver for the android system nor does it affect any other app. The DX300 takes care of this, allowing bit perfect playback system-wide already (as long as the app supports it). The driver you are talking about that UAPP installs is the USB-Audio driver for when you are using the USB port as an output (hence the acronym USB-Audio Player Pro). This audio driver is not used outside of the app itself. If you have more than one app that does this (like Neutron which has its own USB-Audio driver also), you will see this when plugging in anything that uses USB-Audio because it will pop up and ask if you want to use the Neutron driver or the UAPP driver.

UAPP has come a long way since the time when this was a really big deal. Back in the day when much earlier versions of android were around, you couldn't even use USB as an audio out. UAPP came to the rescue with its integrated driver that would allow this to happen. Even when Google caught up with this tech it still only allowed 16/48 as its highest output rate through USB (still do, just like the system-wide limitation on any phone that doesn't speciafically bypass it like iBasso does on all their DAPs). By this time, the app developed into a known industry giant of a music player app (like Hiby, FiiO, and Neutron to name a few), and most have forgotten where the player got its start.

BTW! it IS possible to install just a driver for USB-Audio (without a music player app) that IS system-wide... The DX160 had a mod or addon called the "Lurker addon" that installed a system-wide USB-Audio driver that allowed any app to output through USB and would bypass the android limitations of 16/48. This didn't make any app bit-perfect, but you could output higher resolutions than without this (also assuming your device supports higher bitrates via USB).

But also, you are right to like UAPP as a music player because it has been a mainstay in DAPs for some time now (along with the others I mentioned earlier).

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2023 at 6:00 PM Post #14,258 of 14,593
I see that the Dx320 just got a new update. You think the Dx300 is fixing to get another one as well?
Who can say, but if there aren't any reported issues, I sort of doubt it. I think that now they are both on the same version of android and all the amp cards are covered, they will either merge the programming together for both DAPs, or will not give further updates for the DX300... But, who knows where iBasso is concerned... They may continue to support this thing for many years to come?! :)

Mar 3, 2023 at 6:09 PM Post #14,259 of 14,593
Who can say, but if there aren't any reported issues, I sort of doubt it. I think that now they are both on the same version of android and all the amp cards are covered, they will either merge the programming together for both DAPs, or will not give further updates for the DX300... But, who knows where iBasso is concerned... They may continue to support this thing for many years to come?! :)
Rather, I HOPE they continue to support the DX300 for many years to come, because I don't plan on getting rid of it for a very long time as long as it continues to chug along... :)

Mar 3, 2023 at 8:59 PM Post #14,260 of 14,593
Rather, I HOPE they continue to support the DX300 for many years to come, because I don't plan on getting rid of it for a very long time as long as it continues to chug along... :)
I dove in off the high dive into Android 11. It took about 20min downloading the update over wifi. Everything runs smooth. All my apps respond and open faster than before. The waters just right. You can dive in now too. 😁

Mar 3, 2023 at 10:06 PM Post #14,261 of 14,593
Hey everybody, I just picked up a dx312ex from a friend of this thread a few days ago, and I gotta say it's fantastic. After fiddling around trying to figure out the updates and whatnot I got it set up and it sounds super good with my z12 and fiio em5. I've read a good bit of the thread and am very thankful for everyone's contribution, learned a lot and will keep chipping away at the 951 pages haha.

The battery drain I did experience when I updated from Android 9 to Android 11, was losing about 30% of digital battery on standby per day, but did a factory reset and everything seems to be better. Do you think it would be worth it to try and get rid of the extra apps that came preloaded? I saw a link one time from a long time ago how to optimize the device but I can't seem to find it again.

I actually read the dx320 thread too and ultimately I'm happy with the 300, it works smoothly and when I asked Paul if they were going to keep supporting the 300 he said they still do repairs for the dx100 which is 13 years old and that as long as parts are available daps should not be an issue to service. I just really like the company from what I've read and what I've experienced so far and will look out for whatever else they make in the years to come.

:beerchug:

Mar 4, 2023 at 10:05 AM Post #14,262 of 14,593
You have the right idea here, though UAPP doesn't install a different sound driver for the android system nor does it affect any other app. The DX300 takes care of this, allowing bit perfect playback system-wide already (as long as the app supports it). The driver you are talking about that UAPP installs is the USB-Audio driver for when you are using the USB port as an output (hence the acronym USB-Audio Player Pro). This audio driver is not used outside of the app itself. If you have more than one app that does this (like Neutron which has its own USB-Audio driver also), you will see this when plugging in anything that uses USB-Audio because it will pop up and ask if you want to use the Neutron driver or the UAPP driver.

UAPP has come a long way since the time when this was a really big deal. Back in the day when much earlier versions of android were around, you couldn't even use USB as an audio out. UAPP came to the rescue with its integrated driver that would allow this to happen. Even when Google caught up with this tech it still only allowed 16/48 as its highest output rate through USB (still do, just like the system-wide limitation on any phone that doesn't speciafically bypass it like iBasso does on all their DAPs). By this time, the app developed into a known industry giant of a music player app (like Hiby, FiiO, and Neutron to name a few), and most have forgotten where the player got its start.

BTW! it IS possible to install just a driver for USB-Audio (without a music player app) that IS system-wide... The DX160 had a mod or addon called the "Lurker addon" that installed a system-wide USB-Audio driver that allowed any app to output through USB and would bypass the android limitations of 16/48. This didn't make any app bit-perfect, but you could output higher resolutions than without this (also assuming your device supports higher bitrates via USB).

But also, you are right to like UAPP as a music player because it has been a mainstay in DAPs for some time now (along with the others I mentioned earlier).
Would be interesting to know on wich protocol the internal streamer section talks to the dac. If it is USB and not I2S then the DX300 could benefit from the USB driver of UAPP.

Mar 5, 2023 at 6:12 AM Post #14,263 of 14,593
Hey everybody, I just picked up a dx312ex from a friend of this thread a few days ago, and I gotta say it's fantastic. After fiddling around trying to figure out the updates and whatnot I got it set up and it sounds super good with my z12 and fiio em5. I've read a good bit of the thread and am very thankful for everyone's contribution, learned a lot and will keep chipping away at the 951 pages haha.

The battery drain I did experience when I updated from Android 9 to Android 11, was losing about 30% of digital battery on standby per day, but did a factory reset and everything seems to be better. Do you think it would be worth it to try and get rid of the extra apps that came preloaded? I saw a link one time from a long time ago how to optimize the device but I can't seem to find it again.

I actually read the dx320 thread too and ultimately I'm happy with the 300, it works smoothly and when I asked Paul if they were going to keep supporting the 300 he said they still do repairs for the dx100 which is 13 years old and that as long as parts are available daps should not be an issue to service. I just really like the company from what I've read and what I've experienced so far and will look out for whatever else they make in the years to come.

:beerchug:
Congrats on your new shiny! :)

With the DX320, I don't bother with trying to get rid of any extra apps because of the enormous battery life you get as it is. Though I suppose you COULD add some time to this by getting rid of some stuff. The best way to accomplish this would be to root your device. @Whitigir might be of more help than me as I have never felt the need to do it. :)
Would be interesting to know on wich protocol the internal streamer section talks to the dac. If it is USB and not I2S then the DX300 could benefit from the USB driver of UAPP.
The USB driver (either the stock android driver or the UAPP or Neutron driver) is for USB-Audio out only, and it bypasses the DAC and the amplifier altogether. It doesn't really have anything to do with streaming. This is used for when you want to use the DX as (just) a source for an external DAC/amp. Streaming apps go through the same sections that all other music apps go through on the DX300. USB-Audio, coaxial, and Bluetooth are the exceptions to this. If you are concerned about quality output while using your DX as a source only and don't want to use USB out, then you might just use the coaxial output as that is also output as a digital signal (before the DAC or amplifier). Hope that helps?! :)

Mar 6, 2023 at 2:33 PM Post #14,264 of 14,593
Actually I do think I am having battery issues. I charged last night and turned off the device, 51 analog and 62 digital (the analog seemed to not be charging at all last night) now I've turned it on and digital drained to 47 while off. Analog remained the same. Also digital is charging much faster than analog, though now analog is charging.

I factory reset after installing android 11 with version 2.01.109. Battery saver is on. Digital has charged to 78 in ten minutes while analog is now 57. Charger is Anker power port pd nano 20w. Will be reviewing previous posts but also any tips greatly appreciated.

Mar 6, 2023 at 4:47 PM Post #14,265 of 14,593
Actually I do think I am having battery issues. I charged last night and turned off the device, 51 analog and 62 digital (the analog seemed to not be charging at all last night) now I've turned it on and digital drained to 47 while off. Analog remained the same. Also digital is charging much faster than analog, though now analog is charging.

I factory reset after installing android 11 with version 2.01.109. Battery saver is on. Digital has charged to 78 in ten minutes while analog is now 57. Charger is Anker power port pd nano 20w. Will be reviewing previous posts but also any tips greatly appreciated.
It does indeed sound like a battery issue or an issue with android battery reporting... What does the digital battery look like in Mango?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back