iBasso DX300 Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 Octa-core 6GB RAM ******NEW Firmware 2.00 Android 11******
Mar 29, 2022 at 2:19 PM Post #11,866 of 14,593
I completely agree and would say it's still a bargain at that price. Assuming the parts included are worth it to my ears. That's what matters in the end.
I think it will also depend on how iBasso frames the competition to the coming DAP, including the relevant price bracket. DX300 was in competition to FiiO 15, Shanling M8, A&K Alpha Kahn and a notch down from Hiby R8 and Cayin N8, so it was priced very competitively relative to its immediate competitors. If it aims to go for the N8ii, FiiO M17, etc., the bracket changes (in line with materials too, to achieve this aim, as you say).

We also need to remember that the DX300 with stock Amps is not priced the same as with the heavily modded Amps (and, apparently, does not sound the same either).

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2022 at 2:20 PM Post #11,867 of 14,593
iBasso is just so solid company, the dx312EXN already plays in the league of daps which cost 2200+ dol (at least). I really appreciate their philosophy and down to earth approach in making one of the best sounding daps for a very good money (at least in comparison to other companies). The Fiio m17 is also priced very well but its not a portable device anymore. And the ability of making great amps is already widely respectable.

Mar 29, 2022 at 2:25 PM Post #11,868 of 14,593
I think it will also depend on how iBasso frames the competition to the coming DAP, including the relevant price bracket. DX300 was in competition to FiiO 15, Shanling M8, A&K Alpha Kahn and a notch down from Hiby R8 and Cayin N8, so it was priced very competitively relative to its immediate competitors. If it aims to go for the N8ii, FiiO M17, etc., the bracket changes (in line with materials too, to achieve this aim, as you say).
Shanling m8 was more competitive (but still more expensive than the stock dx300) but the Kann Alpha for me was at least 1-2 tiers below. It was bland, flat and lacked layering. Imho the lowest-positioned dap in the ak offer, which was at the level of dx312, was sp2kT.

Mar 29, 2022 at 2:30 PM Post #11,869 of 14,593
iBasso is just so solid company, the dx312EXN already plays in the league of daps which cost 2200+ dol (at least). I really appreciate their philosophy and down to earth approach in making one of the best sounding daps for a very good money (at least in comparison to other companies). The Fiio m17 is also priced very well but its not a portable device anymore. And the ability of making great amps is already widely respectable.
No doubt about iBasso (at the end of the day, I own its flagship and wouldn't let it go even for newer DAPs). My point is, if iBasso is going after the N8ii (or that sort of level, even the N8 or R8 previously), then even $2500 is a competitive price (provided materials correspond), so we can't expect TOTL sound with a price not significantly higher than $1200.

SP2K Ti, was not out yet when DX300 came out, so iBasso probably didn't aim to compete with it, it came quite later, I think. I have read similar reviews about Kahn Alpha, but what I'm saying is it was marketed at the same level as stock DX300 (i.e., not a SP2K or even SP1K). Also, DX312EXN, to be fair, is not purely iBasso, it's heavily modded. Of course all props go to iBasso for the modular design and for allowing amps to be easily modded and have a sound basis, I take nothing away from it.

Mar 29, 2022 at 6:44 PM Post #11,871 of 14,593
Even their iems are always on top in their price brackets, some of them even punching significantly higher, like IT07 which i enjoy insanely. Keep it up iBasso!
Was going to mention those, as I think they are severely underpriced when compared to the rest of the field IMHO.

Mar 29, 2022 at 6:49 PM Post #11,872 of 14,593
Was going to mention those, as I think they are severely underpriced when compared to the rest of the field IMHO.
That is absolutely correct and the reason it is such a silly fallacy to place sound on cost.

Mar 29, 2022 at 7:57 PM Post #11,874 of 14,593
Old photo
(From when i had more time and energy…)

A key is to volume match using a spl meter or spl app (close enough) when testing between daps (and /or earphones)

Even a few db differences in volume can make one dap (or earphones etc) seem thin and the other more full etc

A switcher box - even this cheapie off ebay can also help for on the second comparisons

Many daps are super close to each other. But there are some that are ‘better’ as you go up each companies chain

But yeah. Interesting experiments..from old times…

A7714544-81D6-4DB8-9EB2-1AC3F2AF68E8.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2022 at 8:03 PM Post #11,875 of 14,593
Old photo

A key is to volume match using a spl meter or spl app (close enough) when testing between daps

Even a few db differences in volume can make one dap seem thin and the other more full etc

A switcher box - even this cheapie off ebay can also help for on the second comparisons

Many daps are super close to each other. But there are some that are ‘better’ as you go up each companies chain

Absolute insanity and madness!!!

I love it. 🤣

Mar 29, 2022 at 8:07 PM Post #11,876 of 14,593
Old photo

A key is to volume match using a spl meter or spl app (close enough) when testing between daps

Even a few db differences in volume can make one dap seem thin and the other more full etc

Would you provide a link to that switcher box?

Mar 29, 2022 at 8:47 PM Post #11,877 of 14,593
Old photo

Doesn't look THAT old to me. Looks like the DX160 in the mix there?! :) Nice collection (and picture) though.

Mar 29, 2022 at 9:02 PM Post #11,878 of 14,593
Would you provide a link to that switcher box?
Search ebay ‘headphone switcher’

Just checked. I am sure they used to be cheaper…

Stock cables are so so

Doesn't look THAT old to me. Looks like the DX160 in the mix there?! :) Nice collection (and picture) though.

Seems like an Aeon ago….LOL

‘I was there Gandalf…3000 years ago…’

Mar 29, 2022 at 11:21 PM Post #11,879 of 14,593
Mar 30, 2022 at 1:15 AM Post #11,880 of 14,593
So i have decided to let go all my ideas of purchasing any other daps and went for Focal Radiance. The dx312EXN ticks all my boxes, it sounds perfect with the it07, it won against big boy M9 and i dont think there is any point in experimenting with sources as they cost kilobucks and make very slight difference, if any.
I have perfect iems for my dap and now i want some portable, full sized headphones. From reviews, seems like the Radiance will pair nicely with the dx300 (with both amps).
And they match quite nicely due to the golden accents:)
I cancelled the Monarchs as it took too much time for them to leave China.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back