iBasso DX300 Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 Octa-core 6GB RAM ******NEW Firmware 2.00 Android 11******
Mar 28, 2022 at 9:48 PM Post #11,851 of 14,593
Im starting doubting in any improvements in daps, no matter how much they cost. One of the most "shocking" moments was when i came back home after a long walk with the M9, "blessed" by the sound and picked up my old pioneer xdp-300r to compare it just for"fun". Well it wasn't funny at all, as soon as I realized that the sound quality is on almost same level. The same bass extension, very similar stage width, same detail. The only "noticeable" difference was in vocals, where the M9 was clearer and pushed back (and brighter, thinner) and the pioneer was warmer and thicker. The differences between pioneer and dx300 were similar but the IBasso had even punchier sound.

Mar 28, 2022 at 9:53 PM Post #11,852 of 14,593
Im starting doubting in any improvements in daps, no matter how much they cost. One of the most "shocking" moments was when i came back home after a long walk with the M9, "blessed" by the sound and picked up my old pioneer xdp-300r to compare it just for"fun". Well it wasn't funny at all, as soon as I realized that the sound quality is on almost same level. The same bass extension, very similar stage width, same detail. The only "noticeable" difference was in vocals, where the M9 was clearer and pushed back (and brighter, thinner) and the pioneer was warmer and thicker. The differences between pioneer and dx300 were similar but the IBasso had even punchier sound.
I tend to agree. Sad but usually true when it comes to sound signature. I feel like we mostly end up paying convenience fees for the luxurious big screens, CPUs, ram, etc...

Mar 28, 2022 at 10:49 PM Post #11,854 of 14,593

Diminishing returns dude. The most noticeable difference is basically sound signature preference after a certain price point...

Mar 28, 2022 at 11:22 PM Post #11,855 of 14,593
Looks like I'm joining this party a little late, but better late then never! While my 1Z is getting modded by Nayparm, I decided to get the AMP12EXN...which led me to quickly acquiring a DX300 on the Classifieds. I'm eager to hear with @RIGATIO has been enjoying :)

Mar 29, 2022 at 5:27 AM Post #11,856 of 14,593
Can't say I agree with you 100% there (although I do get your point). For instance, for me (and me only), the transition from DX300 Amp11.2 to DX300 Max Ti was fairly dramatic. Both burned in sufficiently, DX300 Max is on a whole different level in every technical aspect: detail, soundstage, note weight. Bass is fast, tight, detailed and, after burn-in, has acquired weight, treble is crisp, extended but not sibilant (with a decent recording). Mids are more similar, but again the 3Max adds more weight, so makes them feel not as forward. I listened to pretty much the same library with both (ok, it's grown since I owned the DX300) and the same iems. Sandisc Extreme Pro vs. Mircon WT, but whatever the difference here again it does not account for the big step-up I experienced. Thus, for me, a big difference in price is justified, though I can't say if 3x is an accurate estimate as the actual price difference implies (but in this case for the Ti you also pay for exclusivity, vintage capacitors, higher power output, etc., so not just SQ).

Also, remember DX300+Amp12EXN = $1200+$250+$250=$1700 already, so the DX320 might exceed that price tag, even by virtue of inflation pure and simple, if its implementation (esp. amp) aims for TOTL.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2022 at 6:00 AM Post #11,857 of 14,593
Even less funny is you could have gone for
this and saved your self a fortune 🤔

Mar 29, 2022 at 8:22 AM Post #11,860 of 14,593
Good news.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20220329-142017_Chrome.jpg
    SmartSelect_20220329-142017_Chrome.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 0
Mar 29, 2022 at 8:22 AM Post #11,861 of 14,593
Looks like I'm joining this party a little late, but better late then never! While my 1Z is getting modded by Nayparm, I decided to get the AMP12EXN...which led me to quickly acquiring a DX300 on the Classifieds. I'm eager to hear with @RIGATIO has been enjoying :)
Nice choice! I am sure you will like it :)

Mar 29, 2022 at 12:54 PM Post #11,862 of 14,593
Good news.
I'm pretty sure it will be comparatively reasonably priced and match iBasso's usual quality-value ratio.
Just to mention though, that answer does not necessarily exclude the option that it could be "at least 3 times as much" :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2022 at 1:49 PM Post #11,864 of 14,593
With inflation the way it is I would be surprised if it were the same price. I'm expecting anywhere from a 15% to 30% price hike.

30% would put it at $1623
15% would put it at $1436
At a minimum I'd say, if it was like for like components. Already ROHM dac chips are more expensive and we don't know what the amp and interconnects will look like. If they go for TOTL-Reference, given that DX300+Amp12EXN cost about $1700, I'd say thereabouts to begin with. Let's face it, if DX320 is a true Reference class DAP, $1700-$2000 is still in the ballpark of "reasonably-priced".

Mar 29, 2022 at 2:11 PM Post #11,865 of 14,593
At a minimum I'd say, if it was like for like components. Already ROHM dac chips are more expensive and we don't know what the amp and interconnects will look like. If they go for TOTL-Reference, given that DX300+Amp12EXN cost about $1700, I'd say thereabouts to begin with. Let's face it, if DX320 is a true Reference class DAP, $1700-$2000 is still in the ballpark of "reasonably-priced".
I completely agree and would say it's still a bargain at that price. Assuming the parts included are worth it to my ears. That's what matters in the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back