iBasso DX300 Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 Octa-core 6GB RAM ******NEW Firmware 2.00 Android 11******
Jan 23, 2022 at 10:56 AM Post #10,096 of 14,596
So I've never heard of the MKII. But I don't like the MK 1 at all. And right from the start. Was thinking about selling the DX 300 again. Then came the MKII due to delivery bottlenecks. At that time I had already toyed with the idea of ordering the MKII. But there was a rumor that Amp 12 was coming. So I waited. My personal recommendation Buy Amp 12 and send it straight to Whitigir and upgrade to 12W and depending on availability to EX if you have a particularly high gear. And assuming you live in the USA.
What's the difference between 12, 12W, and 12EX?

Jan 23, 2022 at 1:21 PM Post #10,097 of 14,596
AFAIK, you won't be able to do this, as there isn't anything on the market that I am aware of that is both capable of WPA3 and sounds as good as the DX300. In all honesty, I don't know if there ARE any DAPs that support WPA3 as of right now. It was only implemented in android 10 (which the DX300 has). As of this point, I think that the DX300 has the newest version of android (compared to other DAPs). This COULD be implemented on the DX300, so there IS that possibility, though I doubt iBasso would do it JUST for connecting to iPhone via hotspot. And you KNOW Apple will never budge from their position.

Your best bet, at this point, is either to connect to the iPhone as a DAC via USB and use the phone as the player, or use a Bluetooth connection from iPhone to the DX300 to share the hotspot (this does work). This should work ok for lower bitrates (Redbook and below I would think), but anything higher, you will get stuttering/buffering probably (though you could try it and see). But, if you decide to go another route, you will more than likely run into the same scenario (unfortunately).
I asked ibasso a little while back and they said they are working on this. I also called Apple and a upper level tech agreed that it wasn't a good move to have only WPA3 but he also didn't know of a work around.

Jan 23, 2022 at 2:44 PM Post #10,098 of 14,596
Does anyone know if there’s any DX300 stock anywhere right now? I’m in the US.
I can't find anything new, but if you would settle for used, there are some here, and on Fleabay there is one here. I am sure there are some new ones out there still (probably), but they are getting harder to find out where at this point.

Jan 23, 2022 at 3:04 PM Post #10,099 of 14,596
What's the difference between 12, 12W, and 12EX?
Amp12 is the stock amp. The W and EX mods are upgrades of components that make them sound different. Here is a quote from @Whitigir (which is the creator of the mods) about them:
The Dx300 in it native is very tube like and without tubes!!! That is the craziest thing about the Dx300. The only DAP I have heard to exhibit this phenomenon without tubes.

I love my Dx312EX by a lot and lot, because this hybrid signatures between the liquidity, the connections, engagement of musical notes in the performances, but does not lack any details and fidelity. It is just purely amazing. I did a lot of tweaking and honestly, I never expected it to be this good….but it surprised me. If anyone has ever listened to a good 2A3 tubes systems, they know how amazingly engaging it is with vocal. It is like the singer is singing right in front of you, in the acoustic room, just you, the bands, and the singer. Yes, the Dx312 can achieve that with EX. It will melt your heart, if vocal and 2A3 signatures is what you love.

The W mod on Amp12 aimed toward elevating Ibasso house sound, so it has more micro dynamics, extensions, separations and staging overall. Both are amazing, period…or should I say, Ibasso is amazing and the Dx300 is amazing

All of my impressions and references points of tunings are from HD800S/820, just FYI
If you click on the up-arrow next to his name, it will take you to the page on this thread where they are discussing it.

I asked ibasso a little while back and they said they are working on this. I also called Apple and a upper level tech agreed that it wasn't a good move to have only WPA3 but he also didn't know of a work around.
I remember now, you saying you had talked to Apple about it. I guess I didn't hear/read (or remember) iBasso was working on it.

Jan 24, 2022 at 6:40 AM Post #10,101 of 14,596
I can't find anything new, but if you would settle for used, there are some here, and on Fleabay there is one here. I am sure there are some new ones out there still (probably), but they are getting harder to find out where at this point.
..after attempting to load the latest firmware, I can't see any text on the screen, it lights up on the screen but has no text or graphics. How do you use the hardware to do a factory restore???

Jan 24, 2022 at 6:46 AM Post #10,102 of 14,596
..after attempting to load the latest firmware, I can't see any text on the screen, it lights up on the screen but has no text or graphics. How do you use the hardware to do a factory restore???
Hold forward button, then press power button. This will take you to recovery mode. Use volume wheel to make choice to factory reset, wipe data, cache, etc... then press power button to confirm highlighted selection.

Jan 24, 2022 at 7:39 AM Post #10,103 of 14,596
Testing the kineras imperial. They are almost perfect for me. Well almost.. I find the bass lacking the weight and quantity of the xelentos bass. Its not so "cinematic"? But the mids, hights, separation, layering, staging- great! The microdetail is more pronounced but more refined at the same time. Xelentos seem flat, uninspiring, almost dead in mids. Kineras pair bit better with the amp11.2. Maybe im basshead- seems like. Will burn in them more. They are addictive, very very musical, very lively and dynamic. Imho the bass is bit slower than the mids and hights, which are fast, resolving, beautiful. More to come.

Jan 24, 2022 at 8:00 AM Post #10,104 of 14,596
Hold forward button, then press power button. This will take you to recovery mode. Use volume wheel to make choice to factory reset, wipe data, cache, etc... then press power button to confirm highlighted selection.
..don't know what I'm doing wrong. I hold next button and while holding that button I press the power wheel and the screen stays black, but if I HOLD the powere button the screen lights a blank display. I tried starting from unit off and on.

Jan 24, 2022 at 8:16 AM Post #10,105 of 14,596
Testing the kineras imperial. They are almost perfect for me. Well almost.. I find the bass lacking the weight and quantity of the xelentos bass. Its not so "cinematic"? But the mids, hights, separation, layering, staging- great! The microdetail is more pronounced but more refined at the same time. Xelentos seem flat, uninspiring, almost dead in mids. Kineras pair bit better with the amp11.2. Maybe im basshead- seems like. Will burn in them more. They are addictive, very very musical, very lively and dynamic. Imho the bass is bit slower than the mids and hights, which are fast, resolving, beautiful. More to come.
And which ones do they like better from the first hearing? Kinera Nanna 1.0 or 2.0 ? I've read that the 2.0 lacks that certain something, that certain charm or magic. How ever you want to express it.

Jan 24, 2022 at 8:23 AM Post #10,106 of 14,596
And which ones do they like better from the first hearing? Kinera Nanna 1.0 or 2.0 ? I've read that the 2.0 lacks that certain something, that certain charm or magic. How ever you want to express it.
I dont think they lack this "magic". Actually they are very similiar in mids and trebles, just bit cleaner and more natural i would say (from memory). They are very detailed and musical, bold and holographic. They have bit wider stage than the first version. Actually the only thing which keeps me thinking is the quantity of the bass (not the quality). Will burn them longer because i can already hear that they are opnening even more and gaining even deeper sound sig.

Jan 24, 2022 at 8:29 AM Post #10,107 of 14,596
I like the fact that they show how capable and beautiful the dx300 is in mids and trebles. They are able to extract and highlight the dx311.2's mids and hights without any harshness and unwanted peaks. This is indeed a great pairing. Will see if the bass goes deeper with time.

Jan 24, 2022 at 8:40 AM Post #10,109 of 14,596
Yes, the bass has to sit down. Let them go through a few days with high volume and bass-heavy music. Now a stupid question why do you listen with MKII and not 12?? Is the 12 on the road for the mod?
They pair bit better with the amp11.2 at the moment. In this combination the sound is very "high-end" i would say. Very very lively, natural, open, hologhraphic, layered but even at the same time. I think the amp12 is too neutral for them as they already have a neutral and natural tuning themselves. But will be swapping amps later.

Jan 24, 2022 at 8:46 AM Post #10,110 of 14,596
..don't know what I'm doing wrong. I hold next button and while holding that button I press the power wheel and the screen stays black, but if I HOLD the powere button the screen lights a blank display. I tried starting from unit off and on.
Turn the unit off. Then turn the unit on and press and hold the button closest to the volume wheel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back