iBasso DX300 Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 Octa-core 6GB RAM ******NEW Firmware 2.00 Android 11******
Jan 17, 2022 at 3:31 PM Post #9,961 of 14,593
Would there be a manual or tutorial to make the amp12w mod or know what components to buy?
Yes, I posted about it for Amp12W earlier. Not a very detailed post, but listed out the components for sure. About the EX, I have not posted it publicly yet, because the components are fading out. The major vendors have date of 2 years waiting. The pandemic has been pretty horrible

Jan 17, 2022 at 5:39 PM Post #9,963 of 14,593
I've had several opportunities to demo well regarded daps, such as Sp2000, 2000t, and Lpgt and Ive come to find that my dx300 with amp 12 sounds noticeable more polite in bass.

I've genuinely been debating if I should find a different dap all together, but now I'm absolutely hooked on the idea of modifying Amp12. Really hope more reviews arrive in regards to the modified Amp12 :)

@NaittsirK
Do you prefer amp12ex over the 12w? My main concern with the unmodified Amp12 is the laid back presentation of bass. Would the ex provide more authoritative slam compared to the original version?
From your posts it sounds like you might be in camp amp11mk2 rather than amp12.

Jan 17, 2022 at 5:41 PM Post #9,964 of 14,593
Greetings.
Can anyone suggest a remedy for repeated failure to initiate sd card scan on Mango OS (non android) ?
Just keeps reverting to now playing screen. Thanks
Can you see any numbers counting up to 100 in the middle of the screen? Sometimes hard to see.

Mine counts on the playing screen

Jan 17, 2022 at 6:14 PM Post #9,966 of 14,593
Hi Christ! We've come a long way from Variations (if you remember) 😂

I won't rant too long as this is the dx300 thread.

Im an avid believer of brain burn-in and my first impression of Odin was quite mediocre, as I found the upper-midrange to be quite thin with an ever-slight shoutiness. It most likely would have been due to me listening to other iems right before plopping on the Odin.

But after giving it a few more tries throughout the next consecutive days, the thinness and "shout" disappeared and came the absolute clarity and details unmatched by any other iems I've listened to. Odin is well regarded for its weapon IX+ bass, but I'd like to argue that its transience, detail, and clarity are what best define odin as being the totl iem it is.

I've had an ample amount of opportunities to try majority of totl iems in audio shops spread throughout Seoul (currently on vacation) and I'm excited to share that I've finally scratched my itch to hear the majority of totl iems that have been floating on headfi (70+ iems and still counting!!).

I simply cannot emphasize enough how good the dx312 has been in comparison to other daps and dacs I've had an opportunity to try. Hence the reason why I'm here in this thread hoping to see what further amplification can be done to the amp12 module :)
Lol variations. Fun times. I'm thinking of either the ext, Odin or indigo. Kind of torn right now.

Jan 17, 2022 at 6:15 PM Post #9,967 of 14,593
That’s what I was looking for. Not there
Sounds like a card issue. But you may want to do a factory reset in Android and then try again. Did you format the card? You normally don't need to but sometimes there are errors on a card and of course, formatting gets rid of them. What make of card is it?

Jan 17, 2022 at 6:50 PM Post #9,968 of 14,593
Sounds like a card issue. But you may want to do a factory reset in Android and then try again. Did you format the card? You normally don't need to but sometimes there are errors on a card and of course, formatting gets rid of them. What make of card is it?
It’s Samsung purchased directly from them. Funny cuz it worked once before and already worked today in android

Jan 17, 2022 at 6:55 PM Post #9,970 of 14,593
It’s Samsung purchased directly from them. Funny cuz it worked once before and already worked today in android
So it works with Android but not in the Mango OS?

Jan 17, 2022 at 8:36 PM Post #9,972 of 14,593
Lol variations. Fun times. I'm thinking of either the ext, Odin or indigo. Kind of torn right now.

I personally enjoyed the Phonix way more than the ext, if vision ears is your thing.

I haven't tried indigo, but having tried mest MKII and not being a fan of it, I dont think I could personally vouch for the indigo. Of course ymmv.

I could briefly compare the Odin to ext:

Their different driver composition makes them sound very different beyond tuning difference.

Mids-
Ext has a more fluid and organic mids, kinda like a warm cup of hot chocolate.
Whereas Odin's mid sound brighter, leaner, and much more tactile thanks to its incredibly punchy transience.

Treble-
Odin's treble is less emphasized compared to ext. I personal prefer this, as it balances out nicely with the sheer clarity and resolution that some could find fatiguing. Ext treble is more elevated, which I found to be nice and airy, but borderline hot, as I am quite sensitive to this area. I could see many people preferring ext due to its presence and detailed treble. If I wasn't so sensitive in the 5~8k region, I'd hands down say ext wins in this category.

Bass-
Odin's bass is cleaner and is more Subbass oriented, as opposed to the overall lift in the lower-end frequency in ext. Ext has more low-end presence by the virtue of its tuning, but odin exceeds in the sheer texture and details of its bass.

Odin wins in sheer clarity and details, and has a much punchier transience (attack and decay) that is so satisfactory to my ears. Ext has a much more full and liquid sound thanks to its dynamic-driver mids. Odin sounds leaner and open, but some could find its upper-mids a little "thin". Odin's imaging is more concise, but honestly both their imaging and soundstage are top-tier and very much comparable.

Overall, ext has a much more laidback presentation with more treble present, whereas odin demands attention through its sheer overwhelming details and clarity, while comparatively more clean from the bass to mid frequency.

I primarily listen to edm and pop, so I wholeheartedly prefer Odin's signature.

Do ask me more questions through PM, as I wouldn't like to bombard others through this side topic haha.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2022 at 8:55 PM Post #9,973 of 14,593
Well, my shiny new Amp12 will arrive Wednesday. Moon Audio has free 2day FedEx shipping right now. I had to look at a ton of different places, because most places nowadays aren't giving the DX300 case and amp card case with the purchase. So, you ONLY get the amp card and the torx driver.

Hmmm, now I have about 5 or 6 cables I need to upgrade... LOL Can anyone recommend a decently priced 4 core soft cable (for my earbuds)? MMCX and L bracket on the amp end. :thumbsup:

Jan 18, 2022 at 6:24 AM Post #9,974 of 14,593
Well, my shiny new Amp12 will arrive Wednesday. Moon Audio has free 2day FedEx shipping right now. I had to look at a ton of different places, because most places nowadays aren't giving the DX300 case and amp card case with the purchase. So, you ONLY get the amp card and the torx driver.

Hmmm, now I have about 5 or 6 cables I need to upgrade... LOL Can anyone recommend a decently priced 4 core soft cable (for my earbuds)? MMCX and L bracket on the amp end. :thumbsup:
Give your amp12 at least 250h of burn in and you will get something really special. When describing the amp12 briefly, there are 3 words coming to my mind immediately: 1. holography, 2. dynamics, 3. smoothness. The amount of air in mids is actually insane. Enjoy!

Jan 18, 2022 at 7:17 AM Post #9,975 of 14,593
Give your amp12 at least 250h of burn in and you will get something really special. When describing the amp12 briefly, there are 3 words coming to my mind immediately: 1. holography, 2. dynamics, 3. smoothness. The amount of air in mids is actually insane. Enjoy!
Fantastic! Not sure if I need to call it burn-in time though.. I still listen to my DX300 many hours /day (some more than others)... :) I do a lot of work in boiler rooms, and mechanical rooms, and I work alone, so I usually listen most of my work day, then listen again when I am home relaxing. I guess I don't consider it a chore or work at all. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Thanks for the Tip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back