iBasso DX300 Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 Octa-core 6GB RAM ******NEW Firmware 2.00 Android 11******
Jan 17, 2022 at 10:41 AM Post #9,946 of 14,596
I've had several opportunities to demo well regarded daps, such as Sp2000, 2000t, and Lpgt and Ive come to find that my dx300 with amp 12 sounds noticeable more polite in bass.

I've genuinely been debating if I should find a different dap all together, but now I'm absolutely hooked on the idea of modifying Amp12. Really hope more reviews arrive in regards to the modified Amp12 :)

@NaittsirK
Do you prefer amp12ex over the 12w? My main concern with the unmodified Amp12 is the laid back presentation of bass. Would the ex provide more authoritative slam compared to the original version?

Jan 17, 2022 at 11:39 AM Post #9,947 of 14,596
I've had several opportunities to demo well regarded daps, such as Sp2000, 2000t, and Lpgt and Ive come to find that my dx300 with amp 12 sounds noticeable more polite in bass.

I've genuinely been debating if I should find a different dap all together, but now I'm absolutely hooked on the idea of modifying Amp12. Really hope more reviews arrive in regards to the modified Amp12 :)

@NaittsirK
Do you prefer amp12ex over the 12w? My main concern with the unmodified Amp12 is the laid back presentation of bass. Would the ex provide more authoritative slam compared to the original version?
With 12 W you have a tight, dynamic and fast bass. Well structured. Much better than original Amp 12.

Jan 17, 2022 at 11:47 AM Post #9,948 of 14,596

@NaittsirK
Amp11.2 has significantly deeper bass but worse trebles. So in my opinion you will always sacrifice something with the dx300 untill you go all in and purchase the dx300MAX or one of the flagships from AK. The things that the dx300 is on the same level or even higher as mentioned flagships are dynamics, staging properties, imaging and layering. When it comes to the timbre and bass and trebles the things are more complicated until you find fantastic pairing.

Jan 17, 2022 at 11:47 AM Post #9,949 of 14,596

@NaittsirK
Amp12w makes the low end grander , solid state class A like.
Amp12ex makes it sound expensive, faster with better definition more audiophile like and perhaps (high end)tube-like.

I have a feeling someone would be better off to choose W if his gear is not super high end and more fun oriented. ( Maybe sub ~ 1200$ iems) and the EX for the price range and class above that.

Jan 17, 2022 at 12:12 PM Post #9,950 of 14,596
Amp11.2 has significantly deeper bass but worse trebles. So in my opinion you will always sacrifice something with the dx300 untill you go all in and purchase the dx300MAX or one of the flagships from AK. The things that the dx300 is on the same level or even higher as mentioned flagships are dynamics, staging properties, imaging and layering. When it comes to the timbre and bass and trebles the things are more complicated until you find fantastic pairing.

Unfortunately never got the opportunity to try amp11 MKII since I bought mine from another headfi user. However, after having tried the said "flagship" ak daps and Lpgt, I've come to appreciate how good my dx312 is. I find the dx312 to have a wider soundstage with a complex imaging that corresponds to its soundstage. AK seems to have garnered its reputation with their house tuning (which was enjoyable), but I didn't find it to be miraculous beside its tight articulative bass compared to the dx312 and a more concise imaging at the cost of soundstage (compared to dx312).

The Lpgt on the other hand... didn't really resonate with me in any ways with its neutral sound signature. I honestly preferred the dx312 in spite of my complaint of its polite (or how some may describe as "wooly") bass.

All comparisons were done with the Odin :)

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2022 at 12:15 PM Post #9,951 of 14,596
Amp12w makes the low end grander , solid state class A like.
Amp12ex makes it sound expensive, faster with better definition more audiophile like and perhaps (high end)tube-like.

I have a feeling someone would be better off to choose W if his gear is not super high end and more fun oriented. ( Maybe sub ~ 1200$ iems) and the EX for the price range and class above that.
Recently purchased the Odin from another headfier after getting a chance to demo them from an audio shop.

Would be excited to get mine modified to EX and leave a review behind. Still at the fence from making my final decision, but this new revelation of modification is bringing delight to my audiophile joy 😂

Jan 17, 2022 at 12:24 PM Post #9,952 of 14,596
Amp12 EX incoming...
I have Amp11 MK1 and MK2; was interested in Amp12 mainly because of the additional power it has, and after reading impressions about both the W and EX mods, I just sent a new Amp12 directly to @Whitigir to have him work his magic.
Looking forward to hearing his work, although I won't be able to compare to either the stock 12 or 12W.

Jan 17, 2022 at 12:29 PM Post #9,953 of 14,596
Unfortunately never got the opportunity to try amp11 MKII since I bought mine from another headfi user. However, after having tried the said "flagship" ak daps and Lpgt, I've come to appreciate how good my dx312 is. I find the dx312 to have a wider soundstage with a complex imaging that corresponds to its soundstage. AK seems to have garnered its reputation with their house tuning (which was enjoyable), but I didn't find it to be miraculous beside its tight articulative bass compared to the dx312 and a more concise imaging at the cost of soundstage (compared to dx312).

The Lpgt on the other hand... didn't really resonate with me in any ways with its neutral sound signature. I honestly preferred the dx312 in spite of my complaint of its polite (or how some may describe as "wooly") bass.

All comparisons were done with the Odin :)
I think that the dx312 is just plain fantastic. As you mentioned the only thing which just slightly bothers me is shy bass. But still it's a bass of great technicalities. So for me the only thing people can complain about the anp12 is the timbre if it doesn't hit their spot. Everything is top notch. And i agree with you about the AK players. Their flagship models have very nice timbre and bass but the staging is congested in comparison to the dx311.2/312. The dynamics are also better on the dx300. I think you should try the amp11.2 if possible, it has even wider stage than the 12. It's the widest stage I've heard on daps and one of the widest from all stationary rigs I've had a chance to listen to.

Jan 17, 2022 at 12:39 PM Post #9,955 of 14,596
DX312 bass shy :question:
It's full, dynamic and hard hitting.
Unless you want a dominant bass but this isn't something a high end amplifier should do.
It must be dead flat with great technicalities.
Well like the AMP12!!!
Sure we love it! For me the bass on the amp12 is almost perfect and the technical level of it makes up for it's flat response. And agree, the amp12 is dead flat, reference, with fantastic analogue timbre.

Jan 17, 2022 at 12:45 PM Post #9,957 of 14,596
I think that the dx312 is just plain fantastic. As you mentioned the only thing which just slightly bothers me is shy bass. But still it's a bass of great technicalities. So for me the only thing people can complain about the anp12 is the timbre if it doesn't hit their spot. Everything is top notch. And i agree with you about the AK players. Their flagship models have very nice timbre and bass but the staging is congested in comparison to the dx311.2/312. The dynamics are also better on the dx300. I think you should try the amp11.2 if possible, it has even wider stage than the 12. It's the widest stage I've heard on daps and one of the widest from all stationary rigs I've had a chance to listen to.
Man I should really try to get my hands on them if possible. But, seeing that I may as well get my Amp12 modified by @Whitigir I'm not sure if there will be any incentives to spend even more money haha.

DX312 bass shy :question:
It's full, dynamic and hard hitting.
Unless you want a dominant bass but this isn't something a high end amplifier should do.
It must be dead flat with great technicalities.
Well like the AMP12!!!

I think "shy" may have been relative in comparison to other high-end daps out in the market. I do prefer the more bold and authoritative thump, compared to the more Subbass focus dx312.
With that being said, dx312's technicality has been absolute top notch from my experience :)

Jan 17, 2022 at 1:14 PM Post #9,958 of 14,596
Would there be a manual or tutorial to make the amp12w mod or know what components to buy?

Jan 17, 2022 at 1:16 PM Post #9,959 of 14,596
Recently purchased the Odin from another headfier after getting a chance to demo them from an audio shop.

Would be excited to get mine modified to EX and leave a review behind. Still at the fence from making my final decision, but this new revelation of modification is bringing delight to my audiophile joy 😂
How do you like the ODIN? Any harshness to speak of?

Jan 17, 2022 at 1:35 PM Post #9,960 of 14,596
How do you like the ODIN? Any harshness to speak of?
Hi Christ! We've come a long way from Variations (if you remember) 😂

I won't rant too long as this is the dx300 thread.

Im an avid believer of brain burn-in and my first impression of Odin was quite mediocre, as I found the upper-midrange to be quite thin with an ever-slight shoutiness. It most likely would have been due to me listening to other iems right before plopping on the Odin.

But after giving it a few more tries throughout the next consecutive days, the thinness and "shout" disappeared and came the absolute clarity and details unmatched by any other iems I've listened to. Odin is well regarded for its weapon IX+ bass, but I'd like to argue that its transience, detail, and clarity are what best define odin as being the totl iem it is.

I've had an ample amount of opportunities to try majority of totl iems in audio shops spread throughout Seoul (currently on vacation) and I'm excited to share that I've finally scratched my itch to hear the majority of totl iems that have been floating on headfi (70+ iems and still counting!!).

I simply cannot emphasize enough how good the dx312 has been in comparison to other daps and dacs I've had an opportunity to try. Hence the reason why I'm here in this thread hoping to see what further amplification can be done to the amp12 module :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back