iBasso DX300 Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 Octa-core 6GB RAM ******NEW Firmware 2.00 Android 11******
Jul 2, 2021 at 3:55 AM Post #7,021 of 14,596
Im using low gain 45-70 vol. It drains like 7% max per hour. I think on medium gain will be 2-3% more. Nothing to worry about in my opinion.
But the gain should only affect the analog battery, right? Digital battery should not be affected by the gain or volume you use... Or am I wrong?

Jul 2, 2021 at 6:34 AM Post #7,022 of 14,596
I for one am hoping for a DX330 with a smaller footprint and nicer knob design

Agree, smaller footprint with same amp module would be amazing..

Jul 2, 2021 at 7:31 AM Post #7,023 of 14,596
Thinking of picking this one. But I wondering how long the support will be? Before something like dx330 or something appear..

The release gap between DX200 and DX220 was 2 years (2017 and 2019). DX300 was released in 2021, it is still relatively new, so probably give it 2yrs before DX330. But who knows, DX300 MAX was an unexpected surprise, considering DX220 MAX was in 2020. Though keep in mind, MAX is not an upgrade of a regular baseline model, it is a different non modular special edition version.

In general, iBasso is not like some other companies who announce/release new daps every 6 months. And, the modular design means they could release more new amp modules before DAP upgrade.

Jul 2, 2021 at 12:32 PM Post #7,024 of 14,596
Okay. This time I was much more careful and I looked closely at the battery levels. When I started the dialog about my DX300 battery, it was about 10:45 am my time. I had already been listening to music for about 3 hours and the battery level was about 87%. The battery app said it would last until about 11:45 pm that day. I ended up listening for about 8 hours and by 10 pm, the battery was at 33%. I charged the battery to 100%, left it on and went to sleep around 1 am. I am up now at 6 am. The battery level is at 98%. Not sure what I did 2 days ago. Maybe I forgot to charge it and thought I did. Not sure. But, I did learn that the DX300 batteries are a marvel. Longest battery life of any of my portable products.

Jul 2, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #7,025 of 14,596
Okay. This time I was much more careful and I looked closely at the battery levels. When I started the dialog about my DX300 battery, it was about 10:45 am my time. I had already been listening to music for about 3 hours and the battery level was about 87%. The battery app said it would last until about 11:45 pm that day. I ended up listening for about 8 hours and by 10 pm, the battery was at 33%. I charged the battery to 100%, left it on and went to sleep around 1 am. I am up now at 6 am. The battery level is at 98%. Not sure what I did 2 days ago. Maybe I forgot to charge it and thought I did. Not sure. But, I did learn that the DX300 batteries are a marvel. Longest battery life of any of my portable products.
When you talk about battery, do you always refer to digital battery? in a device like the DX300 it is confusing to speak simply of battery as a general concept.

Jul 2, 2021 at 12:52 PM Post #7,026 of 14,596
When you talk about battery, do you always refer to digital battery? in a device like the DX300 it is confusing to speak simply of battery as a general concept.
Sorry, I am not used to the idea of 2 different batteries levels. My C9 has 4 batteries, but they are measured as one. When I talk about battery life, I am talking about the percentage displayed in the battery app of settings. It is reported as 1 number and appears to be measuring the digital battery. Digital battery is currently reading 94% which is the same as the battery app.

Jul 3, 2021 at 1:42 AM Post #7,027 of 14,596
@Paul - iBasso this is extracted from the first post:
Patented dual battery supplies architecture. The digital part of the player and the amp part has a separate, independent power supply.

What then can be the explanation for that when changing from medium to high gain maintaining the same volume (40) the battery that increases its consumption is the digital one instead of the analog one?

Does that make any sense? Because I have done quite a few tests, and I always get the same result.
Does my DX300 have a problem?

Jul 3, 2021 at 4:54 AM Post #7,028 of 14,596
My custom EASECASE A6 leathercase for the DX300 has arrived:

Front_Empty.jpg

Back_Empty.jpg

Front.jpg

Side.jpg

Bottom.jpg

Also the Dust Covers from EASECASE has arrived:

Dust_Top.jpg

Dust_Bottom.jpg

Jul 3, 2021 at 9:12 AM Post #7,030 of 14,596
That answers the question then, at least for the DX220Max. They would use the ground and the R and L positive and not connect the negative R and L. Some amp circuits do fine with this.

Bringing this topic back up in case it can help any others as well, but this time regarding 4.4mm to dual RCA - does anyone know how the wiring for this should be configured so that there is no damage caused?

I saw LQi cables (they're relatively well known and I've purchased from them before) makes a 4.4mm to dual RCA cable specifically to use DAPs as a souce for desktop amps:

https://lqicables.com/products/balanced-4-4mm-trrrs-to-dual-rca-male

I would assume they'd know what they're doing... but I emailed them asking how they set up the wiring for this and they responded with the below:

From the 4.4 mm plug to the RCA plugs:

L+ goes to L+
L- goes to L-
R+ goes to R+
R- goes to R-

This makes me feel either dumb or like the rep was being dismissive and/or makes me feel even dumber because he's dismissing me cause I'm dumb. 😅

Seems so straightforward in that scenario... doesn't seem like they use the Ground though? Just repeating I clearly know squat about wiring.

Does anyone know if that's OK or if there's something more specific I need to ask?

Jul 3, 2021 at 9:31 AM Post #7,031 of 14,596
Bringing this topic back up in case it can help any others as well, but this time regarding 4.4mm to dual RCA - does anyone know how the wiring for this should be configured so that there is no damage caused?

I saw LQi cables (they're relatively well known and I've purchased from them before) makes a 4.4mm to dual RCA cable specifically to use DAPs as a souce for desktop amps:

I would assume they'd know what they're doing... but I emailed them asking how they set up the wiring for this and they responded with the below:

L+ goes to L+
L- goes to L-
R+ goes to R+
R- goes to R-

This makes me feel either dumb or like the rep was being dismissive and/or makes me feel even dumber because he's dismissing me cause I'm dumb. 😅

Seems so straightforward in that scenario... doesn't seem like they use the Ground though? Just repeating I clearly know squat about wiring.

Does anyone know if that's OK or if there's something more specific I need to ask?
Your not dumb. You asked a legitimate question and the information they gave you is wrong, if going from the 4.4 to an RCA. The L- and R- are not used and the ground on the TRRRS, which is the S (sleeve), has to be used So it is L+ and G and R+ and G. for the RCA end.

Jul 3, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #7,032 of 14,596

L+ goes to L+
L- goes to L-
R+ goes to R+
R- goes to R-

Why I said specifically to be careful before is that, there are also 2.5mm to RCA cables which for sure does not have ground - main difference of 2.5mm vs 4.4mm other than the physical difference. I personally would be very careful with a company that builds both and doesn't specifically mention that they use the ground pin properly. For example this

https://de.aliexpress.com/item/32890755479.html

I would always ask such a question. Even before buying the iFi 4.4mm to 2 x XLR cable, I preferred to ask them that the ground pin is connected. I think it is the right question. But the answer they gave makes that cable questionalble for me.

Jul 3, 2021 at 10:10 AM Post #7,033 of 14,596
Your not dumb. You asked a legitimate question and the information they gave you is wrong, if going from the 4.4 to an RCA. The L- and R- are not used and the ground on the TRRRS, which is the S (sleeve), has to be used So it is L+ and G and R+ and G. for the RCA end.
Yup. The only dumb one is the rep. His wiring effectively shorts the L and R down phase at the destination. :rolling_eyes:

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2021 at 10:11 AM Post #7,034 of 14,596

Why I said specifically to be careful before is that, there are also 2.5mm to RCA cables which for sure does not have ground - main difference of 2.5mm vs 4.4mm other than the physical difference. I personally would be very careful with a company that builds both and doesn't specifically mention that they use the ground pin properly. For example this

https://de.aliexpress.com/item/32890755479.html

I would always ask such a question. Even before buying the iFi 4.4mm to 2 x XLR cable, I preferred to ask them that the ground pin is connected. I think it is the right question. But the answer they gave makes that cable questionalble for me.

Thanks to you both! Appreciate the insight, its frustrating that so many cable makers don't set this up properly and put stuff out there that can damage your gear.

My temporary solution will be to use the 4.4mm to 3.5mm cable that iBasso included in the DX220 Max (was able to buy one from them) and then use a 3.5mm to dual RCA.

I don't like using so many adapters so in the long run I'll order a custom 4.4mm to dual RCA cable from Trevor at Norne Audio, I have complete confidence in him and his work :) (will still provide the background wiring info to him just as a safety net of course).

Jul 3, 2021 at 11:25 AM Post #7,035 of 14,596
Thanks to you both! Appreciate the insight, its frustrating that so many cable makers don't set this up properly and put stuff out there that can damage your gear.

My temporary solution will be to use the 4.4mm to 3.5mm cable that iBasso included in the DX220 Max (was able to buy one from them) and then use a 3.5mm to dual RCA.

I don't like using so many adapters so in the long run I'll order a custom 4.4mm to dual RCA cable from Trevor at Norne Audio, I have complete confidence in him and his work :) (will still provide the background wiring info to him just as a safety net of course).
Sounds like you are getting it squared away. It is a good thing that you asked questions before just doing it. I might have thought about it for a minute, but then just ran it, or just come out of 3.5 to RCA. I mean, I wouldn't do that with SE headphones (for instance), but I suppose I never made the connection that it works the same way with TRRS to TRS on any system as it does for portable gear.

For me, I am glad that when running it straight to my home stereo/surround system, it has a coax in connection, which is pretty easy from the coax out of the DX300. I just have to skip my DSD files, as it doesn't play well with coax. Do let us know what you end up with and how well it works for you. I may end up checking that out after a time, so I can listen to all my music with LO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back