iBasso DX300 Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 Octa-core 6GB RAM ******NEW Firmware 2.00 Android 11******
Jan 28, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #2,926 of 14,596
So first quick feedback DX Max (burned in dunno several hundred h) vs DX300 (5h burn in)

Denon AHD9200 running on balanced out, digital filter on both player on slow roll off (they don't share the same filters due to different DAC vendors/chips)
MAX: Med Gain, Slow-Rolloff (Linear), DX300: Med Gain: Slow-Rolloff

playing Beyonce 4 (my wife's music :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:) in Mango running in Android mode
- DX300 playing warm and nice, bass impact good, mids thick and clear, good bass impact
- DX Max playing clear with authority, bigger bass impact, clearer high registers, more holographic soundstage

playing Billy Talent - devil on my shoulder
- DX Max playing clear with defined bass, high hats can be recognised and clearly separated from the rest
- DX300 playing not as clear as max, high hats can be separated but sound more melted into the rest

playing Birdy - Skinny Love
- DX300 showing nice deep stage, piano sounds a bit thick and congested, voice nice and unfatiguing
- DX Max playing clear and holographic right from the start, piano is clear, voice getting higher and airy but not piercing

playing London Grammar - Hey Now
- DX Max playing clear and holographic right from the start, voice is vibrating into the listener, punchy bass, good seperation
- DX300 deep stage, voice sounds darker in comparison, doesn't get as airy as max, bass more muddy and congested in comparison

so right from the start I would say the DX300 doesn't sound bad, but in comparison to DX MAX congested, I would even say in that condition it's an unfair battle.
Will burn in more and then check again at the weekend

Not so interesting for most of you but wanted to mention: seems bluetooth implementation hasn't been progressed since DX2xx, still only Apple devices could send their audio to the Ibasso device, my soundbar doesn't recognise the DX300.
So for watching TV I will still need to use my tiny Qudelix5k.

Keeping on listening on the DX300 is satisfying, it isn't really sounding bad, on the Denon phones it really sounds more tube-like in the early condition vs reference-authority-max-sound.
That can also be a plus depending on the music mix.
Thanks for sharing! Keep please posting, I’m very curious how signature will evolve with burning :)

Jan 28, 2021 at 4:58 PM Post #2,927 of 14,596
Thanks for sharing! Keep please posting, I’m very curious how signature will evolve with burning :)
Sure, pal.
For now, you can stay happy with the MAX without sleepless nights :wink:

Jan 28, 2021 at 5:02 PM Post #2,928 of 14,596
Also, applying the glass screen protector on the dx300 is a PITA!!!

I recommend to do it immediately as soon as you peel off that black vinyl on the screen out of the box. So you don’t have any speck of dust that could create bubbles
<- this people, do not make the same mistake i did. also turn the screen on so you can allign it exactly with the pixels.

Jan 28, 2021 at 5:04 PM Post #2,929 of 14,596
Also, applying the glass screen protector on the dx300 is a PITA!!!

I recommend to do it immediately as soon as you peel off that black vinyl on the screen out of the box. So you don’t have any speck of dust that could create bubbles
yep, I thought the same and directly applied it, waiting for the beforehand recommended Samsung S9 protector to arrive for the back.
From the ergonomically point of you of course it's no comparison to max.
It's so effortless to keep the DX300 in your hands and travel through menus, also in streaming apps, no comparison to the rather slow max (whereas I have to say my max is Lurker-ROM-optimized for music at the cost of performance of os-speed.
Whereas I have to say I love the analogue volume wheel more on the max and it stays like a tank on my desk while unplugging and replugging phones when switching back and forth :wink:

Listening more also to some other metal songs I have to say that the DX300 really has a tube personality even with D3 filter. Actually I bought it for that personality as sometimes max seemed a bit to "max" for me. DX300 feels like relaxing in a (bath)tube :relieved:

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2021 at 5:07 PM Post #2,930 of 14,596
So first quick feedback DX Max (burned in dunno several hundred h) vs DX300 (5h burn in)

Denon AHD9200 running on balanced out, digital filter on both player on slow roll off (they don't share the same filters due to different DAC vendors/chips)
MAX: Med Gain, Slow-Rolloff (Linear), DX300: Med Gain: Slow-Rolloff

playing Beyonce 4 (my wife's music :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:) in Mango running in Android mode
- DX300 playing warm and nice, bass impact good, mids thick and clear, good bass impact
- DX Max playing clear with authority, bigger bass impact, clearer high registers, more holographic soundstage

playing Billy Talent - devil on my shoulder
- DX Max playing clear with defined bass, high hats can be recognised and clearly separated from the rest
- DX300 playing not as clear as max, high hats can be separated but sound more melted into the rest

playing Birdy - Skinny Love
- DX300 showing nice deep stage, piano sounds a bit thick and congested, voice nice and unfatiguing
- DX Max playing clear and holographic right from the start, piano is clear, voice getting higher and airy but not piercing

playing London Grammar - Hey Now
- DX Max playing clear and holographic right from the start, voice is vibrating into the listener, punchy bass, good seperation
- DX300 deep stage, voice sounds darker in comparison, doesn't get as airy as max, bass more muddy and congested in comparison

so right from the start I would say the DX300 doesn't sound bad, but in comparison to DX MAX congested, I would even say in that condition it's an unfair battle.
Will burn in more and then check again at the weekend

Not so interesting for most of you but wanted to mention: seems bluetooth implementation hasn't been progressed since DX2xx, still only Apple devices could send their audio to the Ibasso device, my soundbar doesn't recognise the DX300.
So for watching TV I will still need to use my tiny Qudelix5k.

Keeping on listening on the DX300 is satisfying, it isn't really sounding bad, on the Denon phones it really sounds more tube-like in the early condition vs reference-authority-max-sound.
That can also be a plus depending on the music mix.
I have both here and until you have a couple of hundred hours on the DX300, you haven't really heard it. :^)

Jan 28, 2021 at 5:08 PM Post #2,931 of 14,596
is there a known limitation with SD cards? my SanDisk 256GB isn't recognised in Mango OS but it is recognised in Android, in Mango App
2tb

Jan 28, 2021 at 5:28 PM Post #2,932 of 14,596
Listening with my very sensitive Andro Golds with low gain there is an audible hiss also without any music playing and volume wheel down.
In comparison DX Max is also hissing but slightly less.
Once music is playing my before-mentioned impressions with the Denon 9200 are quite similar.
Better clarity and wider stage, holography on the max, warmer tube sound on the DX300, out-of-the-box more congested in direct comparison.
An IFI IEMatch impedance adapter leverages clarity and dramatically reduces hiss but at the cost of amplification power (from low gain to high gain plus raising the volume wheel) and bass is less (I think that's due to IEmatch's output impedance to be at ca 1 Ohm and DX300 at 0,39 Ohm)
Anyway I will let DX300 burn in now for several days...

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2021 at 5:32 PM Post #2,933 of 14,596
Listening with my very sensitive Andro Golds with low gain there is an audible hiss also without any music playing and volume wheel down.
In comparison max is also hissing but slightly less
Once music is playing my before-mentioned impressions with the Denon 9200 are quite similar.
Better clarity on the max, warmer tube sound on the DX300.
Anyway I will let it burn in now for several days...
You meant several weeks :wink: ?

Yes, Dx300 has tube like transients. The most tube like would be D5 (NOS) and D1, with the D1 being more refined than D5.

Jan 28, 2021 at 6:00 PM Post #2,934 of 14,596
Interesting topic about digital filter...
just try, yes, D3 is the same way as MAX...
My favo still D2 with mid Gain... sweet spot for me.

comparing to DX228EX, for 30 minutes...
Its still have the edge for wide soundstage and Clarity over DX300, that's mean, Room for improvement....
on Layer detail, Separation (black backgrounds) and Depth, DX300 really a head...

Jan 28, 2021 at 6:10 PM Post #2,935 of 14,596
Well, I got my Peppermint Crunch Chocolate Bar today! Oh yeah, the DX300 with it...
Topping off the charge first, but I did notice the issue several people have had with their cases. Since the back of the 300 is curved and the button/volume side is angled, the case wasn't made well enough to completely handle the complex dimensions of the 300. My top button (just below the volume wheel is pushed forward (towards the screen) of the embossed button on the case. It makes the top button feel like it isn't working. You just have to feel for the button, which is a PITA. I'll be waiting for a new case.

The only other physical issue I noticed (because I happen to be OCD about imperfections), is the inside edge of the 4.4mm socket is nicked a little on one side. Not a deal-breaker! If the socket works, then I won't care, I just tend to notice these things...
One quick question; is the volume wheel a smooth turn, or are there supposed to be physical detents? Re-checking, I find mine has very subtle detents if I turn it slowly with my finger...Is this normal?

I hate screen protectors (and they hate me)! I may leave this screen naked (easy guys)... :wink:

But I really am looking forward to trying out my Chocolate Bars...err...DX300! Thanks Andrew, for the Great Service!

Cheers and All the Best!:beerchug:
-HK sends

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2021 at 6:25 PM Post #2,939 of 14,596
Testing DAC-mode on MacOS and IOS
Look at the name of the device ... *LOL*
Working though like a charm!
Until Amazon Music HD is fixed in the DX300 firmware, the DAC-mode can compensate it , streaming Amazon Music HD really sounds terrific on the DX300 even not yet burned in. Dunno if it's about my crappy local library, though CD-quality FLACs but in comparison it feels like the Amazon Music HD from my MAC or iPhone through DAC-mode sounds much better than playing the local files directly from the DX300.
But can be also my fantasy.
Everyone a good night, alarm will ring in 5,5h, though I could listen the whole night! :L3000:

Attachments

• Ohne Titel.jpg
    Ohne Titel.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 5AC0D747-0DDF-4EAB-8E9B-8A1EF0763F64.png
    5AC0D747-0DDF-4EAB-8E9B-8A1EF0763F64.png
    5.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 28, 2021 at 6:34 PM Post #2,940 of 14,596
I hate screen protectors (and they hate me)! I may leave this screen naked (easy guys)... :wink:

I hate all the stock screen protectors. Garbage, dirt and fingerprint magnets. I don't get why the companies use those useless films. I just throw them away and cut out matte films from iPad screen protectors which are generally of much better quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back