iBasso DX300 MAX Dual AK4499 Snapdragon 660 Octa-Core 6GB RAM 128GB ROM NEW Firmware: 2.02Available.
Aug 24, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #1,351 of 5,047
I am tempted by the TI knowing how good the MAX sounds, but I am also wondering how much better can it get. I mean, the voltage swing will not change, the batteries will not change, the sound is already exceptionally clean with a tasty mix of musicality and neutrality. I for sure do not want anything warmer. So, what do guys think? What can be improved here? Or can anything be improved, really, just with a few capacitor tweaks?

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #1,352 of 5,047
I am tempted by the TI knowing how good the MAX sounds, but I am also wondering how much better can it get. I mean, the voltage swing will not change, the batteries will not change, the sound is already exceptionally clean with a tasty mix of musicality and neutrality. I for sure do not want anything warmer. So, what do guys think? What can be improved here? Or can anything be improved, really, just with a few capacitor tweaks?
From a tuning point of view, I have done countless. The differences can be either significant or negligible, it will all depends on your personal point of views. There are also different ways to tune and tweak and each with pros/cons

So, can the Max be of any significant changes ? The answer is yes! I have changed stock 2Max from the graininess of trebles textures to be smoothers, with better sub bass and a little more meaty timbres. One can say that there are not much differences, but the fact is that there is no fatigue when listening to modified 2Max vs a stock Max is to me, a significant differences

Specifically if you asked what could have changed ? No one know, the Ti isn’t released yet, and even so, you need both versions side by side or at the least someone reliable who have heard both. But I can tell you for sure is that with a different tuning, there will definitely be differences. How significant is upon your personal judgement

Aug 24, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #1,353 of 5,047
From a tuning point of view, I have done countless. The differences can be either significant or negligible, it will all depends on your personal point of views. There are also different ways to tune and tweak and each with pros/cons

So, can the Max be of any significant changes ? The answer is yes! I have changed stock 2Max from the graininess of trebles textures to be smoothers, with better sub bass and a little more meaty timbres. One can say that there are not much differences, but the fact is that there is no fatigue when listening to modified 2Max vs a stock Max is to me, a significant differences

Specifically if you asked what could have changed ? No one know, the Ti isn’t released yet, and even so, you need both versions side by side or at the least someone reliable who have heard both. But I can tell you for sure is that with a different tuning, there will definitely be differences. How significant is upon your personal judgement
How can you change the tuning, can you give some examples? Just asking out of curiosity (not doubting you can).

Aug 24, 2021 at 4:34 PM Post #1,354 of 5,047
For my preferences, outside of a perhaps more forward midrange/tuning shift like @Whitigir suggested, I can’t really envision the technicalities getting any better. It’s already so impressive.

If it goes down the more analytical route as seen with other Ti models in past history, perhaps tonality can get a bit colder which will help with staging/layering, pinpoint imaging, black background and detail retrieval. Basically, an even further increased technical presentation at expense of musicality; always a dance between the two in this hobby.

Aug 24, 2021 at 4:40 PM Post #1,355 of 5,047
How can you change the tuning, can you give some examples? Just asking out of curiosity (not doubting you can).
How ? Daft punk quotes

Once you free your mind about a concept of
Harmony and of music being correct
You can do whatever you want
So nobody told me what to do
And there was no preconception of what to do

How Ibasso is doing that ? By using different capacitors and possibly some more like chassis materials…etc , can’t really put into enough words

Amp8 and Amp8EX is different, may be significant or may be not, depends on personal point of view

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #1,356 of 5,047
For my preferences, outside of a perhaps more forward midrange/tuning shift like @Whitigir suggested, I can’t really envision the technicalities getting any better. It’s already so impressive.

If it goes down the more analytical route as seen with other Ti models in past history, perhaps tonality can get a bit colder which will help with staging/layering, pinpoint imaging, black background and detail retrieval. Basically, an even further increased technical presentation at expense of musicality; always a dance between the two in this hobby.
I have compared Alumnium VS Titanium from DX200 themselves, and while Aluminum VS Titanium did have a significant differences. The Ti is more airy and with better clarity but that is the result of Aluminum being a very different materials to Titanium in all of it properties

The Stainless Steel vs Titanium will also be different but into which direction ? I don’t even know. But from all of my researches, both SS/Ti are more similar than being differences in the properties that would mattered most and would result in sound signature changes. The only significant changed would be the weight differences. The Ti would be at the least 30-50% lighter than Stainless Steel . At this point by logic speculations, I would say that if any differences to be observed from these 2 versions, it would possibly mainly be the results of the tuning itself more than the chassis as the materials.

One thing for sure is that Titanium will be lighter, and more exclusive, which I adore both, more over it is the celebration model, and I love Ibasso, so I am in to celebrate this 15th anniversary. I am so very determined for it

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2021 at 5:34 PM Post #1,357 of 5,047
How ? Daft punk quotes

Once you free your mind about a concept of
Harmony and of music being correct
You can do whatever you want
So nobody told me what to do
And there was no preconception of what to do

How Ibasso is doing that ? By using different capacitors and possibly some more like chassis materials…etc , can’t really put into enough words

Amp8 and Amp8EX is different, may be significant or may be not, depends on personal point of view
No offense but this quote came from Giorgio Moroder himself from the excellent album Random Access Memories from Daft Punk.

Aug 24, 2021 at 8:54 PM Post #1,360 of 5,047
4927F948-3519-4A4B-BEC4-466F6B187A27.jpeg

accidentally posted in the DX220Max thread, but checking in #207😂

Aug 25, 2021 at 12:33 AM Post #1,361 of 5,047
Here missing my 3MAX. Soon I will have it back! I usually don’t get impressed easily by new DAPs, but the 3MAX is quite impressive even at 60 hours. I wasn’t totally 100% impressed with the stock 2MaX due to a slight graininess in treble with my modded and recabled HD800. No issues whatsoever with the 3MAX. The 3MAX is more musical and liquid sounding while the 2MaX is more analytical to my ears. I love the fact that the background on the 3MaX is blacker and musical details just appear out of no where. This is pretty impressive from a something this size.

Aug 25, 2021 at 12:56 AM Post #1,362 of 5,047
I’ve started to appreciate the 3Max beyond just the left to right soundstaging, but the depth! of the instrument separation, front to back. The Beatles Essential playlist on Apple Music sounds fantastic with it. Prob the first time I’m actually enjoying their extremely lopsided “Stereo” placement. Loving the heft every time i pick it up!

Thanks to @twister6 for the recommendation, I’m now on 70% DAC volume, medium gain, Ultimate mode and getting a more balanced battery life between analog/digital (digital still losing out when streaming so i might try 60% next).

Aug 25, 2021 at 4:15 AM Post #1,363 of 5,047
4927F948-3519-4A4B-BEC4-466F6B187A27.jpeg
accidentally posted in the DX220Max thread, but checking in #207😂
Welcome to the owners club! Your unique unit number & details have now been inserted in to the listing. Wishing you many hours of happy listening. Enjoy! 🎧

Aug 25, 2021 at 4:15 AM Post #1,364 of 5,047
In might not go as deep as a desktop amp but this is one hell of a good, clean, punchy, fast bass for a portable with HEKse.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back