iBasso DX300 MAX Dual AK4499 Snapdragon 660 Octa-Core 6GB RAM 128GB ROM NEW Firmware: 2.02Available.
Aug 24, 2021 at 12:34 PM Post #1,336 of 5,047
The 3Max is the best sounding non r2r device I have heard. Burn in will not change the more “digital” presentation of the delta sigma dac chips. The r2r from the Ti sounds much more real to my ears. “Uncolored” if you will. But yeah, I’m not selling it because of sound quality. I thought I’d be able to adjust again to the size like how I was fine with it on the 2Max, but evidently I cannot.
I’m on the opposite spectrum. I like the weight and the battery life that comes along with it. That weight has prevented me from accidentally tugging it off the table a few times already! This is an all-day device, and I’m grateful for it because it means I do not have to bring powerbanks, cables, chargers or what not out with me on weekends~

Aug 24, 2021 at 12:38 PM Post #1,337 of 5,047
The N6ii R2R is oversampling, and oversampling actually means delta sigma modulations :wink:. Despite the N6R using Discrete Resistors ladder. Not all R2R is going to be NOS and not all DAC is going to be Oversampling though. For example, both AK4499EQ can take in external digital filters and interpolations done externally. That means even on AK4499EQ, the SOC and even if the FPGA, both can do the DSP externally if implemented and needed

I am afraid that what you are actually hearing from the N6ii is actually mainly that BurrBrown Chips and not the R2R ladder alone

Oh okay, thanks for the info. That is interesting. Whatever I am hearing I just enjoy it too much. Sounds incredibly pure to me.

Aug 24, 2021 at 12:38 PM Post #1,338 of 5,047
I’m on the opposite spectrum. I like the weight and the battery life that comes along with it. That weight has prevented me from accidentally tugging it off the table a few times already! This is an all-day device, and I’m grateful for it because it means I do not have to bring powerbanks, cables, chargers or what not out with me on weekends~
Dude!!! You are convincing me to get SS and not Ti now, because Ti will be lighter :D

Aug 24, 2021 at 12:42 PM Post #1,339 of 5,047
Oh okay, thanks for the info. That is interesting. Whatever I am hearing I just enjoy it too much. Sounds incredibly pure to me.
No worry, discrete resistors ladder has it own pros and cons. There gotta be compensations algorithms in place and despite Cayin not going to disclosing that as Andy dodged it a few times. This is what mattered most. It is probably the secret sauce from Cayin. I am amazed that they pulled this as the first attempts and scored so much. Beside, there are acoustic tuning for analog amplifications and so on. Most importantly is going to be the amplifications sections and the Low Pass Filters. Then there are synergies
What matters most to us the end users and enthusiasts is whether or not we are satisfied with the products

Aug 24, 2021 at 12:49 PM Post #1,340 of 5,047
Also, don’t forget that Titanium is very special in itself. The N6ii is using Ti for the chassis. There will also be 3MaxTi :wink:. There are more to a metal conductivity for sound performances. But all is null if one can’t tell the differences anyway

May be you want 3MaxTi @aaf evo ?

Another interesting fact is that the 3Max use a pretty hefty chunk of SS for the chassis, and so will the Ti, assuming of the same sizes. I would think that the differences in cost would be more than the 200/200Ti and or N6/N6Ti

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2021 at 12:50 PM Post #1,341 of 5,047
Also, don’t forget that Titanium is very special in itself. The N6ii is using Ti for the chassis. There will also be 3MaxTi :wink:. There are more to a metal conductivity for sound performances. But all is null if one can’t tell the differences anyway

May be you want 3MaxTi @aaf evo ?

Im going to pass. I really don’t find myself using the 3Max much just because of the size. The weight is bothersome too but the physical dimensions are too much for me. I think I could handle it much more last year because we were under lockdown and stuff. Now I’m doing way more portable use so it just doesn’t fit my usage anymore. I’m glad I gave it a try though.

Aug 24, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #1,343 of 5,047
Ladies and gentlemen, let me give you a little secret getting the most out of your gadgets without getting rid of it: It is called EQ... :)

I‘m a firm believer that if you have to EQ anything that you’re buying the wrong stuff to begin with, but that‘s just me. 🤭 Then again I will tip roll and occasionally cable roll to fine tune a sound.

Aug 24, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #1,345 of 5,047
I‘m a firm believer that if you have to EQ anything that you’re buying the wrong stuff to begin with, but that‘s just me. 🤭 Then again I will tip roll and occasionally cable roll to fine tune a sound.
Or is EQ for losers. :p

Aug 24, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #1,347 of 5,047
Just a suggestion, when you post about hearing brighter treble, can you please also mention which iems or headphones you are using, gain setting, ultimate on/off, volume setting (digital/analog), and relative to what other source (dap) you are comparing it to? Otherwise, just saying "treble is bright" is not very helpful.

Good point! I believe 3MAX walks a fine line in driving various IEMs and full size headphones. Depending on what you listen with, I think the perceived balance with vary. I would add to my previous treble comment (which is mainly with Traillii) and add:
  • OG Andro sounds excellent with 3MAX bettering my previous favorite pairing with N6ii+A01. DAC=70 and low gain. 3MAX compliments with added sub-bass and slightly withdrawn mid-bass, as well as bringing clarity to the whole range.
  • Rhapsodio Bomber actually sounds well balanced out of 3MAX, and oh the bass! It sounded veiled with P6Pro and I didn't enjoy it at all. It's for sale, by the way, if anyone is interested!
  • HD800 and Focal Utopia sounds good but treble comes through much softer than Traillii and from my desktop system. On high gain and DAC=100. With these headphones, no brightness at all. Very smooth sound, perhaps even lacking sometimes.
I'm just approaching 150 hours. My brain burn is progressing and I am now hearing a smooth AKM sound (with iBasso house tuning).

Aug 24, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #1,348 of 5,047
Good point! I believe 3MAX walks a fine line in driving various IEMs and full size headphones. Depending on what you listen with, I think the perceived balance with vary. I would add to my previous treble comment (which is mainly with Traillii) and add:
  • OG Andro sounds excellent with 3MAX bettering my previous favorite pairing with N6ii+A01. DAC=70 and low gain. 3MAX compliments with added sub-bass and slightly withdrawn mid-bass, as well as bringing clarity to the whole range.
  • Rhapsodio Bomber actually sounds well balanced out of 3MAX, and oh the bass! It sounded veiled with P6Pro and I didn't enjoy it at all. It's for sale, by the way, if anyone is interested!
  • HD800 and Focal Utopia sounds good but treble comes through much softer than Traillii and from my desktop system. On high gain and DAC=100. With these headphones, no brightness at all. Very smooth sound, perhaps even lacking sometimes.
I'm just approaching 150 hours. My brain burn is progressing and I am now hearing a smooth AKM sound (with iBasso house tuning).
Man!!! A smooth AKM sound with Ibasso house sound is like a heavenly combo !!!! Sound like a winner to me

Aug 24, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #1,349 of 5,047
Well, if you love coffee and you have to mix sugar or sweetener or creams…etc… you are only a sugar lover and not coffee lover :wink:

just kidding, we all love music !!!

I am craving for those real internal pictures !!!! Anyone want to be a taker for one?
I'll be making use of my Amp8 experience to use at some point, hehe :wink:

Aug 24, 2021 at 2:51 PM Post #1,350 of 5,047
Man!!! A smooth AKM sound with Ibasso house sound is like a heavenly combo !!!! Sound like a winner to me
What is nice here is that, the bass - mids transition region is not elevated, which gives that clean iBasso sound especially for the mids. At the same time, rest of the mids have slight more of the the AKM characteristic, which makes them more (compared to 2MAX) in the front. It is a very enjoyable tuning - at least for me. Works very well with Rögnir and HEKse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back