iBasso DX300 MAX Dual AK4499 Snapdragon 660 Octa-Core 6GB RAM 128GB ROM NEW Firmware: 2.02Available.
Aug 24, 2021 at 10:07 AM Post #1,321 of 5,049
Tell me more about these differences !! Don’t have the 3Max, so I need as much info as I can to quench my thirst :wink:
Ultimate feels as if a veil has been removed, that's the easiest way for me to describe the difference.

Aug 24, 2021 at 10:26 AM Post #1,322 of 5,049
Only 50 odd hours burn in, but I feel 70/100 is too low - I'm comfortable at around 80, but would love to hit 70 and give myself more volume headroom. Ultimate however is a big difference in sound, it probably should remain on.

Sound wise, I'm leaning to @tawmizzzz that the lower treble is a bit hot - I'm hoping that does smooth out because otherwise I find the sound utterly brilliant and engaging.
Haha, finally I am not crazy after all! Agree with @snapandslide about Ultimate mode adding more clarity and energy.

I did some A/B with SP2000 last night and man MAX bass is superb. Ridiculous subbass rumble with strong, authentic impact. I think I prefer it over Ti even, mainly cause of the more subbass extension. Soundstage easily also goes to MAX. Where SP2000 (so far) wins is the mids, presenting them in a smoother, more forward and organic manner. On the MAX, the mids are a bit dry and pushed back which contrasts a bit heavier against the more forward treble. Treble is excellent on both, I do hear SP2000 a bit smoother meanwhile MAX has extra bite.

If I could make the perfect DAP, it would be:

MAX's staging + MAX's bass + SP2000's mids + hybrid of SP2000 + MAX treble + R2R effortless portrayal + LP6's black background.

I let MAX run all day yesterday and so far minimal burn-in changes, but will continue and see if anything changes.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2021 at 11:24 AM Post #1,323 of 5,049
Sixteen Men and especially "Then" are quite good recordings, which I use for testing if I like a setup. It is so sad that the guy died nearly penniless. Then there is Aydin Esen, the Holdsworth on keys. He is kind of an introvert, plays mostly just live, teaches and otherwise non - traceable. I know from an interview that he doesn't want the "music industry" breathing on his neck, so stays mostly out of sight.

Yeah this guy is a phenomenal talent! I love how these guys hit these beautiful progressions and melodies and continue to develop them. Sometimes a little bit too many notes for my little brain. Hiromi does that to me too. I usually need Keith Jarrett's playing to clear my head, lol. :wink: Good stuff!

On topic, happy to report that Youtube works great. No sync issue.

It's too bad we lost the optcal on 3MAX. Now I need a new cable to connect to my desktop system...

Aug 24, 2021 at 11:37 AM Post #1,324 of 5,049
If anyone missed out on a 3Max and wants mine shoot me a PM, figured I’d post here first before it hits classifieds. As amazing as the sound is I can’t get used to the form factor anymore. I definitely prefer the r2r sound too.

thanks
Yeah just got rid of mine too! i can't get past the almost 2lb. Weight either and r2r is definitely my prefer signature from now on. GLWS.

Aug 24, 2021 at 11:39 AM Post #1,325 of 5,049
The DX300MAX is a transportable not a portable so I don't see an issue with the weight and from my experience, unless you have 200 hours or more on a device, you haven't totally heard it.

Aug 24, 2021 at 11:44 AM Post #1,326 of 5,049
If I could make the perfect DAP, it would be:

MAX's staging + MAX's bass + SP2000's mids + hybrid of SP2000 + MAX treble + R2R effortless portrayal + LP6's black background.
It exists… it’s called Sony DMP-Z1 😜

Aug 24, 2021 at 11:48 AM Post #1,327 of 5,049
It exists… it’s called Sony DMP-Z1 😜
1629820092861.png

Aug 24, 2021 at 11:49 AM Post #1,328 of 5,049
Last edited:
Aug 24, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #1,329 of 5,049
Wow Z1 is pretty ancient and still performing at this level? Amazing!
Haha, I was being a little sarcastic, but in all seriousness DMP-Z1 still stands as the best sound quality to my ears out of the DAPs that I’ve heard. Although I don’t know if its even considered a DAP given how huge it is.

Aug 24, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #1,330 of 5,049
Just a suggestion, when you post about hearing brighter treble, can you please also mention which iems or headphones you are using, gain setting, ultimate on/off, volume setting (digital/analog), and relative to what other source (dap) you are comparing it to? Otherwise, just saying "treble is bright" is not very helpful.

Aug 24, 2021 at 12:18 PM Post #1,332 of 5,049
Just a suggestion, when you post about hearing brighter treble, can you please also mention which iems or headphones you are using, gain setting, ultimate on/off, volume setting (digital/analog), and relative to what other source (dap) you are comparing it to? Otherwise, just saying "treble is bright" is not very helpful.
IEM: Traillii w/ stock cable
Gain setting: Low
Ultimate: On
Volume Setting: 85/100. Knob turned about 1/4
Filter: D2 (but haven't really noticed any differences/tried hard on these)
Relative to: SP2000 (using PWA 1960 adapter around 55 volume)

*Going higher on the DAC volume makes the sound more intense IMO, and ultimate mode off seems to tame it down.

And just to clarify so people don't get scared off: I am not claiming that it is overtly bright (cause it is smoother and more musical IMO than 2MAX from memory)- I was just stating compared to initial impressions that kept describing it closer to warm, it is brighter than I was expecting. There is more lower treble crunch than on SP2000 to my ears. This DAP performs on a summit-fi level, easily. Most people should be fine with it lol.

Aug 24, 2021 at 12:19 PM Post #1,333 of 5,049
Traillii, low gain, ultimate ON, 85 digital, d3 sound setting. Comparing to W2/1A where I don't have the same pain from the lower treble area (well becomes only a cursory issue on some tracks).

Aug 24, 2021 at 12:24 PM Post #1,334 of 5,049
The DX300MAX is a transportable not a portable so I don't see an issue with the weight and from my experience, unless you have 200 hours or more on a device, you haven't totally heard it.

The 3Max is the best sounding non r2r device I have heard. Burn in will not change the more “digital” presentation of the delta sigma dac chips. The r2r from the Ti sounds much more real to my ears. “Uncolored” if you will. But yeah, I’m not selling it because of sound quality. I thought I’d be able to adjust again to the size like how I was fine with it on the 2Max, but evidently I cannot.

Aug 24, 2021 at 12:34 PM Post #1,335 of 5,049
The 3Max is the best sounding non r2r device I have heard. Burn in will not change the more “digital” presentation of the delta sigma dac chips. The r2r from the Ti sounds much more real to my ears. “Uncolored” if you will. But yeah, I’m not selling it because of sound quality. I thought I’d be able to adjust again to the size like how I was fine with it on the 2Max, but evidently I cannot.
The N6ii R2R is oversampling, and oversampling actually means delta sigma modulations :wink:. Despite the N6R using Discrete Resistors ladder. Not all R2R is going to be NOS and not all DAC is going to be Oversampling though. For example, both AK4499EQ can take in external digital filters and interpolations done externally. That means even on AK4499EQ, the SOC and even if the FPGA, both can do the DSP externally if implemented and needed

I am afraid that what you are actually hearing from the N6ii is actually mainly that BurrBrown Chips and not the R2R ladder alone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back