iBasso DX300 MAX Dual AK4499 Snapdragon 660 Octa-Core 6GB RAM 128GB ROM NEW Firmware: 2.02Available.
Aug 17, 2021 at 8:11 PM Post #916 of 5,049
As a quick update after 100hrs of burn in. The gap between 2MAX and 3MAX sound performance is closing in. They don't sound the same, obviously different DACs with their own sound characteristics, but it's not night and day difference. Relative to the Bird, I do hear 3MAX with more body in mids vs 2MAX being a little brighter and a bit thinner, and this gives 3MAX more analog texture.

I had quite a few people pinging me with a question if 3MAX is a big upgrade over 2MAX. Of course, everything will be relative to pair up synergy, but when it comes to audio performance, 2MAX was already a top dog in both headphone output and Line Out. 3MAX is not going to be head'n'shoulders above it in sound performance, but I do prefer 3MAX with many IEMs I tried because of its more organic tonality in mids.

Now, where 3MAX is head'n'shoulders and the rest of the torso above 2MAX is in the digital platform inherited from the original DX300, everything from the top SoC to optimized Android 9, its super fast speed (not just my perception, but 3D Benchmark scores from tests I ran), Wifi performance (DL/UP speed), and ergonomics of the design with hardware transport control buttons - all this makes 3MAX to be superior to 2MAX.

So, if you loved 2MAX but wanted to take its performance to the next level when it comes to streaming/apps, user experience, or if you were frustrated with a lack of hw playback buttons, 3MAX is no brainer. 3MAX Ti is exclusive limited edition, taking it to another level. But if you currently have 2MAX and absolutely happy with its performance, both audio and OS, and on the fence about the upgrade or frustrated because it sold out, no need to loose your sleep. Just being honest with you.

For me personally, it will be hard to go back to 2MAX after spending time with 3MAX, similar to how I look at DX220 after using DX300.

20210817_121356_resized.jpg
Any hints as to what will differentiate the Ti version?

Aug 17, 2021 at 8:13 PM Post #917 of 5,049
Whew, you dodged a bullet! It is said that after 4 hours, you should see a doctor.

:smile: :smile: :smile:

Made it! See, totally normal

chapelle-dave.gif

Aug 17, 2021 at 8:26 PM Post #918 of 5,049
Any hints as to what will differentiate the Ti version?
Titanium will have the chassis being Titanium and a slight different tuning that best suited to the Titanium as the Chassis materials

Of course Both SS and Titanium are tuned to be best suited to each of the chassis materials by Ibasso. So that means you can find different capacitors in Titanium VS SS. Sounds is subjective, some may prefer Ti and some may prefer SS.

I would assume that Titanium as chassis materials will be costly, just as DX200Ti was, so the extra cost is likely coming from the Chassis itself and nothing is related to the different tuning. Different doesn’t mean better, also doesn’t mean worse. It just literally means “different”. So, to different people, their most preferred sound signature will always be deemed as an upgrade and or superior VS others . That just literally means to some people the TI may be an upgrade and superior to SS and vice versa

fact is that Titanium is much more exclusive as it is only 100 units VS 400. So the Titanium is superior to SS in exclusivity

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2021 at 9:00 PM Post #919 of 5,049
20D1A5C1-97EB-41F2-86A3-C3DF9AD9AAEC.jpeg

3Max is burning in and I'm hearing some slight changes, mostly in the midrange and treble. Out of the box, the treble sounded a bit more emphasised with a lighter note-weight, making the presentation sound somewhat U-shaped because sub-bass also sounded elevated. However it's now sounding more balanced, with mids coming forward in the mix and in-line with the treble. However, sub bass still sounds slightly more elevated than mids and treble.

Staging/imaging is fantastic on 3Max, especially stage depth and height. To me, 3Max has a rather forward presentation, so the centre image gets pushed very deep and creates an excellent sense of holography. With the Oriolus Traillii, this is one of the most holographic IEM setups I've heard. A must-hear if you own a Traillii imo.

For IEM pair ups, so far I have tested Traillii, EE Odin, Elysian Annihilator, 64 Audio Fourte Noir, U12t, VE Elysium & Sennheiser IE900. All of them pair up exceptionally well, except for Elysium and U12t, at least for my preferences. I found that both Ely & U12t's treble and upper mids sound a little too heavy and thick. I personally prefer both those IEM's with Cayin N6ii R01. The three standouts for me with 3Max are Annhiliator, Odin & Traillii so far.

Compared to other DAPs I've got, I still think 3Max sounds most similar to SP2000 but with a more expansive stage, better layering and an improved balance between bass mids and treble. SP2K has a more mid-forward presentation with treble and bass sitting further back in the mix. Shanling M8 sounds warmer, bassier and not as technically proficient. N6ii R01 sounds airier, with a lighter note-weight and a smaller stage.

Compared to Sony DMP-Z1, I hear Max being more lively, energetic and more forward overall in its presentation. Conversly DMP sounds more laidback, organic and natural, but comes off somewhat less exciting. DMP's stage sounds a bit wider, but I think 3Max sounds deeper. Height is quite similar. They both have completely black background noise, except for a bit of EFI on 3Max which hopefully will be resolved soon via FW update.

Aug 17, 2021 at 9:34 PM Post #920 of 5,049
20D1A5C1-97EB-41F2-86A3-C3DF9AD9AAEC.jpeg

3Max is burning in and I'm hearing some slight changes, mostly in the midrange and treble. Out of the box, the treble sounded a bit more emphasised with a lighter note-weight, making the presentation sound somewhat U-shaped because sub-bass also sounded elevated. However it's now sounding more balanced, with mids coming forward in the mix and in-line with the treble. However, sub bass still sounds slightly more elevated than mids and treble.

Staging/imaging is fantastic on 3Max, especially stage depth and height. To me, 3Max has a rather forward presentation, so the centre image gets pushed very deep and creates an excellent sense of holography. With the Oriolus Traillii, this is one of the most holographic IEM setups I've heard. A must-hear if you own a Traillii imo.

For IEM pair ups, so far I have tested Traillii, EE Odin, Elysian Annihilator, 64 Audio Fourte Noir, U12t, VE Elysium & Sennheiser IE900. All of them pair up exceptionally well, except for Elysium and U12t, at least for my preferences. I found that both Ely & U12t's treble and upper mids sound a little too heavy and thick. I personally prefer both those IEM's with Cayin N6ii R01. The three standouts for me with 3Max are Annhiliator, Odin & Traillii so far.

Compared to other DAPs I've got, I still think 3Max sounds most similar to SP2000 but with a more expansive stage, better layering and an improved balance between bass mids and treble. SP2K has a more mid-forward presentation with treble and bass sitting further back in the mix. Shanling M8 sounds warmer, bassier and not as technically proficient. N6ii R01 sounds airier, with a lighter note-weight and a smaller stage.

Compared to Sony DMP-Z1, I hear Max being more lively, energetic and more forward overall in its presentation. Conversly DMP sounds more laidback, organic and natural, but comes off somewhat less exciting. DMP's stage sounds a bit wider, but I think 3Max sounds deeper. Height is quite similar. They both have completely black background noise, except for a bit of EFI on 3Max which hopefully will be resolved soon via FW update.

Give it about 4 days of burn in. I don't track by-hour changes, don't think that is even possible, but it is fun to compare your listening notes out of the box and 100hrs later because you can definitely hear it with 3MAX. And yeah, pair up with Traillii is really that good.

Btw, heard back from Paul, tap-to-wake is not supported with 3MAX.

Another very interesting observation, relative to pair up with Traillii, but I'm sure also applicable to other IEMs. The bass response changes as you adjust digital volume. Drop it to about 70/100, and at normal listening volume (analog pot adjusted to the level where your ears don't bleed) you will hear less sub-bass and overall bass being slightly more relaxed. Now, set digital volume to 100/100 and adjust down analog pot to normal listening level, and I hear more sub-bass and tighter and more articulate bass performance with the Bird.

And yet another observation. Go into Audio Settings and toggle Ultimate Mode, the one which enables all 8 DAC channels of both AK4499. With that enabled the sound is tighter and the background is blacker. Quite noticeable to my ears. Btw, I also suggested to Paul they should add shortcut to access Audio Setting menu from Notification pull-down menu.

Aug 17, 2021 at 9:37 PM Post #921 of 5,049
Give it about 4 days of burn in. I don't track by-hour changes, don't think that is even possible, but it is fun to compare your listening notes out of the box and 100hrs later because you can definitely hear it with 3MAX. And yeah, pair up with Traillii is really that good.

Btw, heard back from Paul, tap-to-wake is not supported with 3MAX.

Another very interesting observation, relative to pair up with Traillii, but I'm sure also applicable to other IEMs. The bass response changes as you adjust digital volume. Drop it to about 70/100, and at normal listening volume (analog pot adjusted to the level where your ears don't bleed) you will hear less sub-bass and overall bass being slightly more relaxed. Now, set digital volume to 100/100 and adjust down analog pot to normal listening level, and I hear more sub-bass and tighter and more articulate bass performance with the Bird.

And yet another observation. Go into Audio Settings and toggle Ultimate Mode, the one which enables all 8 DAC channels of both AK4499. With that enabled the sound is tighter and the background is blacker. Quite noticeable to my ears. Btw, I also suggested to Paul they should add shortcut to access Audio Setting menu from Notification pull-down menu.
Yup, i'll continue to track changes as I go :) just sharing what I've observed so far.

Yeah I've only used Ultimate mode. not interested in any lesser mode :D haha

Aug 17, 2021 at 9:59 PM Post #922 of 5,049
Yup, i'll continue to track changes as I go :) just sharing what I've observed so far.

Yeah I've only used Ultimate mode. not interested in any lesser mode :D haha

For sure, ultimate is the way to go. It supposed to drain a little more battery, but we are talking about maximizing the performance.

Aug 17, 2021 at 10:03 PM Post #923 of 5,049

Damian, have you rated the Annihilator yet? I need to know where you rank it.

I am thinking the trio of Traillii, Odin and Annihilator or X will be sublime.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2021 at 10:35 PM Post #925 of 5,049
Titanium will have the chassis being Titanium and a slight different tuning that best suited to the Titanium as the Chassis materials

Of course Both SS and Titanium are tuned to be best suited to each of the chassis materials by Ibasso. So that means you can find different capacitors in Titanium VS SS. Sounds is subjective, some may prefer Ti and some may prefer SS.

I would assume that Titanium as chassis materials will be costly, just as DX200Ti was, so the extra cost is likely coming from the Chassis itself and nothing is related to the different tuning. Different doesn’t mean better, also doesn’t mean worse. It just literally means “different”. So, to different people, their most preferred sound signature will always be deemed as an upgrade and or superior VS others . That just literally means to some people the TI may be an upgrade and superior to SS and vice versa

fact is that Titanium is much more exclusive as it is only 100 units VS 400. So the Titanium is superior to SS in exclusivit

fact is that Titanium is much more exclusive as it is only 100 units VS 400. So the Titanium is superior to SS in exclusivity
My experience with the LP6TI was that besides the chassis the internals were different from the Gold and Platinum versions. The LP6TI was limited to 199 so there's a premium that comes with being limited as well.

Agree that the TI signature may or may ot may not be to my taste or "better", but still somewhat annoying.

Aug 17, 2021 at 10:41 PM Post #926 of 5,049
My experience with the LP6TI was that besides the chassis the internals were different from the Gold and Platinum versions. The LP6TI was limited to 199 so there's a premium that comes with being limited as well.

Agree that the TI signature may or may ot may not be to my taste or "better", but still somewhat annoying.
Just get Titanium to squash that annoying bug :)

Aug 17, 2021 at 10:48 PM Post #927 of 5,049
Damian, have you rated the Annihilator yet? I need to know where you rank it.

I am thinking the trio of Traillii, Odin and Annihilator or X will be sublime.
I haven't yet. Honestly, I don't know how I feel about Annhilator at this point. It's undoubtedly an excellent IEM and up there with the best IEM's I've heard. However, I find it a little boring. It does everything quite well, but there's nothing that it does better than anything else I guess. The treble is its standout feature but I still prefer Traillii's treble. To me its treble sounds less cohesive with the rest of the response compared to the bird. Bass is pretty average too. It's quite dry.

Aug 17, 2021 at 11:04 PM Post #929 of 5,049
I checked that the 3Max was fully charged in the morning, unplugged, SHUTDOWN, went to the office.
This is what I see when I switched it back on..

7A7FA979-AE2F-4B47-8AFF-3E43A4D5A400.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back