iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Aug 17, 2021 at 2:08 AM Post #5,971 of 6,983
WOW! Maybe you should check your equipment. That sounds very slow. 2.4ghz is capable of 150mb/s.
Here's a connected device...
1629180365418.png

Aug 17, 2021 at 2:42 AM Post #5,973 of 6,983
Here's a connected device...
1629180365418.png

I guess I don't understand your original statement then. I was understanding it to mean that you were only able to get 3.1mb/s over 2.4GHz, but 6.5mb/s over 5GHz?! Both speeds are very slow. That speed above (I'm assuming that is the WiFi speed, not the internet speed) is about 67MB/s. If it is your WiFi speed (not an internet connection speed) that is still slower than what 5GHz can do. It is capable of 1Gb/s.

I don't have an app to measure WiFi speed to my router, but I can max my (total) download speed at 12MB/s on 2.4GHz (which maxs out my 100mb/s connection). No need for me to test 5GHz as I can max out my internet connection just using 2.4GHz (unless I want to do any networking locally, then I just use cabled).

Aug 17, 2021 at 2:49 AM Post #5,974 of 6,983
Aug 17, 2021 at 3:09 AM Post #5,975 of 6,983
I guess I don't understand your original statement then. I was understanding it to mean that you were only able to get 3.1mb/s over 2.4GHz, but 6.5mb/s over 5GHz?! Both speeds are very slow. That speed above (I'm assuming that is the WiFi speed, not the internet speed) is about 67MB/s. If it is your WiFi speed (not an internet connection speed) that is still slower than what 5GHz can do. It is capable of 1Gb/s.

I don't have an app to measure WiFi speed to my router, but I can max my (total) download speed at 12MB/s on 2.4GHz (which maxs out my 100mb/s connection). No need for me to test 5GHz as I can max out my internet connection just using 2.4GHz (unless I want to do any networking locally, then I just use cabled).

Here's the wireless connection from the 229 from the 5ghz range
a few feet away (less than 12') from the router...
IMG_20210817_110453.jpg

Aug 17, 2021 at 3:35 AM Post #5,976 of 6,983
Here's the wireless connection coming from the laptop...
1629182907484.png

Here's the wireless connection from the 229 from the 5ghz range
a few feet away (less than 12') from the router...
IMG_20210817_110453.jpg
Ok, now I see.... So your internet connection speed is maxed at 500(ish) wired, and your only able to get what is in those pictures while wireless?! There is something seriously wrong with your router or your computer (maybe hard drive is very slow, or your NIC is old or bad, etc...) bro. I would say that it was your router though, because you got slow speeds on both devices that you used.

Because I can max out my connection using wireless. My connection is supposed to be capped at 100Mb/s, but I can get something like 127Mb/s over wireless. I can get even more if I take the computer out of the equation. Directly from my router I am able to get 134Mb/s.

MediacomSpeedTest.PNG
MediacomSpeedTestWired.PNG

Aug 17, 2021 at 4:29 AM Post #5,977 of 6,983
Ok, now I see.... So your internet connection speed is maxed at 500(ish) wired, and your only able to get what is in those pictures while wireless?! There is something seriously wrong with your router or your computer (maybe hard drive is very slow, or your NIC is old or bad, etc...) bro. I would say that it was your router though, because you got slow speeds on both devices that you used.

Because I can max out my connection using wireless. My connection is supposed to be capped at 100Mb/s, but I can get something like 127Mb/s over wireless. I can get even more if I take the computer out of the equation. Directly from my router I am able to get 134Mb/s.

MediacomSpeedTest.PNGMediacomSpeedTestWired.PNG

... Or the actual service itself, i.e. not really 500 mbps. It's like the speaker power output @ 200 watts but actually giving off only 14.14 watts.
Well for now, I am content. When I visit my IS Provider, I'll have to ask this issue...

Aug 17, 2021 at 6:53 AM Post #5,979 of 6,983
... Or the actual service itself, i.e. not really 500 mbps. It's like the speaker power output @ 200 watts but actually giving off only 14.14 watts.
Well for now, I am content. When I visit my IS Provider, I'll have to ask this issue...
If you are able to test at 500Mb/s while wired, and providing that you are using the newest tech in routers, and that it is good, you should be able to at least get closer than you are. But, you SHOULD be able to max it out, if you are on 5GHz. That doesn't seem like your ISP to me. But, I don't know all the details either. Hope you get it figured out?!

Anyhow, sorry to have hijacked the thread a bit. Point I was making is that I don't believe that the DX160 can write fast enough to the flash memory to have to min/max your speeds with internet or networking. I only use 5GHz for the connection stability. I can get as much speed as the device will let me just using 2.4GHz, but because the antena(i?) are not good enough for a stable connection with it I don't use it.

Aug 17, 2021 at 7:15 AM Post #5,980 of 6,983
Here's my review of the DX160, with comparisons to Hiby R5s and Sony NW-A105 Walkman.

Curious if anyone has hypotheses about why battery life was so poor for me. I get ~6 hours of music listening to IEMs on 3.5mm. If I don't use the device at all, the battery will drain dead in 24 hours.

Normally 9+ hours

Aug 17, 2021 at 1:23 PM Post #5,982 of 6,983
Yes, I typically leave my Android DAPs connected to WiFi so that they can auto-sync music libraries when I connect to power. But otherwise, was not using the WiFi for most of the testing.
Having WiFi on drains the battery. So if not in use, for battery play time, turning it off is best.

Aug 18, 2021 at 6:39 AM Post #5,983 of 6,983
Would someone bei able to tell me if the following Chain is appropriate:

iPad Pro Type C -> DX160 Line-Out -> RCA Topping A30pro -> Headphones

Thanks in advance!

Edit: Is it possible to run DX160 in DAC Mode (Android Mode with Lurker FW) and Line-Out?

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2021 at 11:08 AM Post #5,984 of 6,983
Would someone bei able to tell me if the following Chain is appropriate:

iPad Pro Type C -> DX160 Line-Out -> RCA Topping A30pro -> Headphones

Thanks in advance!

Edit: Is it possible to run DX160 in DAC Mode (Android Mode with Lurker FW) and Line-Out?
That chain is appropriate. Though, if you are coming out of the DX160 via 4.4mm balanced, and you use headphones that are SE, I would check with the manufacturer if the Topping is ok to do this or not (I'm assuming that since you wrote RCA that you are coming from 3.5 SE from the DX160). Otherwise you could be shorting grounds. If you are coming LO of the DX160 via 3.5mm SE, you will be fine either way.

Yes it is indeed possible to run the DX160 in DAC mode out to the LO (either 3.5 SE or 4.4mm balanced). The Lurker add-on is not needed to do this (though it doesn't have any adverse effect either), because the DX160 was set up to do this natively. Though I can't speak to the ability to connect to the iPad. I could be wrong about this, but it seems as though a driver needs to be installed to talk to IOS??? I could be totally wrong about that though. Give it a try and see (won't hurt it, just won't talk if a driver is needed). I know it works without a driver needed for PC, and android devices.

Aug 18, 2021 at 1:12 PM Post #5,985 of 6,983
Thank you very much for your reply.

I wanted to Connect the dx160 via SE 3.5mm with Line Out active. I did not know, that I could use the 4.4mm as Line-Out as well. I could not find that in the manual, very good to know.

I already successfully connected the iPad with the dx160, which btw works flawlessly without any Driver. I Just was not sure if I could use the DX in DAC mode with line out.

The topping is supposed to come tomorrow, so I'll report back tomorrow.

Edit: just to be sure, I can simply start in android mode, toggle Line-Out in settings and then start DAC mode in mango player, right @samandhi ?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back