iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Aug 19, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #5,986 of 6,983
Thank you very much for your reply.

I wanted to Connect the dx160 via SE 3.5mm with Line Out active. I did not know, that I could use the 4.4mm as Line-Out as well. I could not find that in the manual, very good to know.

I already successfully connected the iPad with the dx160, which btw works flawlessly without any Driver. I Just was not sure if I could use the DX in DAC mode with line out.

The topping is supposed to come tomorrow, so I'll report back tomorrow.

Edit: just to be sure, I can simply start in android mode, toggle Line-Out in settings and then start DAC mode in mango player, right @samandhi ?
Yep. With the DX160 you can use either jack as LO, just that one is balanced (4.4mm) and the other is not (3.5SE).

Ah that is good to know that it works well for you.

Did you get the Topping today? What do you think? I'm interested to hear your thoughts on it (in your chain especially)?!

Yep. You don't have to do that in any certain order other than making sure you put it into DAC mode before making the connection to the iPad, and don't press play on the music until you put it into LO mode.... You should be all set!

Edit: Also you will notice that you can control the volume in LO mode (from the DX160), where most other devices set it to 100% automatically. Don't fret this! It was by design by iBasso. I usually set mine to around 85% to be safe, but I have had it at 100% with no noticeable distortion, and then use the Topping for volume control.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2021 at 5:47 AM Post #5,987 of 6,983
Yep. With the DX160 you can use either jack as LO, just that one is balanced (4.4mm) and the other is not (3.5SE).

Did you get the Topping today? What do you think? I'm interested to hear your thoughts on it (in your chain especially)?!

Yep. You don't have to do that in any certain order other than making sure you put it into DAC mode before making the connection to the iPad, and don't press play on the music until you put it into LO mode.... You should be all set!

Edit: Also you will notice that you can control the volume in LO mode (from the DX160), where most other devices set it to 100% automatically. Don't fret this! It was by design by iBasso. I usually set mine to around 85% to be safe, but I have had it at 100% with no noticeable distortion, and then use the Topping for volume control.
So it is a better idea to set the volume at 85% instead of 100 % ?

Aug 20, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #5,988 of 6,983
The important thing is how much input level the output device can withstand at the input without being damaged. I use the DX160 via SPDIF on my Yamaha receiver. And yes, a maximum level of 100% is passed on to the device via SPDIF. Here (Wikipedia) times to read the level values. In the consumer area, the value 1.414V is interesting. Tensions about it are then intended more for professional systems.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2021 at 8:58 PM Post #5,989 of 6,983
So it is a better idea to set the volume at 85% instead of 100 % ?

The important thing is how much input level the output device can withstand at the input without being damaged. I use the DX160 via SPDIF on my Yamaha receiver. And yes, a maximum level of 100% is passed on to the device via SPDIF. Here (Wikipedia) times to read the level values. In the consumer area, the value 1.414V is interesting. Tensions about it are then intended more for professional systems.
I don't think it is any different than any other LO in that you aren't amping it in that mode, so it should be safe to run it at 100%. I just don't because it feels weird that you can adjust the volume level in that mode. SPDIF mode, you can't adjust the volume output, so that becomes irrelevant in this case.

Good article.

Aug 21, 2021 at 6:34 PM Post #5,992 of 6,983
Curious to know who uses which headphones with the DX160? The opinions of those who listen to extreme metal are especially interesting.

Headphones: Hifiman HE400S, Hifiman Deva, Sennheiser HD700, Marshall Monitors, Sennheiser Momentum OG, Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 wireless (in wired mode), B&W P5

IEMs: Tinhifi P1 Planar, DUNU DK2001, Audiosense T800, Xioami Piston II, iBasso IT07

Earbuds: Smabat M2S Pro, Smabat ST10S Gold (150 Ohm), DUNU Alpha 1, Rose Maria II, Moondrop Chaconne.

Of that list, if I had to just pick one that does metal best from each category, I would say:
Headphones: Hifiman Deva
IEMs: iBasso IT07
Earbuds: Moondrop Chaconne

Mainly I picked those because of the clarity they have without getting shouty or sibilant. The Deva have some EXCELLENT planar bass. The IT07 were simply tuned just for me (I like to think). The Chaconne are some of the clearest sound I have heard but remain smooth (They do need a slight EQ bass boost with this type of music though). In the IEMs the P1 are VERY close for metal (again another planar sound = smooth, punchy, not shouty, but clear as a bell).

Yes, these are all actually in my rotation. :)

Edit: Oh, and the P1 actually have the best separation of all the ones mentioned, which makes them great all around too.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2021 at 6:55 PM Post #5,994 of 6,983
Headphones: Hifiman HE400S, Hifiman Deva, Sennheiser HD700, Marshall Monitors, Sennheiser Momentum OG, Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 wireless (in wired mode), B&W P5

IEMs: Tinhifi P1 Planar, DUNU DK2001, Audiosense T800, Xioami Piston II, iBasso IT07

Earbuds: Smabat M2S Pro, Smabat ST10S Gold (150 Ohm), DUNU Alpha 1, Rose Maria II, Moondrop Chaconne.

Of that list, if I had to just pick one that does metal best from each category, I would say:
Headphones: Hifiman Deva
IEMs: iBasso IT07
Earbuds: Moondrop Chaconne

Mainly I picked those because of the clarity they have without getting shouty or sibilant. The Deva have some EXCELLENT planar bass. The IT07 were simply tuned just for me (I like to think). The Chaconne are some of the clearest sound I have heard but remain smooth (They do need a slight EQ bass boost with this type of music though). In the IEMs the P1 are VERY close for metal (again another planar sound = smooth, punchy, not shouty, but clear as a bell).

Yes, these are all actually in my rotation. :)

Edit: Oh, and the P1 actually have the best separation of all the ones mentioned, which makes them great all around too.
Oh, thank you for such a detailed answer. One of the options for me is DK-2001, how do they show themselves in these genres? And what do you think about this IEM model.

iBasso IT07 ... This is interesting, but there are two questions: 1. Is this too high a level for DX160? 2. I am confused by the MMCX connectors, on my IT00 the connector broke after half a year of careful use. I am frankly afraid to buy IT07 only because it has exactly the same connection system as in IT00.

Aug 21, 2021 at 7:15 PM Post #5,995 of 6,983
Oh, thank you for such a detailed answer. One of the options for me is DK-2001, how do they show themselves in these genres? And what do you think about this IEM model.

iBasso IT07 ... This is interesting, but there are two questions: 1. Is this too high a level for DX160? 2. I am confused by the MMCX connectors, on my IT00 the connector broke after half a year of careful use. I am frankly afraid to buy IT07 only because it has exactly the same connection system as in IT00.
The DK2001 is absolutely fantastic (for ALL genres IMO). Problem is they are discontinued. DUNU says they are supposedly updating those and the DK3001 Pro, but I haven't heard word about it for a long time now. There are a couple left in stock at THIS site if you are interested. They are one of those that (to my ears) punch in at higher than their price tag.

All of the IEMs there on my list are MMCX connection, and I have had 0 problems with any of them. IT07 is one of those sleeper hits. iBasso released the DX160, then before the hype totally died down, they release the IT07, but before they could take off, they came out with the DX300. In all honesty, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend either the DK2001 OR the IT07, though the IT07 is better in every way (to my ears), but I would expect that from the price difference.

I wouldn't worry about the MMCX connector, as it is one of the more rugged type of connections there is out there. I find that once I am satisfied with the cable I have, I just don't disconnect it ever, and they should never break. The problem comes when you take them apart, and put them back together a ton of times.

Oh, and to answer your question 1; nope, not at all. The DX160 is also one of those devices that punch in at higher than its price would indicate. Based on sound quality alone, it is VERY good... The IT07 can sound really good even from a cell phone (though the DX160 really makes them shine better).

Aug 21, 2021 at 7:33 PM Post #5,996 of 6,983
The DK2001 is absolutely fantastic (for ALL genres IMO). Problem is they are discontinued. DUNU says they are supposedly updating those and the DK3001 Pro, but I haven't heard word about it for a long time now. There are a couple left in stock at THIS site if you are interested. They are one of those that (to my ears) punch in at higher than their price tag.

All of the IEMs there on my list are MMCX connection, and I have had 0 problems with any of them. IT07 is one of those sleeper hits. iBasso released the DX160, then before the hype totally died down, they release the IT07, but before they could take off, they came out with the DX300. In all honesty, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend either the DK2001 OR the IT07, though the IT07 is better in every way (to my ears), but I would expect that from the price difference.

I wouldn't worry about the MMCX connector, as it is one of the more rugged type of connections there is out there. I find that once I am satisfied with the cable I have, I just don't disconnect it ever, and they should never break. The problem comes when you take them apart, and put them back together a ton of times.

Oh, and to answer your question 1; nope, not at all. The DX160 is also one of those devices that punch in at higher than its price would indicate. Based on sound quality alone, it is VERY good... The IT07 can sound really good even from a cell phone (though the DX160 really makes them shine better).
In short, a very difficult and painful choice awaits me between DK2001 and IT07. : D I considered DK2001 even before your advice, and now I am seriously thinking about IT07. Anyway, thanks for the help, i really appreciate it.

Aug 21, 2021 at 7:41 PM Post #5,997 of 6,983
In short, a very difficult and painful choice awaits me between DK2001 and IT07. : D I considered DK2001 even before your advice, and now I am seriously thinking about IT07. Anyway, thanks for the help, i really appreciate it.
Your welcome, but sorry about your wallet! :) Oh and welcome to Head-Fi! The slogan here should be is: We are enablers! Join at your own risk!

Aug 21, 2021 at 7:50 PM Post #5,998 of 6,983
Also, if you wait 1 day, 7 hours you can get the DK2001 on sale + $4.00 coupon... So in all you save about $20 and can get them for $280.

Edit: And it looks like THIS store has all three colors if that was a consideration...:)

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2021 at 2:06 PM Post #5,999 of 6,983

I received the Topping today and it is awesome! I‘m using it with a pair of SendyAudio Aiva (med gain), Dunu Zen (low gain) and Fiio FH3 (low gain) and I‘m really satisfied. It really drives the Aiva authoritatively, although I‘m not qualified enough to state whether there is a difference in sound(ing) between the DX160 and A30pro.

I did not try it with the iPad as source as of yet, but will do that probably tomorrow and report back.

Aug 26, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #6,000 of 6,983
Your welcome, but sorry about your wallet! :) Oh and welcome to Head-Fi! The slogan here should be is: We are enablers! Join at your own risk!
LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back