iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Aug 3, 2021 at 5:15 AM Post #5,926 of 6,983
The beauty of a DAP with full Android is the ability to fully utilize its hardware capabilities with 3rd party apps. From my experience, Android is rock stable in DX160. I use it with Neutron and face no problems.
I'm using your add on, having a few troubles now has for some odd reason most of the apps disappear from the app drawer. Probably will need a hard reset.

I also use Neutron and it can get a bit hotter sometimes. It's almost impossible to stream has WiFi signal is very weak. Also Tidal app doesn't work properly and on Mango Player it doesn't play gapless MQA files.

I still using the DX160 due to great sonic performance. My ZX507 is overall way better device.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2021 at 9:13 AM Post #5,927 of 6,983
I am very happy with my DX160. No issues with wifi at all when streaming Tidal and Spotify. Only problem is bluetooth. Almost not usable. But then, I did not buy a DAP to use with bluetooth. If I wanna use with bluetooth I will just connect to my phone.

Lurker's addon has been nothing short of fantastic for me. Works really great and I love it except for that one time when it does not shutdown.

Aug 3, 2021 at 12:07 PM Post #5,928 of 6,983
@PinkDevil , whatnawiFi router / wireless hub do you use with success for your DX160? I love its souls but find it unreliable with streamed Tidal from my WiFi, regardless of how close I am. But I know that others have success and that it depends on the brand of the WiFi system. I am willing to buy the right one, I like the DX160 sound so much!

Aug 3, 2021 at 1:42 PM Post #5,929 of 6,983
@PinkDevil , whatnawiFi router / wireless hub do you use with success for your DX160? I love its souls but find it unreliable with streamed Tidal from my WiFi, regardless of how close I am. But I know that others have success and that it depends on the brand of the WiFi system. I am willing to buy the right one, I like the DX160 sound so much!
I know you didn't ask me, but I also have no issues. I don't have connection issues, I just can't take it as far away from my router as I can with my phone or the DX300. I am using the Linksys WRT32X and pretty much always on 5ghz band for stability. I don't know if being on that band is really necessary, but I just leave it there because I had heard that using the band helps with stability. Might also be why I don't have as much range though..... :)

Aug 3, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #5,931 of 6,983
Was it hard to open?
Depends! I think there are 2 of the Dx160 backs. The very early original Dx160 have glasses back, then later were replaced with clear plastic. For both cases, you will need debonder, steady fingers and the correct tool.
Anyways, if you damaged the back panel, you can always order it, or…just slab some vinyl skins over it as there will be inner steel frame. You can see the exposed traces, those are the main output, except the detector. You should be able to pick up from here

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2021 at 5:04 PM Post #5,932 of 6,983
Depends! I think there are 2 of the Dx160 backs. The very early original Dx160 have glasses back, then later were replaced with clear plastic. For both cases, you will need debonder, steady fingers and the correct tool.
Anyways, if you damaged the back panel, you can always order it, or…just slab some vinyl skins over it as there will be inner steel frame. You can see the exposed traces, those are the main output, except the detector. You should be able to pick up from here
Thanks for your help.

I've been hesitant about my next dap, I really don't want to deal with QC issues, that's definitely a priority along with SQ. Still can't make up my mind between the Hiby R5s and this one.

Aug 3, 2021 at 5:10 PM Post #5,933 of 6,983
I'm so concerned about "possible issues" I'm actually thinking of ordering an extra battery just for replacement. It should be enough considering there shouldn't be any drainage issue for around 2 or 3 years. My sony walkman and ipod touch lasted for around 7 without any problem at all.

Honestly, these companies should at least make it easier for us. ""Its like they want their products to last an specific amount of time for us to purchase a new one.""

Aug 3, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #5,934 of 6,983
I'm so concerned about "possible issues" I'm actually thinking of ordering an extra battery just for replacement. It should be enough considering there shouldn't be any drainage issue for around 2 or 3 years. My sony walkman and ipod touch lasted for around 7 without any problem at all.

Honestly, these companies should at least make it easier for us. ""Its like they want their products to last an specific amount of time for us to purchase a new one.""
I don’t think it is anyone faults. Sony has a pretty low powered system as a whole, which put minimal drainage on the battery Vs other much more powerful players. However, all batteries are going to degrade, which scales accordingly to the usage and drainage. So, the only thing I would blame on would be the Non removable and non friendly replacement of batteries.

But, oh well, portability !! Anyways, if you can open these devices up, it should be pretty easy to replace the battery as no soldering required

I even think that since audio equipments are a niche market, where smartphones are a much more major market. The batteries and it suppliers are all set on producing these packs. I don’t think it is anyone faults for this….just the market, demands/supplies kinda stuff. These packs are not only in smartphones but drones and RC…etc… which receive a much more attentions and profit scales than portable audio

Aug 3, 2021 at 8:56 PM Post #5,935 of 6,983
I don’t think it is anyone faults. Sony has a pretty low powered system as a whole, which put minimal drainage on the battery Vs other much more powerful players. However, all batteries are going to degrade, which scales accordingly to the usage and drainage. So, the only thing I would blame on would be the Non removable and non friendly replacement of batteries.

But, oh well, portability !! Anyways, if you can open these devices up, it should be pretty easy to replace the battery as no soldering required

I even think that since audio equipments are a niche market, where smartphones are a much more major market. The batteries and it suppliers are all set on producing these packs. I don’t think it is anyone faults for this….just the market, demands/supplies kinda stuff. These packs are not only in smartphones but drones and RC…etc… which receive a much more attentions and profit scales than portable audio
I absolutely agree with you. Unfortunately, I'm not skilled enough to try this(I'm a logistic engineer, electronics is not my field of expertise despite knowing a thing or two).

Aug 4, 2021 at 11:48 AM Post #5,936 of 6,983
This is what I am using. Netgear ORBI RBR20. Ocassionally when I am out and about I also use the hot-spot from my mobile phone. It works well. I suggest you try and play from hot-spot of your phone first as I tried with a couple of mobile phones without issue. So I am really not sure if a new router is going to help you. Better to find someone who has it to test first.

IMG_20210804_233207_edit_414711584745572.jpg

Thanks for your help.

I've been hesitant about my next dap, I really don't want to deal with QC issues, that's definitely a priority along with SQ. Still can't make up my mind between the Hiby R5s and this one.
Sonically, nobody can tell you which one is better. You will need to test and see which one your prefer. Personally, I prefer the DX160 over the R5s. If you are listening mostly to local files then definitely the DX160. If you are going to stream, still the DX160 but make sure you ask the shop if you can test the set and see if there are any WiFi issues. I do not have any WiFi issues and is very pleased with it. With that being said, it does not mean that the R5s is not good. End of the day, its what you prefer. And one more thing to note, if you intend to use Bluetooth then you can really forget about the DX160. It's a rather crappy device in that aspect.

Aug 9, 2021 at 7:29 AM Post #5,938 of 6,983
best music app alternative?
or stick with the default player better?!
It all depends on the features that you want, and which UI looks better to you. Mango is a great app in and of itself. That being said, I personally use Neutron. Neutron, UAPP, and the Hiby app, are all bit-perfect players, so you will get the same sound from them (as well as Mango). Their DSP are where you might get some differences sonically as they all use different algorithms to accomplish this.

Aug 10, 2021 at 7:36 AM Post #5,939 of 6,983
With apologies, this is not a reply to the above but I thought I would throw in my tuppence worth. As someone before has said this isn't 'the truth', it's but one data point. I'll give you my journey first. I bought an iBasso dx50 off a mate after using iPods and you can imagine what a revelation that was...anyway a couple of months back I slipped it into my pocket while ferrying kids around but didn't zip up the pocket and inevitably it slipped out somewhere in the major city that I live along with the 300gb or so of music on cards in the case. Heartbroken....the simplicity of the UI and the beautiful sound it had... anyway I looked for a stop gap. After a bit of looking around I plumped for the Fiio M6. Disaster, the sound seems as if its behind a curtain or something, it's jut not giving enough. The UI is awfully underpowered and laggy. It didn't like the folder with Haydn string quartets in it (too big perhaps), this kept making it crash. Another solution was needed and after a bit of looking round I found the dx160 (open box) for a shade over 200 GBP. Not bad I thought, get back to the iBasso sound hopefully. Its a revelation ...beautiful sound (I'm using wired Sennheiser Momentum IIs ). A beautiful clear sound stage, wide open, very neutral. Brilliant.This is based on a few reference tracks, all FLAC. Arvo Parts Spiegel Im Speigel from Fur Alina; Brahms Piano Concerto 2 (Bernstein and Zimerman);George Bensons Breezin, Dire Straits Brothers in Arms; So What from Kind of Blue. Anyway I'm one happy listener again. If anyone finds my dx50 enjoy, its a great player..

Aug 10, 2021 at 11:47 PM Post #5,940 of 6,983
With apologies, this is not a reply to the above but I thought I would throw in my tuppence worth. As someone before has said this isn't 'the truth', it's but one data point. I'll give you my journey first. I bought an iBasso dx50 off a mate after using iPods and you can imagine what a revelation that was...anyway a couple of months back I slipped it into my pocket while ferrying kids around but didn't zip up the pocket and inevitably it slipped out somewhere in the major city that I live along with the 300gb or so of music on cards in the case. Heartbroken....the simplicity of the UI and the beautiful sound it had... anyway I looked for a stop gap. After a bit of looking around I plumped for the Fiio M6. Disaster, the sound seems as if its behind a curtain or something, it's jut not giving enough. The UI is awfully underpowered and laggy. It didn't like the folder with Haydn string quartets in it (too big perhaps), this kept making it crash. Another solution was needed and after a bit of looking round I found the dx160 (open box) for a shade over 200 GBP. Not bad I thought, get back to the iBasso sound hopefully. Its a revelation ...beautiful sound (I'm using wired Sennheiser Momentum IIs ). A beautiful clear sound stage, wide open, very neutral. Brilliant.This is based on a few reference tracks, all FLAC. Arvo Parts Spiegel Im Speigel from Fur Alina; Brahms Piano Concerto 2 (Bernstein and Zimerman);George Bensons Breezin, Dire Straits Brothers in Arms; So What from Kind of Blue. Anyway I'm one happy listener again. If anyone finds my dx50 enjoy, its a great player..
Great (tragic, but happy) story! And, welcome to Head-Fi. I have found the same "brilliant" sound from it (and now the DX300 even more so). I listen to both on a daily basis. I just don't think that there is a better sounding DAP in that price range (though that is totally subjective). I also came from Fiio devices, and though they didn't sound as bad as you described the M6, they were not up to the potential sound quality that is the DX160 IMO.

Congratulations (especially on the deal you got) on your new shiny! :beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back