iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Jun 15, 2021 at 3:42 AM Post #5,806 of 6,983
Jun 15, 2021 at 3:48 PM Post #5,807 of 6,983
I do know that the Wifi and BT will not really change. There isn't much we can do about it.
That's very disappointing to say the least, there must be a way to keep WiFi awake while streaming music, now we need to rely on third party apps keeping the DX160 awake by keeping the screen on, which of course drains the battery faster.

Jun 15, 2021 at 5:38 PM Post #5,808 of 6,983
Okay. I understand that the specs of dx160 are not great, especially considering the cpu, ram. However, I do wonder why the Wi-Fi/Bluetooth connectivity is weak. Is there anyone here who can inform me if this a software or hardware limitation? Based on the feedback coming from Paul, it looks like not a software but hardware issue...

Jun 15, 2021 at 8:12 PM Post #5,809 of 6,983
Okay. I understand that the specs of dx160 are not great, especially considering the cpu, ram. However, I do wonder why the Wi-Fi/Bluetooth connectivity is weak. Is there anyone here who can inform me if this a software or hardware limitation? Based on the feedback coming from Paul, it looks like not a software but hardware issue...
From the 388 pages in this thread I have read, I have come to the conclusion that it is more than likely a hardware issue. And, by the statement that Paul made regarding this, I would say that iBasso agrees.

For me, I have no wifi issues as long as I use 5ghz band. I am using an Asus WRT32X as my WiFi router. BT is 50/50 though. Most times I don't have too much issue because even when I am on BT I have the DX in my pocket anyhow. If I want to leave the area but close by, I normally use my PC for BT. So, for me, having the SQ near a TOTL DAP makes up for the niggles I have with it. However I do understand others that can't deal with it though.

I was a bit peeved for a minute with the DX though. I was getting horrid battery life, and while I don't install apps on it (other than stuff like Neutron, and UAPP, and etc...) it had to be a rogue app. I reset to factory, then reinstalled the latest FW (from August 2020), and now it is back to 8(ish) hours of battery again (up from about 3 hours). Mine is the 2019 version BTW.

Jun 16, 2021 at 4:35 AM Post #5,811 of 6,983
I don't know right now. Our software team has their own space, of course, they are very focused and will work on the different bugs that have been brought up. Software people are very different, you try to leave them alone. :^) I do know that the Wifi and BT will not really change. There isn't much we can do about it.
This is an old topic discussed here.

Don't use BT much (time to times paired with a flip 4), but regarding Wifi the biggest problem that I had was related with my router and ISP, once solved wifi is just fine.

What i've noticed is that wifi range is shorter than other devices, it's a hardware limitation for sure, nothing can be done.

Jun 24, 2021 at 6:42 AM Post #5,813 of 6,983
Tidal still doesn't work properly. Tried Apple Music yesterday and it's absolutely useless since WiFi is really bad. A beautiful device and excellent sonic performance but useless for streaming.

Jun 24, 2021 at 8:10 AM Post #5,814 of 6,983
Use 5ghz band.

Jun 24, 2021 at 8:31 AM Post #5,815 of 6,983
Jun 24, 2021 at 8:33 AM Post #5,816 of 6,983
The latest version of Hiby app doesn't support the DX160.

Jun 24, 2021 at 11:44 AM Post #5,817 of 6,983
After using the iBasso for a few months I got annoyed by all it‘s flaws so much (mostly the reeeeally slow UI) that I decided to sell it and use my phone as a player again. The fact that I bought a proper hifi system recently helped with that decision..

what should I say… when using efficient IEMs (SE846) I really can not tell a difference to the iBasso. The first impression of the stage being wider and the sound being clearer probably was just placebo.
i‘m not regretting the initial purchase, but I will stay away from DAPs as long as I don‘t buy more demanding headphones.

Jun 24, 2021 at 12:37 PM Post #5,818 of 6,983
The latest version of Hiby app doesn't support the DX160.
This is why I don't let apps installed be updated. I have been relatively happy with the way the device works (not to say that I haven't had SOME issues with some apps not working correctly in the past). I don't have any issues with WiFi on mine. It doesn't have near the range of a smart phone or something like that, but from my central WiFi hub, I can be everywhere in my house without issue. I don't know how true or not this is, but I have read in the past that the DX160 is pretty picky on what router you are using. I am using an Asus gaming router. Maybe try re-checking at a friends house or something like that (or even updating your router)?! Just spit-balling here, so no guarantees.

As for Hiby app, I didn't see it, but I saw that you could download and use an older version of Tidal if you think that it is the cause of your woes for using Tidal. Go HERE and search for the app you want to downgrade. Also, you could try and use Tidal through UAPP.
After using the iBasso for a few months I got annoyed by all it‘s flaws so much (mostly the reeeeally slow UI) that I decided to sell it and use my phone as a player again. The fact that I bought a proper hifi system recently helped with that decision..

what should I say… when using efficient IEMs (SE846) I really can not tell a difference to the iBasso. The first impression of the stage being wider and the sound being clearer probably was just placebo.
i‘m not regretting the initial purchase, but I will stay away from DAPs as long as I don‘t buy more demanding headphones.
If your ears are happy, then all is well, and you saved quite a bit of money IMO. For me, I can definitely tell a difference between my phone and a specialized DAP. Sound-wise, one would be hard pressed to find a better DAP in its price range. What comes with this is some sacrifice (poor WiFi and BT implementation for instance).

Also keep in mind that not all DAPs have issues you can't live with. If you ever want to change your mind and look for a DAP in the future, I would suggest you audition (and thoroughly test all the features that matter to you) if you can. Amazon also is great for this if you can't. Their return policy is pretty awesome IMO!

Jun 24, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #5,819 of 6,983
This is why I don't let apps installed be updated. I have been relatively happy with the way the device works (not to say that I haven't had SOME issues with some apps not working correctly in the past). I don't have any issues with WiFi on mine. It doesn't have near the range of a smart phone or something like that, but from my central WiFi hub, I can be everywhere in my house without issue. I don't know how true or not this is, but I have read in the past that the DX160 is pretty picky on what router you are using. I am using an Asus gaming router. Maybe try re-checking at a friends house or something like that (or even updating your router)?! Just spit-balling here, so no guarantees.

As for Hiby app, I didn't see it, but I saw that you could download and use an older version of Tidal if you think that it is the cause of your woes for using Tidal. Go HERE and search for the app you want to downgrade. Also, you could try and use Tidal through UAPP.

I'm aware the problem could be with the router I have from Huawei-Vodafone but still the WiFi performance is poor.

I have the Lurker add on and the Hiby app works without any problems. I just wanted to try the latest version to check the new MQA and Tidal streaming in app features.

I also use UAPP for Tidal streaming.

Jun 25, 2021 at 6:25 AM Post #5,820 of 6,983
Shame on me. After further research the problem is with the Hiby app itself since actually the release is buggy, so it doesn't recognize some devices and Tidal streaming doesn't work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back