iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Jun 27, 2021 at 4:48 AM Post #5,822 of 6,983
After further research the problem is with the Hiby app itself since actually the release is buggy, so it doesn't recognize some devices and Tidal streaming doesn't work.
Which version are you using? Today I've download the free HiBy Music_v4.1.0 International build 5546, but I don't use Lurker and Tidal, only offline music.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2021 at 4:55 AM Post #5,823 of 6,983
Which version are you using? Today I've download the free HiBy Music_v4.1.0 International build 5546, but I don't use Lurker and Tidal, only offline music.

Don't have access to the DX160 now but i think it's the same version.

Jun 29, 2021 at 10:54 AM Post #5,824 of 6,983
Ever since trying the DX160 and then returning it in frustration with its inability to stay connected to my WiFi for Tidal streaming, I have missed its snappy sound and beautiful display, sorely. I understand that some folk have no trouble getting their DX160 to reliably operate with their WiFi.

I am willing to purchase a new WiFi router for the sake of using the DX160.

if you have WiFi that Works with Tidal for your DX160, which router (brand and model number) do you have?

Thank you!

Jun 29, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #5,825 of 6,983
Ever since trying the DX160 and then returning it in frustration with its inability to stay connected to my WiFi for Tidal streaming, I have missed its snappy sound and beautiful display, sorely. I understand that some folk have no trouble getting their DX160 to reliably operate with their WiFi.

if you have WiFi that Works with Tidal for your DX160, which router (brand and model number) do you have?

Thank you!
Hi,
The fundamental issue is Android puts the Wi-Fi to sleep a short time after screen goes to sleep.
My successful cure with no streaming issues is leave screen on, Ibasso powered by external battery or supply.

im using the Ibasso dx160 as a desktop player so having it static isn’t an issue

Jun 29, 2021 at 11:34 AM Post #5,826 of 6,983

Thank you!

Hi,
The fundamental issue is Android puts the Wi-Fi to sleep a short time after screen goes to sleep.
My successful cure with no streaming issues is leave screen on, Ibasso powered by external battery or supply.

im using the Ibasso dx160 as a desktop player so having it static isn’t an issue
I agree with your assessment about the android system sleeping issue. Maybe it wasn't there in android 8, but it seems as though there (normally) is an option in settings that allows to change this behavior, and that it has been removed in the DX160. At this point, I doubt they are going to spend any more time (money) in adding or changing features on this DAP, as much as that makes me sad. I DO believe that this could be fixed in the software, but has been part of the system since the beginning (I have the 2019 version).

On the other hand the DX160 DOES have some weak antennas, and if your problem is that you are simply having spotty connection, upgrading your router CAN help the situation, though not fully cure it. Also, at this point iBasso is not going to dedicate any more time into fixing the connection issues (@ paul - iBasso has even said on here that those issues cannot be fixed at this point).

For my part, I am using the Linksys WRT32X Gaming Router, and I have no issues with connection, other than the ones mentioned above when android puts it to sleep.

Jun 29, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #5,828 of 6,983
Thank you for the Linksys WRT32X Gaming Router recommendation. I am aware of the sleep issue… that is not the problem. Neither is distance from the router… I have been within 10 feet of my router with the DX160, and it fails.

When I raised the issue here a few weeks ago, there were a few people saying that they had no problem, or that they used to have a problem but then changed router, so that is what I am trying.

Thanks!

Jun 29, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #5,829 of 6,983
Thank you for the Linksys WRT32X Gaming Router recommendation. I am aware of the sleep issue… that is not the problem. Neither is distance from the router… I have been within 10 feet of my router with the DX160, and it fails.

When I raised the issue here a few weeks ago, there were a few people saying that they had no problem, or that they used to have a problem but then changed router, so that is what I am trying.

Thanks!
Also, consider using 5ghz band rather than 2.4. It does have less overall range that way, but the connection is also stronger (you might try that even before getting a new router). This is the way I have mine set up, and I can pretty much get around my entire house (for mapping purposes, I have about 2900 square feet in 3 levels). Granted, there are spots in the house that the connection is fairly weak, but it never fails when streaming.

Your welcome! Hope you get it solved! :beerchug:

Jun 29, 2021 at 2:14 PM Post #5,830 of 6,983
I think the problem lies in negotiating energy-saving measures between the devices. I have two TPlink devices, an old 11n router (2,4GHz) and an AC1750 WiFi repeater. But only with the repeater at 11n 2.4GHz are problems due to interruptions, not so with 11ac 5GHz. The range is still not that screaming, but can be used for living areas.

Jun 30, 2021 at 3:47 AM Post #5,831 of 6,983
Who have problems with Hiby-Music and Tidal or Google play, a update to fix this issue, today can download.

HiBy Music 4.1.0 International build 5547

2021-06-29

1. Fixed issues with TIDAL login;
2. Fixed issue where some phone models are not supported on Google Play;
Thanks for the update. Will try it later but works fine on my phone.

Jun 30, 2021 at 5:09 AM Post #5,832 of 6,983
I feel the need to ask a stupid question, when using the tidal app dx160 indicates that orange crush by rem is playing at 192 kHz. Same song through usb audio pro (still tidal) indicates 96khz, and for hiby music player its 44,1 kHz. why is this? Is there anything I can do? I would like to use usb audio as my only listening app but with maximum quality

Jun 30, 2021 at 8:29 AM Post #5,833 of 6,983
I feel the need to ask a stupid question, when using the tidal app dx160 indicates that orange crush by rem is playing at 192 kHz. Same song through usb audio pro (still tidal) indicates 96khz, and for hiby music player its 44,1 kHz. why is this? Is there anything I can do? I would like to use usb audio as my only listening app but with maximum quality
Is this song in MQA? If so I can only surmise (because no one has really gotten a totally clear answer on this) that Hiby is not unfolding the song all the way. The DX160 is not capable of unfolding a MQA file all the way in hardware, so it has to have an app that can unfold more in software. I assume you paid the in-app purchase for unfolding in UAPP? If so, it will unfold only up to 96khz IIRC. And, from reading the description on the UAPP app page, the dev says that Tidal upsamples their music to either 48 or 192. I would guess that, that is the reason you see 192khz.

Here is a quote from UAPP page on unfolding:
The MQA decoder will unfold the MQA stream from 44.1/48kHz to 88.2/96 kHz and can also be combined with certain USB DACs that feature an MQA renderer (e.g. AudioQuest DragonFly / iFi / Ztella DACs) for further unfolding to even higher sample rates.
Please visit http://mqa.co.uk for more information about MQA and https://www.extreamsd.com/index.php/mqa to read more about MQA inside the app.

And another from Hiby app description:
7. Expanded on-device output sampling rate to 44.1 and 48kHz, adapting to phones with different Android system sampling rates;

So it may be that the Hiby app is using anroid stack for sound?!

Jul 1, 2021 at 3:54 AM Post #5,835 of 6,983
I know that the answer to this question is highly subjective and probably a worn out topic but…is there a difference between usb audio player and the tidal app soundwise? I tried comparing them and think that I like the sound from uapp better (when using tidal). But is it possible?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back