iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Apr 14, 2021 at 9:27 AM Post #5,611 of 6,991
I´m having problems with Lurker FW (and probably USB Audio player). When installed Tidal (2.37) refuses to play master tracks. When using UAPP the usb dac setting stops and starts multiple times without me doing anything. Tried resetting everything and installing everything fresh but the problem returns.

And a newbie question, in UAPP i get direct out at 96 kHz but the mqa indicates a higher quality (192 khz). Is that a limitation in UAPP (Running Tidal inside UAPP)?
I was also having the same issue on Lurker FW (iBasso DX160 2019 model with Firmware 1.06.177 -> DX160-A8.1-L1.28b1) whereby Tidal wasn't functioning well with Master tracks. I tried Tidal 2.37,2.38 & 2.39, and they have the same issue.

The problem somehow disappeared after ditching Lurker FW & flashed the official firmware 1.06.177. Tidal 2.39 works okay for now.

Hope this helps.

Apr 14, 2021 at 7:48 PM Post #5,612 of 6,991
Hi,

I was using a 4.4mm cable with my Sennheiser HD600, and yesterday, all of a sudden the volume strength seem to have reduced considerably.
I've tried to reset the device, but nothing changed.

I tried the headphones with a 3.5mm cable in another devices and it seems to be working well (the 3.5mm input on the Ibasso is faulty, so I can't try it)
Unfortunately, I can't test the same cable as I don't have any other device with a 4.4mm input to test if it could be a cable issue or a device's problem.

Did anyone ever had a similar issue?
Do you think it's probably a problem with the device or rather the cable?

Thanks in advance
Not really enough information is given for anyone to help you decide that. For instance if you are using a third party app such as Neutron, and are using EQ (by default) auto gain protection is on, and to keep the sound file from clipping, it will reduce the gain (effectively reducing perceived volume).

Apr 15, 2021 at 2:00 AM Post #5,613 of 6,991
I was also having the same issue on Lurker FW (iBasso DX160 2019 model with Firmware 1.06.177 -> DX160-A8.1-L1.28b1) whereby Tidal wasn't functioning well with Master tracks. I tried Tidal 2.37,2.38 & 2.39, and they have the same issue.

The problem somehow disappeared after ditching Lurker FW & flashed the official firmware 1.06.177. Tidal 2.39 works okay for now.

Hope this helps.
Thank you! Are you able to play every quality in Tidal without changing the setting for streaming quality? When I first used the 2,39 version I had to change the streamin quality for everything but master files, otherwise it wouldn't play the song?

Apr 15, 2021 at 3:42 AM Post #5,614 of 6,991
Thank you! Are you able to play every quality in Tidal without changing the setting for streaming quality? When I first used the 2,39 version I had to change the streamin quality for everything but master files, otherwise it wouldn't play the song?
Oh yeah, you're right. The sad part is we'll still have to manually change the streaming quality to match the current song playing...

I supposed we'll have to use earlier versions of Tidal to enjoy the automatic streaming quality match or perhaps the upcoming DX160 firmware update could fix this issue :thinking:

Apr 16, 2021 at 10:05 AM Post #5,616 of 6,991
Hey guys.
I just got a used 2020 DX160 and I have a few problems and questions. I've read through a lot of this thread already and I'm quite familiar with the whole Android thing, but an Android DAP is still very new to me, so please forgive me if my questions have already been discussed, I wouldn't ask if I've got it already.

1. Anyone experienced heat from the device when listening to music? I have latest firmware and Lurker's addon installed. When not in USB Audio mode, it gets warm right after a few songs (mostly FLACs + DSF/DSD), and stays warm. Doesn't get any hotter, and it's still acceptable. But when I'm in USB Audio mode, it gets very hot, almost to the point of being not comfortable to hold it in my hand. I've had many Android phones and none of them have ever gotten this hot, so I think this is an issue.

2. Regarding USB Audio mode. Just to clarify, it's not the same as Mango mode right? Because I also see a button inside USB Audio app that says To Mango OS.

3. Do I have to go into USB Audio mode to play bit-perfect? Or the usual Android mode with lurker's Hiby player also does it? And with an IEM like the Dunu 3001 Pro is the difference noticeable to worth it going into USB audio mode? Because it seems like this mode eats up more battery and gets way hotter.

4. In USB Audio mode with the screen turned off, the volume wheel does not work. I have to turn the screen on to adjust volume. Is this normal?

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2021 at 10:23 AM Post #5,617 of 6,991
Hey guys.
I just got a used 2020 DX160 and I have a few problems and questions. I've read through a lot of this thread already and I'm quite familiar with the whole Android thing, but an Android DAP is still very new to me, so please forgive me if my questions have already been discussed, I wouldn't ask if I've got it already.

1. Anyone experienced heat from the device when listening to music? I have latest firmware and Lurker's addon installed. When not in USB Audio mode, it gets warm right after a few songs (mostly FLACs + DSF/DSD), and stays warm. Doesn't get any hotter, and it's still acceptable. But when I'm in USB Audio mode, it gets very hot, almost to the point of being not comfortable to hold it in my hand. I've had many Android phones and none of them have ever gotten this hot, so I think this is an issue.

2. Regarding USB Audio mode. Just to clarify, it's not the same as Mango mode right? Because I also see a button inside USB Audio app that says To Mango OS.

3. Do I have to go into USB Audio mode to play bit-perfect? Or the usual Android mode with lurker's Hiby player also does it? And with an IEM like the Dunu 3001 Pro is the difference noticeable to worth it going into USB audio mode? Because it seems like this mode eats up more battery and gets way hotter.

4. In USB Audio mode with the screen turned off, the volume wheel does not work. I have to turn the screen on to adjust volume. Is this normal?

1- Normal. Android phones don't have a dual dac and an amplifier inside.
2- No it's not. USB mode -> to use your DAP as a DAC/AMP. Mango -> alternative OS to android
3- No. USB audio is only when you want to use yout ibasso connected to a PC
4- There's a setting for this

Apr 16, 2021 at 10:38 AM Post #5,618 of 6,991
1- Normal. Android phones don't have a dual dac and an amplifier inside.
2- No it's not. USB mode -> to use your DAP as a DAC/AMP. Mango -> alternative OS to android
3- No. USB audio is only when you want to use yout ibasso connected to a PC
4- There's a setting for this
Thank you.
For #3. When not in usb audio I see the output information in Hiby changes. Bitrate, samplerate change to a lower value. "Player" shows Android instead of iBassoDx160. Does this make any difference or should I not care about that?

Apr 16, 2021 at 12:51 PM Post #5,619 of 6,991
An update for the DX220 was received this week. Is it expected for the DX160 in the near future?

Apr 17, 2021 at 1:22 AM Post #5,621 of 6,991
I've just tried charging my dx160 with the Oneplus 7T warp charge brick and the oneplus red cable. It got to full charge in aprx. 1 hour without the device getting hot.
Really surprised by this, does this mean the dap can accept high speed charging and there's no risk doing this? Keep in mind it didnt get warmer at all

Apr 17, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #5,622 of 6,991
I just bought a DX160 (2020 version) and I love it. It's light weight and has really great sound especially for its price. I plan to pair it with my Cayin C9 for really high quality listening and using it as a portable for walking around the house. It really does a good job for that use case. I also have an R6 2020 and I think the DX160 has superior sound even as the R6 has a superior feature set and speed. In comparing the sound with my iPhone and L&P W2, the sound is equivalent. I find the iPhone + W2 maybe 3-5% better with deeper bass and clarity, but in reality they are about the same.

That said, there are a few issues I have with the DX160. After reading the last few pages of this thread, I see that I am not the only one having this problem. I downloaded Tidal and for some reason, I could listen to most of the tracks in my playlists, but certain tracks wouldn't play at all. I wasn't sure if this was a defect in my unit or I was doing something else wrong. It felt like a buffering issue, but the track never would play. I reinstalled everything and then looked for problems via google. I was able to solve the problem by downloading music. I inserted a 500G micro SD card and downloaded 100G of music from my playlists and favorited albums. All of the play issues went away. I suppose this is due to some wifi networking issues with the product. Also, the DX160 does not allow you to use the micro SD as internal storage space. You need to select it as the drive to store music. Fine, but not as ideal as combining the SD card with internal storage like you can with the Hiby R6 2020.

The other issue I have is the short battery life. I guess the benefit of a smaller battery is lighter weight. The downside is I don't get a lot of play time before I need to recharge it.

The last issue is that I was hoping to use Parametric EQ on the DX160, but it only works with the Mango Player and is not system wide. So, that's a small disappointment.

That said, this is a great device and meets my needs for a portable DAP given it's great price-performance, great sound quality and light weight. I expect it to be a great pairing with the C9. I'll post those impressions on the C9 thread.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2021 at 4:18 AM Post #5,623 of 6,991
received_353226086119982.jpeg

Apr 20, 2021 at 12:45 PM Post #5,625 of 6,991
"Heal the world. Make it a better place. For you and for me, and the entire human race"

sorry can't help it.:o2smile: glad to see someone poppin' DX160 with the king of pop.
So do I 😄😉

Users who are viewing this thread

Back