iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Sep 6, 2020 at 9:40 PM Post #4,681 of 6,983
Have you read the install instructions on github?
Magisk - github

However if I recall I thought Lurker had posted something to the effect of he did not recommend updating Magisk on the DX160 due to the newer versions not supporting rockchip anymore??
I thought i would have to do this:

1599442699615.png

About Magisk not being available for rockchip, i am guessing some modules would work. Please help me if you can.

Sep 7, 2020 at 2:59 AM Post #4,682 of 6,983
You can make magisk work and download modules u need simply to patch the stock boot img with magisk manager and then reboot and it will work perfectly. Don't need to to update to latest version. The biggest issue for me was to remount system r-w and execute to make viper4android to work. I deleted all sound fx folder and deleted already all system apps and system folder to see if viper4android will work properly but
is impossible for me to make it work properly. It processes but buggy extrem. Tried ainur sauron and ainur narsil and all dsp dolby atmos etc and nothing Sounds properly with this device, not only this but the dx220 is the same crapp like all ibasso models. Processor power a big zero. Ibasso is for the garbage. Stock you can't even install a equalizer app to work. What is this.? Unbelievable.
I will never buy a portable player. Enough with all garbages. I will buy me an lg v60, root it and make it perfect and giving my money to iems.
Don't want to offense guys !! This my opinion.
Peace
Why are you writing in this post if Ibasso is such a garbage and if those who love buying portable players are such idiots?

Sep 7, 2020 at 5:16 AM Post #4,683 of 6,983
Guys, after five month of use (three of which were some sort of a sonic honeymoon) while not going as hard as @Right on - I must admit that I'm fairly disappointed with the DX160 in hindsight.
Had a chance to test some gear, got some spare money and threw it on a pair of fine IEMs and, most relevantly, on a FiiO M11Pro. 200$-something pricier than the DX160, I know...
But boy! Is it in a different ballpark!
Mind you, I've mostly got mad at the radios being close to unusable on the iBasso, both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, not the sound quality which I still regard as excellent.
But in all honesty, everything is the M11Pro is better, except the screen maybe: build quality, sound quality ("air", positioning, soundstage), radios (on par with a high-end phone), processor and memory, battery life... You name it.
Alright so, it's good to have a backup DAP, and it's a very good one, but for 200$ more... I kind of wish I didn't pull the trigger on the 2020 DX160 in the first place!
Sorry, had to say because these 2c of mine might get someone to save a little and "skip-upgrade", a choice that I think would make that one very, very happy.
A huge "Thank You" for being an entertaining and precious resource to You all here.

Sep 7, 2020 at 5:29 AM Post #4,684 of 6,983
Guys, after five month of use (three of which were some sort of a sonic honeymoon) while not going as hard as @Right on - I must admit that I'm fairly disappointed with the DX160 in hindsight.
Had a chance to test some gear, got some spare money and threw it on a pair of fine IEMs and, most relevantly, on a FiiO M11Pro. 200$-something pricier than the DX160, I know...
But boy! Is it in a different ballpark!
Mind you, I've mostly got mad at the radios being close to unusable on the iBasso, both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, not the sound quality which I still regard as excellent.
But in all honesty, everything is the M11Pro is better, except the screen maybe: build quality, sound quality ("air", positioning, soundstage), radios (on par with a high-end phone), processor and memory, battery life... You name it.
Alright so, it's good to have a backup DAP, and it's a very good one, but for 200$ more... I kind of wish I didn't pull the trigger on the 2020 DX160 in the first place!
Sorry, had to say because these 2c of mine might get someone to save a little and "skip-upgrade", a choice that I think would make that one very, very happy.
A huge "Thank You" for being an entertaining and precious resource to You all here.
Right on says every portable players are garbage 😉

Regarding DX160 it's YOUR point of vue. Regarding price in France between Fiio M11pro and DX160 it's 300 euros. I know many people who complain about Fiio M11Pro too but finally it's very personal and depends of what we're looking for. I really DO prefer an Ibasso DX160 at 400 euros instead of a FiiO M11Pro at 700 euros.

Sep 7, 2020 at 5:47 AM Post #4,685 of 6,983
I like the analogue-like sound of iBasso DX160's NOS filter. I listened to analogue vinyl sound for over 30 years.
But no DAPs made me feel like listening to analogue sound. Even A&K SP1000 nor Cayin N8 did. DX160 made me
feel like that first. So for me, DX160 is more precious than much more expensive DAPs (like Fiio M11 Pro).
Price is not sound itself.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2020 at 6:14 AM Post #4,686 of 6,983
Regarding DX160 it's YOUR point of view.
Of course. Very true but very personal thus debatable.
You can reduce that 300€ price gap through some sales if you're lucky...
Price is not sound itself.
Agreed. Never thought it is. Until now maybe. And build quality. And speed...
People out there complaining about the M11Pro were on shrooms maybe, or perhaps they got a bad unit.
Or maybe I got a slightly defective DX160 unit, IDK...
I just felt I had to share my point of view, since I'm not comparing the iBasso with a 2'000$ DAP there. The gap is there, and it's well worth the extra bucks, in my opinion.
Just as usual, YMMV. :ksc75smile:

Sep 7, 2020 at 6:49 AM Post #4,687 of 6,983
Why are you writing in this post if Ibasso is such a garbage and if those who love buying portable players are such idiots?
I don't said you are idiots, I said only that the ibasso players don't have processor power to make dsp, sound mods work perfectly. It crashes all time. It is buggy.
All players who have android are really bad in terms of software. Rockchip is the worst out there. Arm Is a a joke.
Stock you can't even install a eq app and make it work. Is an android device. !!! You know for some equalizer and dsp is very important. To make a player work how I like is the most important thing for me.

Right on says every portable players are garbage 😉

Regarding DX160 it's YOUR point of vue. Regarding price in France between Fiio M11pro and DX160 it's 300 euros. I know many people who complain about Fiio M11Pro too but finally it's very personal and depends of what we're looking for. I really DO prefer an Ibasso DX160 at 400 euros instead of a FiiO M11Pro at 700 euros.
Stock the ibasso dx160 with lurkers firmware and ainur sauron and ainur narsil, sounds really good. Lurker is life saver and that's true. Even without sound mods and modifications the sound good.
I said about processor power, who use rockchip in this world? Only ibasso. don't get me wrong guys. All I want is to make it work and give it to guys who like dsps and give it for free
I thought i would have to do this:

About Magisk not being available for rockchip, i am guessing some modules would work. Please help me if you can.
Install lurkers firmware and then install magisk manager apk.
Download exact the same official firmware you have in your player.
Find the boot.img inside folder you downloaded, Copy into device.
Now open magisk manager, type update, choose the boot.img select patch file.
After patching reboot device.
After this process magisk manager will work and you will be able to download and install all modules. No need to update to latest version. Don't flash magisk_patched.img It will cause problems, bootloop.

You can use ex kernel manager to flash zips . U need to unlock device - disable verity and remount system.

That's it.

Sep 9, 2020 at 3:22 AM Post #4,692 of 6,983
New to thread. Just picked up Ibasso DX160 2020 version. Love the sound and player so far but having difficulty using as usb dac with iPad. On Fiio m15 can choose mode and works flawlessly but unable to figure out if it can be used with IPad as there is no mode select for USB dac in menu options and does not seem to work plug anew play with supplied usb cable. Help would be appreciated.

Sep 9, 2020 at 4:08 AM Post #4,693 of 6,983
New to thread. Just picked up Ibasso DX160 2020 version. Love the sound and player so far but having difficulty using as usb dac with iPad. On Fiio m15 can choose mode and works flawlessly but unable to figure out if it can be used with IPad as there is no mode select for USB dac in menu options and does not seem to work plug anew play with supplied usb cable. Help would be appreciated.
1. Use a different cable.
2. There is usb dac mode available in mango player, did you turn that on?

Sep 10, 2020 at 2:41 PM Post #4,695 of 6,983
Hi guys. I'm in the market for new DAP( last dap I had was a 2007 Cowon D2).Please help me with advice. My main concern is Sound Quality, how is DX 160 compares to Cowon Plenue D2 or other similar DAPs(200-400$ price range) in terms of SQ?
Thank you for reading my message

Users who are viewing this thread

Back