iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Sep 5, 2020 at 7:48 AM Post #4,667 of 6,983
My DX160 has just arrived! Incredible fast shipping (24hrs). I have some doubts:

1) I'd like to know how I can recognize that is actually a 2020 version. I'm sure that on my 2019 version there was the year "2019" printed on the back, and this one has got "2020", but I don't know if it is enough to recognize it.

2) It has arrived with a small blow in the corner, but there aren't scratches, is it possible that is a factory defect? Or maybe has it fallen?

3) I noticed that the dap is getting hot easily, more easily than I remember about my 2019 version that I sold some months ago.

Maybe @Paul - iBasso can help me... ?

Thanks!
20200902_144119.jpg20200902_144047.jpg20200902_144100.jpg
Have you noticed any differences in sound going from 2019 to your 2020? I know it is hard to compare when not making it directly at the same time but possibly there is some changes as i thinking is it worth to upgrade to 2020 version when 2019 already working very good.

Sep 5, 2020 at 7:56 AM Post #4,668 of 6,983
I am sorry for being a PITA but can someone please guide me in regard to just rooting the device so I can use masgik modules and xposed etc.

It appears that lurker actually already answered this when he stated that all DX160's come already rooted, no need for his custom firmware to do this. He even gave you the command that would show you its already rooted by taking it to the root command prompt in the adb terminal.

Sep 5, 2020 at 8:01 AM Post #4,669 of 6,983
On the latest firmware...DX160 sounds closer to the ZX500...Been doing a side by side comparison on filter 3. With Lurker mod installed. Mango OS imaging is so much better and closed the gap significantly. This is with Direct mode for both.No EQ. So for the money DX160 is worth every penny and some. ZX is only about 5-8% better at this point. This is a sound comparison only.
Wanted to know what means closer to zx500. More warmer analog or other way closer?. What your opinion about differences in firmware of dx160. Have you noticed some differences between them or between original and lurker modes? I think there are some differences between ibasso and lurker moded version but don't know if it is my imagination as i don't have two units to compare. So when i saw you also noticed some differences then seems that is is not my mind joking :)

Sep 5, 2020 at 9:56 AM Post #4,670 of 6,983
It appears that lurker actually already answered this when he stated that all DX160's come already rooted, no need for his custom firmware to do this. He even gave you the command that would show you its already rooted by taking it to the root command prompt in the adb terminal.
I know but I am unsure if I should have it in recovery mode or bootloader mode when using adb and also the rockchip drivers dont seem to work for me or perhaps its the USB port.

Sep 5, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #4,671 of 6,983
On the latest firmware...DX160 sounds closer to the ZX500...Been doing a side by side comparison on filter 3. With Lurker mod installed. Mango OS imaging is so much better and closed the gap significantly. This is with Direct mode for both.No EQ. So for the money DX160 is worth every penny and some. ZX is only about 5-8% better at this point. This is a sound comparison only.

So I tried playing music from mango os. Wow, I'm impressed. Not that the sq from mango app is not good, its actually damn good. But the sq from using pure mango os is even better...a lot better. It's like a veil been lifted. From my prev short audition of the zx507, I won't say its better than dx160, it wins some but looses the other (sq wise). But when listening thru mango OS, it's really hard for me to justify myself getting the zx507. Tbh, its hard for me to admit it since I'm Sony fanboy and I've always wanted to get the zx507 (i still do!).

Sep 5, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #4,672 of 6,983
So I tried playing music from mango os. Wow, I'm impressed. Not that the sq from mango app is not good, its actually damn good. But the sq from using pure mango os is even better...a lot better. It's like a veil been lifted. From my prev short audition of the zx507, I won't say its better than dx160, it wins some but looses the other (sq wise). But when listening thru mango OS, it's really hard for me to justify myself getting the zx507. Tbh, its hard for me to admit it since I'm a Sony fanboy and I've always wanted to get the zx507 (i still do!).

You can get it if your wallet allows it. It's better in other areas like BT / WIFI and Sony's inhouse sound enhancements. Based on the sound only, I think you're set.It'd be better to spend on a good IEM like the ThieAudio Clairvoyance.

Wanted to know what means closer to zx500. More warmer analog or other way closer?. What your opinion about differences in firmware of dx160. Have you noticed some differences between them or between original and lurker modes? I think there are some differences between ibasso and lurker moded version but don't know if it is my imagination as i don't have two units to compare. So when i saw you also noticed some differences then seems that is is not my mind joking :)

As in almost the same sound signature with Lurker Mango OS mode. Sony is a little more accurate via Bass and separation but not by much and slightly deeper soundstage. If all you care about is the music. Dx160 is really good.

you don't need two units. Mango OS Mode is just better than the Android side of things. It's like the software is sitting closer to the Hardware and you hear it in the music.

Maybe Android has too many layers and things going on which affects the music.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2020 at 11:12 PM Post #4,673 of 6,983
Have you noticed any differences in sound going from 2019 to your 2020? I know it is hard to compare when not making it directly at the same time but possibly there is some changes as i thinking is it worth to upgrade to 2020 version when 2019 already working very good.

Tbh I didn't notice differences that I can'remember, I should do a comparison with both devices here at the same time. Btw it seems to me that Bluetooth is better, but wifi is the same, it loses connection sometimes while streaming on Tidal.

Sep 6, 2020 at 1:07 AM Post #4,674 of 6,983
Is it safe to flash magisk manager from recovery without add-ons etc? I am guessing one can use systemless root after installing magisk

Sep 6, 2020 at 1:23 AM Post #4,675 of 6,983
I got my 2019 DX160 back with changed buffer a few weeks back. Some wait time passed in between and I don't have another unit so I can't compare the before/after for certain. I think the dynamics are very slightly better but I don't hear any significant changes. The battery consumption is slightly higher but not by a lot - similar to iBasso revising the official runtime down an hour. Basically, the DX160 should sound at least as good or slightly better, and if you are looking for an entire upgrade in sound don't bother because it is a subtle tweak of the existing signature.

I sent it in because I'm using the DX160 less during COVID19 - a good time to get the buffer changed, install a fresh battery and order a silicon case all in the same shipment. I don't want to mention prices in case of changes, but if you should email Paul about those if you are already considering changing buffers. I feel that the rates for those are very reasonable, like the buffer change.

Sep 6, 2020 at 5:04 AM Post #4,676 of 6,983
Tbh I didn't notice differences that I can'remember, I should do a comparison with both devices here at the same time. Btw it seems to me that Bluetooth is better, but wifi is the same, it loses connection sometimes while streaming on Tidal.
I think the problem is Tidal. I'm on a Tidal fan group and everyone complain about that. They all use different devices to listen.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2020 at 10:50 AM Post #4,677 of 6,983
I got my 2019 DX160 back with changed buffer a few weeks back. Some wait time passed in between and I don't have another unit so I can't compare the before/after for certain. I think the dynamics are very slightly better but I don't hear any significant changes. The battery consumption is slightly higher but not by a lot - similar to iBasso revising the official runtime down an hour. Basically, the DX160 should sound at least as good or slightly better, and if you are looking for an entire upgrade in sound don't bother because it is a subtle tweak of the existing signature.

I sent it in because I'm using the DX160 less during COVID19 - a good time to get the buffer changed, install a fresh battery and order a silicon case all in the same shipment. I don't want to mention prices in case of changes, but if you should email Paul about those if you are already considering changing buffers. I feel that the rates for those are very reasonable, like the buffer change.
Its a good info you gave us , i think i will wait or compare to shop version but seems that upgrade not very related to noticable sound changes. I have upgraded to lurker version and decided to use mango mode. And this gave in my opinion even better sound (soundstange , imaging, clarity) than android version. With my fiio fh3 very good combination and a little bit to the side of bass lovers, but this could be chaged with iems. Thanks for sharing your experience. In the future possibly will want to change buffer any way. If this could be done not sending to china i think everyone would do this but now a little bit complicated.

Sep 6, 2020 at 10:52 AM Post #4,678 of 6,983
Thanks, so basically very small changes and this is good news for such like me owners of 2019 version :wink:

Sep 6, 2020 at 5:46 PM Post #4,679 of 6,983
Is it safe to flash magisk manager from recovery without add-ons etc? I am guessing one can use systemless root after installing magisk

Have you read the install instructions on github?
Magisk - github

However if I recall I thought Lurker had posted something to the effect of he did not recommend updating Magisk on the DX160 due to the newer versions not supporting rockchip anymore??

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2020 at 7:50 PM Post #4,680 of 6,983
You can make magisk work and download modules u need simply to patch the stock boot img with magisk manager and then reboot and it will work perfectly. Don't need to to update to latest version. The biggest issue for me was to remount system r-w and execute to make viper4android to work. I deleted all sound fx folder and deleted already all system apps and system folder to see if viper4android will work properly but
is impossible for me to make it work properly. It processes but buggy extrem. Tried ainur sauron and ainur narsil and all dsp dolby atmos etc and nothing Sounds properly with this device, not only this but the dx220 is the same crapp like all ibasso models. Processor power a big zero. Ibasso is for the garbage. Stock you can't even install a equalizer app to work. What is this.? Unbelievable.
I will never buy a portable player. Enough with all garbages. I will buy me an lg v60, root it and make it perfect and giving my money to iems.
Don't want to offense guys !! This my opinion.
Peace

Users who are viewing this thread

Back