iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Sep 12, 2020 at 1:44 PM Post #4,711 of 6,983
I still think the budget can be broken down further as the price range between $250 and $700 is huge. If I only have $370 to spend and that’s me maxed out, reading reviews of $700 daps isn’t doing me any favours. That’s why I bought the DX160 at its price (and as far as I’m concerned: Best Bang For Buck at that moment in time) but if I had $700 to spend I would have bought something else or bought the DX160 and put the $350 towards the Empyrean Fund
(Currently at $0.0 so long way to go)
I agree but that's the ranges that really sound distinct from one another. Like a real step up. As much as I like the DX160, it just isn't there yet in terms of dynamics and soundstage compared to $700-$1500 class daps. Maybe $100-$350 and $350-$700 would have been a better range.

Btw, I'd recommend you give the Hifiman Sundara a listen. It has a similar sound signature to the Empyrean at a fraction of its price. Granted the Empyrean is smoother and has more natural treble but the Sundara is pretty darn close.

Sep 12, 2020 at 2:12 PM Post #4,712 of 6,983
I agree but that's the ranges that really sound distinct from one another. Like a real step up. As much as I like the DX160, it just isn't there yet in terms of dynamics and soundstage compared to $700-$1500 class daps. Maybe $100-$350 and $350-$700 would have been a better range.

Btw, I'd recommend you give the Hifiman Sundara a listen. It has a similar sound signature to the Empyrean at a fraction of its price. Granted the Empyrean is smoother and has more natural treble but the Sundara is pretty darn close.

Thanks, I have Hifiman He400i’s( it’s my go to headphone out of the three that I have) and they sound really good via my Valve Amp with The DX160 as line Feed and playing the laid back jazz (anything up but not into the Jazz Funk Era) and Non-shouty vocals that I like. I’m not a bass freak but do like a good sounding double bass.
The big issue with going up in Quality is that you can hear more defects in the recordings (Spittle building up inside Sax for example, Keith Jarret and Oscar’s vocalisations become more distinct) which can be distracting but live club jazz with the clink of drinks glasses and crowd vocalisations is almost like being there so the additional Sounds add to the Ambience

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2020 at 2:21 PM Post #4,714 of 6,983
Sep 12, 2020 at 2:34 PM Post #4,716 of 6,983
Sep 12, 2020 at 6:18 PM Post #4,717 of 6,983
Is anyone able to use Tidal while outputting to Hugo 2 via USB?

Sep 13, 2020 at 2:02 AM Post #4,718 of 6,983
The big issue with going up in Quality is that you can hear more defects in the recordings
The big issue is the poor recording quality. If well recorded stuff sounds splendid, you can only blame the poorly recorded songs.

Sep 13, 2020 at 2:54 AM Post #4,719 of 6,983
The big issue is the poor recording quality. If well recorded stuff sounds splendid, you can only blame the poorly recorded songs.
Yes there is some stuff out there that is dynamically limited and it really comes across.
what I was meaning was as the Quality goes up you hear more in the recordings and that’s sometimes background sounds from the musicians or other people in the recording. Previously I could just hear the music but as my setup took me up several notches I became aware of little side conversations between musicians that I never heard before, now I just wonder what they were talking about!!!
something else I picked up on was occasional fingernails scrapping the guitar body that I never heard before now my brain tells me to listen out for it.
It’s boosted my liking for live jazz club recordings though where all these extraneous sounds put you in the event space

Sep 13, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #4,721 of 6,983
Any idea who to contact to repair a broken DX160 screen

Sep 13, 2020 at 3:42 PM Post #4,723 of 6,983
Thanks

Sep 13, 2020 at 9:00 PM Post #4,724 of 6,983
Can anyone explain why the 4.4 on the 160 sounds bad compared to the SE?
My iems sound great on both connections.

Any idea who to contact to repair a broken DX160 screen
Usually Paul responds in one business day or two via email. If you are proceeding, you can also ask Paul about the prices of replacing the battery if it's been well used and getting a spare silicon case. I did that when getting my buffers replaced so that I can settle everything in one shipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back