iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Jul 8, 2020 at 9:17 AM Post #4,201 of 6,983
@RikudouGoku Btw how are you finding the DX160 in general and compared to M11 which you owned earlier? Obviously, the UI would be a bit snappier but how about the SQ!
I am taking short-notes/comments with a lot of my iems (about the difference). But since I dont have the M11 it is obviously not 100% correct (although my desktop setup, the Topping E10 + JDS labs Atom sounds near identical to the M11).

I will post the results in my own database thread since I dont want to spam other threads.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/rik...ds-ranking-list-music-list-statistics.925319/

Jul 8, 2020 at 9:29 AM Post #4,202 of 6,983
I am taking short-notes/comments with a lot of my iems (about the difference). But since I dont have the M11 it is obviously not 100% correct (although my desktop setup, the Topping E10 + JDS labs Atom sounds near identical to the M11).

I will post the results in my own database thread since I dont want to spam other threads.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/rik...ds-ranking-list-music-list-statistics.925319/
I suggest you post your impressions here too.. it won't be spamming at all since you are talking about the DX160 specifically

Jul 8, 2020 at 9:41 AM Post #4,203 of 6,983
I suggest you post your impressions here too.. it won't be spamming at all since you are talking about the DX160 specifically
Sure I can do that. Or do you prefer If I just link the post instead of copy-pasting?

Jul 8, 2020 at 10:46 AM Post #4,206 of 6,983
Here are my findings about the difference between the Fiio M11 and the Ibasso DX160.

Moondrop Blessing 2 (4,4mm): sounds warmer and less analytical, making it more enjoyable for me.

Tin Hifi P1 (4,4mm): removes the occassional slight treble peaks (No Treble "peakiness" from 9 to 10)

Shuoer Tape (oratory1990 EQ Preset, 4,4mm): ..somehow it has a more natural timbre??? (Timbre from 5 to 6)

Urbanfun ISS014(4,4mm): polished away some very tiny treble peaks (No Treble "peakiness" from 7 to 8)

Sony XBA-A2(3,5mm): Tighter bass, bigger soundstage in depth and width (Bass tightness from 5 to 6)

Final Audio E5000 (high gain, 3,5mm): tighter bass and a bit faster bass, which I like (matches really well with the DX160) (Bass tightness from 3 to 5, Bass speed from 2 to 3)

Blon Bl-03(3,5mm): soundstage is deeper (Soundstage from 5 to 6).

LZ A6 (pink filter, 4,4mm): soundstage is deeper.Timbre is a bit more natural (most likely because the treble extension isnt as good as on the M11 and that is where the Piezo drivers are working in)

Shozy Form 1.1(3,5mm): Soundstage bigger in depth and width. A bit tighter bass (matches well with the DX160) (Soundstage from 5 to 6)

Final Audio E3000 (high gain, 3,5mm): Soundstage bigger in depth and width. A bit tighter bass (matches well with the DX160) ( Bass tightness from 4 to 5)

Moondrop KXXS (3,5mm): Less analytical sounding, bigger soundstage in depth and widht, tighter bass, less treble peaks. (rank up from B to B+)

Audiosense T800 (stock + brown knowles filter, 3,5mm): NO HISSING! Bigger soundstage

ThieAudio Voyager 3 (3,5mm): reduces hissing, but still a tiny bit left

Azla Azel (3,5mm): Tighter bass, bigger soundstage in depth and width (matches well with the DX160) (rank up from C+ to B)

TFZ No.3 (3,5mm): Tighter bass, bigger soundstage in depth and width (matches well with the DX160) (rank up from C to C+)

Final Audio E1000 (3,5mm): Tighter bass, bigger soundstage in depth and widht but reduced clarity in the treble that makes the overall SQ a bit lower (Rank down from C+ to C)

Tin Hifi T3 (3,5mm): Reduced details, which was its biggest selling point and still sounds unnatural (rank down from C to C-)

Overall: the DX160 makes the sound warmer, tighter bass, less treble peaks (although at the cost of treble extension), with a bigger soundstage (especially in depth) and more fun sounding. While removing the analytical nature of the M11 but it loses out some details due to that, especially in the treble.

I think that the reason why I think the timbre sounds better in the LZ A6 and the Shuoer Tape is because the lesser treble extension makes it so that their drivers (magnetostat in the tape and Piezo in the A6) dont "work" as much as before.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #4,207 of 6,983
Here are my findings about the difference between the Fiio M11 and the Ibasso DX160.

Moondrop Blessing 2: sounds warmer and less analytical, making it more enjoyable for me.

Tin Hifi P1: removes the occassional slight treble peaks (No Treble "peakiness" from 9 to 10)

Shuoer Tape (oratory1990 EQ Preset): ..somehow it has a more natural timbre??? (Timbre from 5 to 6)

Urbanfun ISS014: polished away some very tiny treble peaks (No Treble "peakiness" from 7 to 8)

Sony XBA-A2: Tighter bass, bigger soundstage in depth and width (Bass tightness from 5 to 6)

Final Audio E5000 (high gain): tighter bass and a bit faster bass, which I like (matches really well with the DX160) (Bass tightness from 3 to 5, Bass speed from 2 to 3)

Blon Bl-03: soundstage is deeper (Soundstage from 5 to 6).

LZ A6 (pink filter): soundstage is deeper.Timbre is a bit more natural (most likely because the treble extension isnt as good as on the M11 and that is where the Piezo drivers are working in)

Shozy Form 1.1: Soundstage bigger in depth and width. A bit tighter bass (matches well with the DX160) (Soundstage from 5 to 6)

Final Audio E3000 (high gain): Soundstage bigger in depth and width. A bit tighter bass (matches well with the DX160) ( Bass tightness from 4 to 5)

Moondrop KXXS: Less analytical sounding, bigger soundstage in depth and widht, tighter bass, less treble peaks. (rank up from B to B+)

Audiosense T800 (stock + brown knowles filter): NO HISSING! Bigger soundstage

ThieAudio Voyager 3: reduces hissing, but still a tiny bit left

Azla Azel: Tighter bass, bigger soundstage in depth and width (matches well with the DX160) (rank up from C+ to B)

TFZ No.3: Tighter bass, bigger soundstage in depth and width (matches well with the DX160) (rank up from C to C+)

Final Audio E1000: Tighter bass, bigger soundstage in depth and widht but reduced clarity in the treble that makes the overall SQ a bit lower (Rank down from C+ to C)

Tin Hifi T3: Reduced details, which was its biggest selling point and still sounds unnatural (rank down from C to C-)

Overall: the DX160 makes the sound warmer, tighter bass, less treble peaks (although at the cost of treble extension), with a bigger soundstage (especially in depth) and more fun sounding. While removing the analytical nature of the M11 but it loses out some details due to that, especially in the treble.

I think that the reason why I think the timbre sounds better in the LZ A6 and the Shuoer Tape is because the lesser treble extension makes it so that their drivers (magnetostat in the tape and Piezo in the A6) dont "work" as much as before.
Thank you very much for your impressions. Exactly what I thought they would be considering M11 is more analytical. Was this from the SE or BAL output?

Jul 8, 2020 at 12:21 PM Post #4,208 of 6,983
Thank you very much for your impressions. Exactly what I thought they would be considering M11 is more analytical. Was this from the SE or BAL output?
Edited in it, applies to both the M11 and DX160.

Jul 8, 2020 at 4:22 PM Post #4,210 of 6,983
Sad that the DX160 doesnt feel as good to use compared to the M11. The buttons and especially the volume wheel feels more "mushy" and less tactile. And the CPU performance is slower by a lot. It is however lighter and more compact, so it is actually useable with one hand without feeling like you are holding a stone brick.

Jul 8, 2020 at 9:51 PM Post #4,211 of 6,983
Since there's been lots of talk about Bluetooth on the DX160, I wanted to report my findings and comparison with another DAP.

DAPs:
iBasso DX160, 2020 model
HiBy R6 Pro

Both have the latest firmware; the DX160 is also running Lurker's addition.

Player in use is, and not that it really matters, USB Audio Player Pro. Love it. Bought within minutes of trying the trial.

Bluetooth headphones:
Jabra Elite 85h, latest firmware.

This previous Sunday, my girlfriend and I were doing lots of cleaning around the house. What better time to put on the headphones and give Bluetooth a test!

I found that I could easily roam around in a 12 foot x 14 foot room, with either player located at one end of the room and me roaming around within. Zero disconnects with either DAP. Go outside of the room, leaving the DAP(s) at the same location and through two walls, no cutouts. I head to the kitchen, which is one wall in between and approximately 25 feet and there is some stuttering, but both DAPs ultimately recover even when I have not shortened the distance.

Overall, I'm extremely satisfied with both the DX160 2020 and the HiBy R6 Pro. I do wish the DX160 had better tactile feeling for the buttons and volume control, but then I'm comparing it to the R6 Pro which has really clicky buttons...and I like super clicky...lots of feedback.

Oh, BTW, both of them handled pocket use with the same Bluetooth headphones without a problem

Jul 9, 2020 at 5:15 PM Post #4,213 of 6,983
Apologies for the double post, but I'm loving this already.

Being able to restore my Google Play purchases means full access to customization options such as Nova Launcher Prime, and KLWP.

Here's a quick little home screen I knocked together. Regardless of what app is playing music, the album art is displayed on the little disc that spins, and the background shows a blurred version. I love little aesthetic tweaks like this.DSC04678.jpgDSC04681.jpg
These look great! Any chance you could post the settings or explain how you setup Nova Launcher Prime, and KLWP? Thanks!

Jul 9, 2020 at 8:50 PM Post #4,214 of 6,983
Since there's been lots of talk about Bluetooth on the DX160, I wanted to report my findings and comparison with another DAP.

DAPs:
iBasso DX160, 2020 model
HiBy R6 Pro

Both have the latest firmware; the DX160 is also running Lurker's addition.

Player in use is, and not that it really matters, USB Audio Player Pro. Love it. Bought within minutes of trying the trial.

Bluetooth headphones:
Jabra Elite 85h, latest firmware.

This previous Sunday, my girlfriend and I were doing lots of cleaning around the house. What better time to put on the headphones and give Bluetooth a test!

I found that I could easily roam around in a 12 foot x 14 foot room, with either player located at one end of the room and me roaming around within. Zero disconnects with either DAP. Go outside of the room, leaving the DAP(s) at the same location and through two walls, no cutouts. I head to the kitchen, which is one wall in between and approximately 25 feet and there is some stuttering, but both DAPs ultimately recover even when I have not shortened the distance.

Overall, I'm extremely satisfied with both the DX160 2020 and the HiBy R6 Pro. I do wish the DX160 had better tactile feeling for the buttons and volume control, but then I'm comparing it to the R6 Pro which has really clicky buttons...and I like super clicky...lots of feedback.

Oh, BTW, both of them handled pocket use with the same Bluetooth headphones without a problem
Can you share ur findins regarding the sq and soumd signature between both these dap

Jul 10, 2020 at 3:45 AM Post #4,215 of 6,983
These look great! Any chance you could post the settings or explain how you setup Nova Launcher Prime, and KLWP? Thanks!
Yes it would be great!!! 👍🏻

Users who are viewing this thread

Back