iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
May 27, 2020 at 10:18 AM Post #3,707 of 6,983
I don't use Spotify, but I do use Tidal from time to time. No problems here though. The only thing I can think of is perhaps you may be having issues with your Wi-Fi. A similar problem happened to me in the past where it would pause, but it was due to my poor Wi-Fi signal going in and out. I ended up having to get a new router.

Thanks for your reply,but I think my situation is not about the WiFi , because I turn on the airplane mode to listen the downloaded list still have the randomly pausing problem.
Hope Spotify next update can solve.

May 27, 2020 at 11:43 AM Post #3,709 of 6,983
Happy to join the Head-fi community, starting with DX160 (2020 version, silver) which I received a few days ago. I've read more or less this thread though, while deciding on which DAP to buy and while waiting for ages for it to arrive :D Anyhow, I've familiarized myself with it in the past few days. So far using it with Ikko OH1 and it sounds real nice. Frankly I don't have much to compare, my previous DAP (if you want to call it that) was Creative Zen something from 10 years ago with some crappy earbuds. And I never really got into using smartphone for music. So for the near future, I will just enjoy the portable music and then at some point I will most likely go down some IEM rabbit hole, I've got some ideas already.

Since I don't have a proper library of high res audio files (I do have a surprisingly good CD collection from the 90s and early 00s that I could convert to FLACs I suppose, but maybe a better idea to build something new), so I also had to make a decision about a streaming service to commit to. In my case it's Soundcloud (go+) for now, since I delve more or less in genres such as goa trance, tech house, psybient etc. and their paid subscription also seemed to have a bunch of my favorite bands from rock/prog and such, and their offline downloads work great. Not sure if their varying audio quality becomes an issue, but I will also be keeping my eyes open on some high quality audio and how it affects my enjoyment. Frankly I have marinated my ears with a fair amount of techno parties and psy festivals for 20 years without ear protection, that I'm not really sure if I even pick up the nuances.

But back to this DX160, I guess much of the good stuff has been said, so I'll just touch on couple of points that come up regularly in the thread. The battery life is decent enough, but boy does that A&K SR25 battery life look enticing with some 20+ hrs. Good thing I found another charger for my Samsung phone, so I can just dedicate the S7 quick charger for DX160.

My home WiFi has been absolutely flawless (queue George Michael and knock on wood) with DX160 so far. Bluetooth range is crap, but the bluetooth connection itself seems "serviceable" if you adjust to its shortcomings. In fact I just went jogging today with DX160 + BT earbuds, and it was quite enjoyable. My first try was riddled with BT stuttering so I did three changes: 1) listened to Soundcloud offline (some Depeche Mode) instead of some FLAC file; 2) manually put the device to sleep mode for the run; 3) had my DX160 in right pants pocket instead of the left one. The first 10 minutes of my run was without any audio interruptions in BT and this was in an urban environment with lots of houses and people going past. Some of the stuttering came back when I tried the left pocket again for testing purposes, but all in all I'm thinking this can be done without issues on a regular basis. And in "less extreme" use of BT it's been ok so far.

Already looking forward to see what Ibasso has in store after "the MAX".
Here's my setup for now:

pqCtPw6.png

Last edited:
May 27, 2020 at 1:46 PM Post #3,710 of 6,983
Happy to join the Head-fi community, starting with DX160 (2020 version, silver) which I received a few days ago. I've read more or less this thread though, while deciding on which DAP to buy and while waiting for ages for it to arrive :D Anyhow, I've familiarized myself with it in the past few days. So far using it with Ikko OH1 and it sounds real nice. Frankly I don't have much to compare, my previous DAP (if you want to call it that) was Creative Zen something from 10 years ago with some crappy earbuds. And I never really got into using smartphone for music. So for the near future, I will just enjoy the portable music and then at some point I will most likely go down some IEM rabbit hole, I've got some ideas already.

Since I don't have a proper library of high res audio files (I do have a surprisingly good CD collection from the 90s and early 00s that I could convert to FLACs I suppose, but maybe a better idea to build something new), so I also had to make a decision about a streaming service to commit to. In my case it's Soundcloud (go+) for now, since I delve more or less in genres such as goa trance, tech house, psybient etc. and their paid subscription also seemed to have a bunch of my favorite bands from rock/prog and such, and their offline downloads work great. Not sure if their varying audio quality becomes an issue, but I will also be keeping my eyes open on some high quality audio and how it affects my enjoyment. Frankly I have marinated my ears with a fair amount of techno parties and psy festivals for 20 years without ear protection, that I'm not really sure if I even pick up the nuances.

But back to this DX160, I guess much of the good stuff has been said, so I'll just touch on couple of points that come up regularly in the thread. The battery life is decent enough, but boy does that A&K SR25 battery life look enticing with some 20+ hrs. Good thing I found another charger for my Samsung phone, so I can just dedicate the S7 quick charger for DX160.

My home WiFi has been absolutely flawless (queue George Michael and knock on wood) with DX160 so far. Bluetooth range is crap, but the bluetooth connection itself seems "serviceable" if you adjust to its shortcomings. In fact I just went jogging today with DX160 + BT earbuds, and it was quite enjoyable. My first try was riddled with BT stuttering so I did three changes: 1) listened to Soundcloud offline (Depeche mode-Violator) instead of some FLAC file; 2) manually put the device to sleep mode for the run; 3) had my DX160 in right pants pocket instead of the left one. The first 10 minutes of my run was without any audio interruptions in BT and this was in an urban environment with lots of houses and people going past. Some of the stuttering came back when I tried the left pocket again for testing purposes, but all in all I'm thinking this can be done without issues on a regular basis.

Here's my setup for now:

pqCtPw6.png

Welcome and thanks for sharing all this!
It's nice to see you've employed a 'can do' attitude and found a way to make it work well for you! Congratulations :)

May 27, 2020 at 4:46 PM Post #3,711 of 6,983

My home WiFi has been absolutely flawless (queue George Michael and knock on wood) with DX160 so far. Bluetooth range is crap, but the bluetooth connection itself seems "serviceable" if you adjust to its shortcomings. In fact I just went jogging today with DX160 + BT earbuds, and it was quite enjoyable. My first try was riddled with BT stuttering so I did three changes: 1) listened to Soundcloud offline (Depeche mode-Violator) instead of some FLAC file; 2) manually put the device to sleep mode for the run; 3) had my DX160 in right pants pocket instead of the left one. The first 10 minutes of my run was without any audio interruptions in BT and this was in an urban environment with lots of houses and people going past. Some of the stuttering came back when I tried the left pocket again for testing purposes, but all in all I'm thinking this can be done without issues on a regular basis.

Here's my setup for now:

pqCtPw6.png
hi, where you bought the 2020 version in Europe? thank you

May 27, 2020 at 6:20 PM Post #3,712 of 6,983
Does anyone have Spotify problem on DX160?
No matter on streaming or downloaded content, Spotify keep randomly pausing.
Try reinstall the app/ clear app cache / turn off the battery optimization option,but nothing can help.

If battery saver mode is on, try turning it off. Also, try excluding Spotify from android's doze:

Open the Settings app on your DAP
2. Tap Battery.
3. Tap the menu button and choose “Battery optimization.”
4. Tap the dropdown menu at the top of the screen and select “All apps.”
5. Scroll down to Spotify - tap it and select "Don't Optimize"

This will also fix Mango player "stops scanning" issues when the screen turns off and more

Last edited:
May 27, 2020 at 11:04 PM Post #3,713 of 6,983
hi, where you bought the 2020 version in Europe? thank you

Hi, I actually ordered mine from China, so I don't have a European purchase for reference. If you google for it with "ibasso dx160 2020 price europe", there's at least a German store, and you could also ask Amp3 (advancedmp3players) in mail if their version is 2020. Maybe some one else can give you a more direct recommendation.

May 28, 2020 at 2:10 AM Post #3,715 of 6,983
If battery saver mode is on, try turning it off. Also, try excluding Spotify from android's doze:

Open the Settings app on your DAP
2. Tap Battery.
3. Tap the menu button and choose “Battery optimization.”
4. Tap the dropdown menu at the top of the screen and select “All apps.”
5. Scroll down to Spotify - tap it and select "Don't Optimize"

This will also fix Mango player "stops scanning" issues when the screen turns off and more

Thanks , I will try and see if the problem is solve.

May 28, 2020 at 2:18 AM Post #3,716 of 6,983
Hmm...I wonder if there's anyone who can make a custom made case for the DX160 🤔

probably a lot of people who can on etsy depending on materials you want etc...

earphonia had an article about this leatherworker a while ago, has made DAP cases (inc dx150 and 200) & takes custom orders afaik https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/VALENTINUM

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back