iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
May 28, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #3,721 of 6,983
Hello, somebody can tell me why people could want 2020 version of dx160 if ibasso changed really good sharp display in original dx160 to some downgraded JDI with poor color.
Original diplay was really good, it was one of attraction of this DAP, but now i am thinking is it worth to buy it with this downgraded display. And other "upgrades" i don't know if worth anything. Display is the main thing you see all the time. I feel disappointed because i am unable to buy 2019 version anymore. Perhaps there is somewhere left 2019 version but i guess there isn't.

May 28, 2020 at 2:27 PM Post #3,722 of 6,983
hi, where you bought the 2020 version in Europe? thank you
AdvancedMP3Players.co.uk have the 2020 version in stock and ship throughout Europe, if you google for discount codes it can be yours for around € 350,00 excl. shipping

May 28, 2020 at 2:34 PM Post #3,723 of 6,983
Hello, somebody can tell me why people could want 2020 version of dx160 if ibasso changed really good sharp display in original dx160 to some downgraded JDI with poor color.
Original diplay was really good, it was one of attraction of this DAP, but now i am thinking is it worth to buy it with this downgraded display. And other "upgrades" i don't know if worth anything. Display is the main thing you see all the time. I feel disappointed because i am unable to buy 2019 version anymore. Perhaps there is somewhere left 2019 version but i guess there isn't.
I believe Twister6 put both versions side to side and yes the 2019 screen is better, but by a margin and only noticeable when put side by side.
I don't care too much about the screen, mainly using my DAP for listening to music.....(where possible with my eyes closed :))
There must be someone here who is willing to sell his 2019 version, to buy a 2020 version her/himself for the other changes made to the 2020, as mentioned earlier in this thread.

Last edited:
May 28, 2020 at 4:45 PM Post #3,724 of 6,983
AdvancedMP3Players.co.uk have the 2020 version in stock and ship throughout Europe, if you google for discount codes it can be yours for around € 350,00 excl. shipping
Nice. Thanks

May 28, 2020 at 5:04 PM Post #3,726 of 6,983

The 2019 DX160's screen is really great, something I didnt expect from a product that is mainly used to play music. But since it is a DAP more than anything else, I value its audio prowess more than the display. Twister6 has mentioned that the new display is also really good and that the difference from the 2019 version is only noticeable if you compare it side by side with the new model. And that the 2020 version has slightly improved audio too - which I think will still be its main selling point.

May 28, 2020 at 6:08 PM Post #3,727 of 6,983

It's not a bad screen...it just doesn't have the color depth as 2019 model.
for example,one could be a VA panel (2019) and the other a TN panel(2020).

VA panels usually have better color reproduction.doesn't mean the TN is bad.

each has it's own advantages and power requirements. someone should do a test at full brightness to see which battery dies first.My bet is on 2019 running out of power first. The DAP is bright even at the lowest setting.

Like someone said. It's all about the music.

May 28, 2020 at 6:33 PM Post #3,728 of 6,983
2019 on the left, 2020 on the right.

ibasso_dx160-2020-01.jpg
ibasso_dx160-2020-02.jpg

May 28, 2020 at 7:28 PM Post #3,729 of 6,983
The screen resolution on the 2020 model is still really good. But like most have said, I wouldn't worry too much about that and be more concerned about the audio performance. Most of the time, my screen just falls to sleep anyway because I'm listening to music and using the buttons on the side. Aside from not leaving the screen on so long, I also lower the brightness to help conserve battery power. But it's up to you on why you would want a DAP in the first place.

May 29, 2020 at 1:22 AM Post #3,730 of 6,983
The screen resolution on the 2020 model is still really good. But like most have said, I wouldn't worry too much about that and be more concerned about the audio performance. Most of the time, my screen just falls to sleep anyway because I'm listening to music and using the buttons on the side. Aside from not leaving the screen on so long, I also lower the brightness to help conserve battery power. But it's up to you on why you would want a DAP in the first place.

I've actually considered getting a tablet with TOTL resolution quality and colors so that I could look at pretty pictures in all their glory :) (and portable too). But yeah, that's kind of a different piece of equipment...though I do like watching the screen, "even" on my 2020 version, but my brightness is set at 50% to save some battery where it would otherwise be at 80% or something like that.

May 29, 2020 at 3:40 AM Post #3,731 of 6,983
I believe Twister6 put both versions side to side and yes the 2019 screen is better, but by a margin and only noticeable when put side by side.
I don't care too much about the screen, mainly using my DAP for listening to music.....(where possible with my eyes closed :))
There must be someone here who is willing to sell his 2019 version, to buy a 2020 version her/himself for the other changes made to the 2020, as mentioned earlier in this thread.
Thank, perhaps there is the way to get 2019 version, ofcourse in audio Daps screen isn't the main thing but still, when you get worse than original then naturaly i feel a little bit disappointed.
What happened to sharp dispaly suppliers and is it related to current corona situation i dont know but this is a factor i should include in my decision for buying this nice dap. Other than dx160 i see real contender only r6pro in this price. But as there isn't possibility to listen both, then seems that dx160 takes a lead. Sold my m11 as it has a little too technically good but too dry and emontionless sound for my liking. So hope dx160 different in this department.

May 29, 2020 at 3:54 AM Post #3,732 of 6,983
The 2019 DX160's screen is really great, something I didnt expect from a product that is mainly used to play music. But since it is a DAP more than anything else, I value its audio prowess more than the display. Twister6 has mentioned that the new display is also really good and that the difference from the 2019 version is only noticeable if you compare it side by side with the new model. And that the 2020 version has slightly improved audio too - which I think will still be its main selling point.
Perhaps you are right when you will not have possibility to compare side by side there is something you even can't notice. I noticed it with tv comparing side by side. Ofcourse if 2020 is TN IPS and 2019 is VA technology (that i dont know) there should be differences as VA as mentioned there is superior technology except it usually has worse viewing angle. As i have seen 2019 version which made very good impresion and will be able to look to 2020 version soon i will try to compare. But possibly without side by side i will be happy with 2020 version. Any way too much concentration to the screen isn't worth as audio is still comes first.

May 29, 2020 at 5:20 AM Post #3,733 of 6,983
Does anyone know how to listen to youtube music without watching the video? I use Youtube to listen to concerts without watching video and want the DX160 save battery by disabling the screen rendering. Similar how to listen to the Youtube on an iPad/iPhone on the screen lock?

I found a Chrome extension that limits downloading to audio only, but screen is not disabled?
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/audio-only-youtube/pkocpiliahoaohbolmkelakpiphnllog

Does anyone have any ideas?

A tip for the users where WIFI reception is not great. I have proper WIFI in my office for all my devices except the DX160. My solution is to turn my laptop, which has a wired internet connection, in a mobile hotspot. With the DX160 near my laptop I now have good WIFI.

By the way, I am unable to remove the "All music" option from the Navigation bar in the Mango player, i can remove the other types like Album or Genre, is that normal? I only need Artist.

Last edited:
May 29, 2020 at 7:04 AM Post #3,734 of 6,983
Does anyone know how to listen to youtube music without watching the video? I use Youtube to listen to concerts without watching video and want the DX160 save battery by disabling the screen rendering. Similar how to listen to the Youtube on an iPad/iPhone on the screen lock?

I found a Chrome extension that limits downloading to audio only, but screen is not disabled?
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/audio-only-youtube/pkocpiliahoaohbolmkelakpiphnllog

Does anyone have any ideas?

A tip for the users where WIFI reception is not great. I have proper WIFI in my office for all my devices except the DX160. My solution is to turn my laptop, which has a wired internet connection, in a mobile hotspot. With the DX160 near my laptop I now have good WIFI.

By the way, I am unable to remove the "All music" option from the Navigation bar in the Mango player, i can remove the other types like Album or Genre, is that normal? I only need Artist.
have you tried New Pipe?

May 29, 2020 at 9:00 AM Post #3,735 of 6,983
Sorry. I have Win10x64 1909 and iBasso DX160 2019
I understand that it looks weird, but I don't want to lie =)
I can repeat my actions:
1) I downloaded and installed the drivers from the iVasso website;
2) Installation was successful and the BRAVO-HD Audio CPL shortcut appeared;
3) I connected my DX160 and activated the DAC mode in Mango Player;
4) My PC detected a device, but with an error in the Device Manager;
5) I wrote to my friend who also has DX160 2019, he said that he has the same problem, he tried for a very long time to solve the problem with connecting the player to the PC. He said that the device is detected without errors only if you disable the mandatory driver signature in Windows (he spent the whole day figuring it out!)
6) I disabled the mandatory driver check on my pc, connected the player again and it connected without errors! I was very happy!
7) When I turned on the music and plugged in my headphones, I heard a terrible sound, a cacophony that attacked my ears!
8) I wrote about this to my friend, he answered me that he also has a problem that we do not know how to solve.
Yes, this sound is not just bad or distorted, it is generally terrible, not a single person can listen to it. I suspect that there is a problem in the software or drivers ...
You need to select the sound speaker icon and select capabilities of dac by selecting advanced then default format
Select maybe 24bit 192khz
See if that helps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back