iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Nov 2, 2022 at 9:11 PM Post #6,721 of 6,983
OK I don't understand why a 400 dollar dap can't connect to ldac high quality 990k and the best effort is 660k while the hiby r3 pro saber which is half the price can handle it like a champ... Every time I bump the dx160 to 990k audio quality it's so choppy and there isn't wifi on or other devices interference. I locked myself in a room... Me and the dap and it's so choppy
I think that what most people don't see (or maybe they do and don't care much) is that iBasso focused on sound more than anything else on this DAP, therefore cut some hardware corners to achieve this. As for the sound, it is my opinion that it punches in much higher than the $400 price-tag. As for LDAC high quality, I don't think it is interference. I think it is a combination of poor connectivity (biggest factor), CPU speed, and very low amount of RAM. It's not that the BT chip is bad or anything like that. It was a very poorly implemented antenna. This is why they were never able to fix it with FW updates (though iBasso would never admit to there being any hardware limitations). The DX170 fixes all of this, from what I have read.

Having said that, I will have to agree that the BT and WiFi on this device are pretty sub-par IMO. Of course I don't really care, because I bought it purely for the size and pure sound. It is really not too far off from their flagship models as far as sound is concerned (again, IMO). It may not be AS good of a value now as it was in 2019, but back then, it was considered the king of its price class.

If you need better WiFi and BT, you might spend the extra $50 and get the upgraded DX170. Just my thoughts, of course.

Nov 2, 2022 at 9:15 PM Post #6,722 of 6,983
I think that what most people don't see (or maybe they do and don't care much) is that iBasso focused on sound more than anything else on this DAP, therefore cut some hardware corners to achieve this. As for the sound, it is my opinion that it punches in much higher than the $400 price-tag. As for LDAC high quality, I don't think it is interference. I think it is a combination of poor connectivity (biggest factor), CPU speed, and very low amount of RAM. It's not that the BT chip is bad or anything like that. It was a very poorly implemented antenna. This is why they were never able to fix it with FW updates (though iBasso would never admit to there being any hardware limitations). The DX170 fixes all of this, from what I have read.

Having said that, I will have to agree that the BT and WiFi on this device are pretty sub-par IMO. Of course I don't really care, because I bought it purely for the size and pure sound. It is really not too far off from their flagship models as far as sound is concerned (again, IMO). It may not be AS good of a value now as it was in 2019, but back then, it was considered the king of its price class.

If you need better WiFi and BT, you might spend the extra $50 and get the upgraded DX170. Just my thoughts, of course.
Its the processor. I upgraded the antenna on mine and ldac is still stuttering at 990.

WiFi range is doubled tho.

Nov 2, 2022 at 9:42 PM Post #6,723 of 6,983
Its the processor. I upgraded the antenna on mine and ldac is still stuttering at 990.

WiFi range is doubled tho.
I stand corrected and am glad that you have experimented to find this out. Thanks!

Though, my Samsung Note 9 also does this, even though the CPU, antenna, and RAM are exceptional... Having seen you say that, I wonder if the implementation of the codec and/or the version of android might also play a role here???

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2022 at 10:51 PM Post #6,724 of 6,983
I stand corrected and am glad that you have experimented to find this out. Thanks!

Though, my Samsung Note 9 also does this, even though the CPU, antenna, and RAM are exceptional... Having seen you say that, I wonder if the implementation of the codec and/or the version of android might also play a role here???
Will have to try that. I don't use my phone for music.

Will update you when I try it.

Nov 3, 2022 at 1:42 PM Post #6,725 of 6,983
My lg g8x and redmagic 6r does ldac at 990k with no connection chop. I just gave up on bt with the dx160 but I tend to use bt when I'm out and about and when headed to work since I don't want to deal with a cable and only take out the hifimans when I'm at home. I wanted to convert the TINHiFi t2 pluses to Bluetooth but I guess I'll keep them cabled for now until I decide to upgrade the dap

Nov 4, 2022 at 11:17 PM Post #6,726 of 6,983
1667618069900.png

Anyone else continuing to have issues with a black screen on start up? I have been fighting with this issue along with Tidal playback issues for nearly a year now. I have used the Android Tool to wipe the internal memory then try fresh installs then update from a fresh install and all sorts of other troubleshooting/reset permutations with no luck. Is this just my unit which at this point i'm assuming is defective in some way?

Nov 6, 2022 at 10:41 PM Post #6,729 of 6,983

Eh I'm going with the hiby r6 new edition. It's time for an upgrade anyway

Nov 12, 2022 at 7:11 AM Post #6,730 of 6,983
I recently received an answer from Paul@iBasso to the question of whether security updates are still being added to the DX160 firmware with Android 8.1. The answer:

At this time there are no plans for further updates. I realise you would like to see more than this but we only have so much time to work on all the firmwares and software.

It's a pity really, since many DX160 users also use this device online via streaming.

Nov 12, 2022 at 7:52 AM Post #6,732 of 6,983
I was head over heels when I first bought it. But recently I find myself using the ifs hip dac more (with my phone). Maybe I'm hearing things but I sounds as good or even better at times. A shame, I really liked the idea of a stand alone music player for concentrated listening. It will probably end up in my museum of old electronics (i.e a drawer in my nightstand)

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2022 at 5:47 PM Post #6,734 of 6,983
I still daily mine in mango mode. 3.5mm jack in need of repairs though as it cuts out sometimes.
Similar for me. I always use it for locally stored music on a 512GB uSD card, and wired IEMs as well. Neutron is my preferred player now, but I also use GoneMAD when I’m more casually browsing since it has a better UI.

That was always the purpose since the beginning for me. No Bluetooth, no streaming apps. So I’ve had no issues using my DX160 since Day 1. Still the best player I’ve ever had, even over my LG G8 with the Quad DAC and iPhone 12.

Nov 12, 2022 at 9:27 PM Post #6,735 of 6,983
I have been successfully using spotify and UAPP/ Neutron for local files and files on a media server.
The device is still going strong except of course for the battery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back