iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Feb 20, 2020 at 11:58 AM Post #2,761 of 6,983
Wrong assumption, based on nothing.

So, are you saying that Mango player DOES play bit-perfect?

Sure it does. Why do you doubt it?

I know it does, I wasn't doubting that it plays DSD natively. I was making known my doubt of the assumption that Mango was not bit-perfect with the reason why I was doubting it. Maybe that paragraph wasn't too clear with the context.

Anyhow, I installed your "add-on", and really like it. Great job!

Feb 20, 2020 at 12:59 PM Post #2,762 of 6,983
@Paul - iBasso , would you happen to have a thought on these points?:

i love my DX160 with almost no reservation....except:
1. when playing Tidal Masters it always displays a resolution of 176.4MHz or similar, equivalent to a 4x unfold, while my MQA-capable desktop DAC clearly shows that most of these files don't have that resolution. Is it oversampling or displaying the wrong info? I strongly suspect that if it were MQA-certified (which it is not (yet?)) then it would display and behave correctly. (I'm not saying this is audible :wink: but it bothers me, tbh.)
2. will it ever be MQA-certified?
3. it's still not on http://ibasso.com/ ***! :wink:

And, for the record, i exclusively stream (obviously, given the above questions) and have not had a single WiFi issue or drop-out. (Don't use Blueooth.)

Feb 20, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #2,763 of 6,983
So, are you saying that Mango player DOES play bit-perfect?
Yes. By the way, you can read a few pages before my post explaining different audio paths in DX160 (also applicable to other Android-based iBasso DAPs) used by different software players, including both versions of Mango.

Feb 20, 2020 at 1:13 PM Post #2,764 of 6,983
Yes. By the way, you can read a few pages before my post explaining different audio paths in DX160 (also applicable to other Android-based iBasso DAPs) used by different software players, including both versions of Mango.

Gotcha'! 24 pages back to be precise. Thanks for pointing that out. This page.

Feb 20, 2020 at 4:11 PM Post #2,765 of 6,983
A similae issue can be experienced with the 4.4mm pentaconn port. I have a 2.5mm balanced to 4.4mm balanced adapter that you cant fully plug in since it will cause distortion. Tho according to ibasso it most likely because I got an adapter with a regular 4.4mm design and it is not real pentaconn

I had a similar problem with a FiiO 4.4 male to 2.5mm female adapter. If pushed all the way in the audio was very faint. I made a spacer for it so it would not go all the way in and it worked fine, Thinking it may be the adapter I ordered the iBasso CA02 adapter and had the same issue. I had to use the spacers included so that the 4.4mm plug did not get fully inserted.

Feb 20, 2020 at 4:15 PM Post #2,766 of 6,983
I had a similar problem with a FiiO 4.4 male to 2.5mm female adapter. If pushed all the way in the audio was very faint. I made a spacer for it so it would not go all the way in and it worked fine, Thinking it may be the adapter I ordered the iBasso CA02 adapter and had the same issue. I had to use the spacers included so that the 4.4mm plug did not get fully inserted.

What materials did you use for the spacers?

Feb 20, 2020 at 4:21 PM Post #2,767 of 6,983
What materials did you use for the spacers?

When I first got mine, before just buying a cable with 4.4mm, I would use keyboard O-rings (pictured here). Though, you could also prolly just cut out the core from some cheapo eartips for IEMs and use that too.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2020 at 5:12 PM Post #2,770 of 6,983
What Im curious to know is if the dx160 plays at bit perfect using the mango player?
I wonder that too, but since it doesn't seem to be indicated anywhere from iBasso, or any search that I have done, I would assume Mango player is NOT bit-perfect.. I have read that UAPP, Netron, and Poweramp are (and maybe others that I am not aware of), but not a word about the in-built Mango player... Also I wonder if the Lurker add-on Mango OS mode is bit perfect or not?!

The only thing that makes me doubt what I just said above is that if the Mango player is capable of playing DSD natively (hardware based, rather than software based), then surely it is bypassing the in-built android driver?! I just dunno'.... :)

I believe it plays bit perfect.i do not hear sonic differences vs UAPP. Lurkers bit perfected Hiby app also plays bit-perfect and has more depth to my ears.same width as the others.

Feb 20, 2020 at 5:16 PM Post #2,771 of 6,983
Does anyone know how to get out of Mango OS mode (Lurker Add-on)? I don't see anywhere to do that, and I don't see it in the readme...

Edit: Nm, I found it under advanced. I just didn't see it because Mango OS is VERY slow (on the DX160) when trying to scroll down, and since it didn't move the first time I tried to swipe down, I assumed there were not more options, and left the advanced tab...

under settings, the advanced tab I believe all the way down....TAP "To android"... I'm on Fidelizer ROM now and I find it sonically better with no bugs.picking up extra details

Feb 20, 2020 at 5:19 PM Post #2,772 of 6,983
I believe it plays bit perfect.i do not hear sonic differences vs UAPP. Lurkers bit perfected Hiby app also plays bit-perfect and has more depth to my ears.same width as the others.

Ahh, I haven't tried the Hiby app yet. Will give it a listen. I have so many music apps, still haven't settled on one in particular, though I am leaning more and more towards UAPP, because I can listen to my local library, Tidal (subscriber), and GPM (also subscribed...….. for now) all from the same app. :)

Speaking of UAPP, I asked the dev about maybe integrating Amazon HD (also subscribed hehe), but he said that it does not have a public API, and could not happen.

I'm on Fidelizer ROM now and I find it sonically better with no bugs.picking up extra details

Is this an ABD install, like most android devices? I may check it out. I don't find any deal breaking bugs with the DX as it currently is, but I like to tinker.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2020 at 9:01 AM Post #2,773 of 6,983
Good to hear.I think that fix is worth it. It'll save us a bunch of reboots.
Only two "likes" under my post about the fix mean not so much people actually face this problem. Let's see how many people use Mango OS at all...

Add-on 1.26b3 for firmware 1.04.150 has solved both major problems with Mango OS player:
  • If you put on Pause during PCM playback for more than a minute, resuming playback produces silence.
  • After playing DSD files, PCM files don't produce sound.
If you are already running 1.26b2, just download the new package and flash it over, as usual. No other user visible changes were made in 1.26b3, compared to 1.26b2.

Feb 21, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #2,774 of 6,983
Asked ibasso directly and they said that the mango player plays bit perfect. And saw lurker's explanation on audio paths within dx160.. thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back