iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Feb 18, 2020 at 8:21 AM Post #2,746 of 6,983
I was using the 4.4 balanced cable all along. And now the cable one side is faulty. Need to send for check. So I switched to 3.5mm. But for 3.5mm if inserted fully, I can only hear music and a faint vocal. If I pull out the jack out a bit then it's normal sound and I can hear the vocal. This happens to a few earphones that I tried including my KX ZSX with stock cables. I remembered that when I tested the unit it was working fine when fully inserted. I don't mind it protruding out a little but it's not tight. Anyone had the same issue and what's the work around?

Tried to do a factory reset but its the same. And after doing factory reset the playstore is missing but with APKPure and CoolApk added. Firmware after factory reset is at the latest 1.04.150

This is because the DX160 uses the international configuration of the 3.5mm port (OMTP). If you are using any headphones from the US that have the mic/controls on them, they will have the (CTIA) configurations. You will need to buy something like THIS.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2020 at 9:43 AM Post #2,747 of 6,983
A similae issue can be experienced with the 4.4mm pentaconn port. I have a 2.5mm balanced to 4.4mm balanced adapter that you cant fully plug in since it will cause distortion. Tho according to ibasso it most likely because I got an adapter with a regular 4.4mm design and it is not real pentaconn

Feb 18, 2020 at 10:02 AM Post #2,748 of 6,983
A similae issue can be experienced with the 4.4mm pentaconn port. I have a 2.5mm balanced to 4.4mm balanced adapter that you cant fully plug in since it will cause distortion. Tho according to ibasso it most likely because I got an adapter with a regular 4.4mm design and it is not real pentaconn

That's interesting to know. I can't speak to that one at all, because when I use balanced, I have replaced all my cables to custom so that I don't need an adaptor. Those of my headphones that don't have a replaceable cable probably wouldn't benefit from using balanced port anyhow. But, I will keep that in mind for future if I DO decide to buy an adaptor..... Pentaconn adaptor only... check!

Feb 18, 2020 at 10:35 AM Post #2,749 of 6,983
That's interesting to know. I can't speak to that one at all, because when I use balanced, I have replaced all my cables to custom so that I don't need an adaptor. Those of my headphones that don't have a replaceable cable probably wouldn't benefit from using balanced port anyhow. But, I will keep that in mind for future if I DO decide to buy an adaptor..... Pentaconn adaptor only... check!

I just feel a click evrytime I connect the adapter, thats how I know that I got it right. I cant fully plug the adapter because it causes distortion. Its fine by me since it still locks to a certain position but Im curious of the difference of a regular 4.4mm balanced plug against a 4.4mm pentaconn plug

Feb 18, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #2,750 of 6,983
I just feel a click evrytime I connect the adapter, thats how I know that I got it right. I cant fully plug the adapter because it causes distortion. Its fine by me since it still locks to a certain position but Im curious of the difference of a regular 4.4mm balanced plug against a 4.4mm pentaconn plug

Maybe it is like the difference between OMTP and CTIA (though you don't have mic on balanced). For OMTP, the TRRS plug is wired as [Left-Right-Mic-Ground] (from tip-to-sleeve); for CTIA, the TRRS is wired as [Left-Right-Ground-Mic]. I'm not even sure if this is possible. Though it is more likely that it is a faulty (cheap) plug where all 5 poles do not touch or mate with the plug of the device. Did you ask iBasso why this might happen (beyond the fact that it is not labeled "Pentaconn")?

Feb 18, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #2,751 of 6,983
Maybe it is like the difference between OMTP and CTIA (though you don't have mic on balanced). For OMTP, the TRRS plug is wired as [Left-Right-Mic-Ground] (from tip-to-sleeve); for CTIA, the TRRS is wired as [Left-Right-Ground-Mic]. I'm not even sure if this is possible. Though it is more likely that it is a faulty (cheap) plug where all 5 poles do not touch or mate with the plug of the device. Did you ask iBasso why this might happen (beyond the fact that it is not labeled "Pentaconn")?

I did ask ibasso about it and sent them photos too. Their conclusion was that I was using a generic 4.4mm balanced plug, which I am indeed using, instead of a pentaconn. Everything else is working fine on my end using that 2.5mm balanced to 4.4mm balanced adapter though.

Feb 18, 2020 at 5:39 PM Post #2,752 of 6,983
I did ask ibasso about it and sent them photos too. Their conclusion was that I was using a generic 4.4mm balanced plug, which I am indeed using, instead of a pentaconn. Everything else is working fine on my end using that 2.5mm balanced to 4.4mm balanced adapter though.

I guess I am curious if it is because it is generic (cheaply made), or is there some issue that makes a NON-Pentaconn adaptor not work?! Hmmm Guess I'll just have to make sure to get a Pentaconn adaptor instead of one that is not, if/when I ever decide to get one. Thanks for letting us know about this.

Feb 19, 2020 at 9:10 PM Post #2,753 of 6,983
Does anyone know how to get out of Mango OS mode (Lurker Add-on)? I don't see anywhere to do that, and I don't see it in the readme...

Edit: Nm, I found it under advanced. I just didn't see it because Mango OS is VERY slow (on the DX160) when trying to scroll down, and since it didn't move the first time I tried to swipe down, I assumed there were not more options, and left the advanced tab...

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2020 at 5:20 AM Post #2,754 of 6,983
Does Dx160 plays in bit perfect mode, installing Tidal app could bypass the Android upsampling?

Feb 20, 2020 at 6:57 AM Post #2,756 of 6,983
What Im curious to know is if the dx160 plays at bit perfect using the mango player?

Feb 20, 2020 at 7:11 AM Post #2,757 of 6,983
What Im curious to know is if the dx160 plays at bit perfect using the mango player?

I wonder that too, but since it doesn't seem to be indicated anywhere from iBasso, or any search that I have done, I would assume Mango player is NOT bit-perfect.. I have read that UAPP, Netron, and Poweramp are (and maybe others that I am not aware of), but not a word about the in-built Mango player... Also I wonder if the Lurker add-on Mango OS mode is bit perfect or not?!

The only thing that makes me doubt what I just said above is that if the Mango player is capable of playing DSD natively (hardware based, rather than software based), then surely it is bypassing the in-built android driver?! I just dunno'.... :)

Feb 20, 2020 at 9:07 AM Post #2,758 of 6,983

Users who are viewing this thread

Back