iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Jan 5, 2020 at 5:28 AM Post #2,131 of 6,983
Is there any news in regards to the problem with the automatic Wifi disconnect while streaming or downloading with the screen off? Someone mentioned this earlier in this thread and i have the same problem, apparently the idle states in iBasso's firmware aren't correctly defined. Wifi generally seems to be very slow, too. Otherwise imo great value for the money, the DX160 makes a really nice combo with the IER-Z1R.

Jan 5, 2020 at 8:29 AM Post #2,132 of 6,983
I want to add a little more about the bluetooth on the dx160, first of all i love the dx160 it's a fantastic sounding device for the money and kept it over the m11 as I feel the audio is far superior in every way, layering, stage, detail and of course that virtually black background. Again I will say it punches way above its price in this area and its been my go to for a few months as its light, smooth to use and streams Amazon HD great too ...........But and here's the HUGE but, the bluetooth is far worse than I thought and i thought it was bad to begin with, I very rarely if at all use bluetooth and all i have tried was my bluetooth speaker I occasionally use at work, it was completely cutting out by walking away 20 ft at most. This morning I decided to sit have a cup of coffee with my radio on which is not even 2 ft away from where I'm sitting , thought I would try the bluetooth on the dx160 and listen to some music for once, every single time I pick up the 160 or change album or track it cuts out with holding and use...I'm 2FT AWAY LOL ....I'm going to get straight to the point, I love the dx160 its fantastic and i wont be getting rid of it but to sell a dap worth about 400 dollars that does this is not great ,infact its downright poor.
Can you please check the DX160 in Bluetooth receiver mode? Does it keep connection? And most importantly can you control the volume on the phone or only on the dap? Thanks!

Jan 5, 2020 at 8:36 AM Post #2,133 of 6,983
Can you please check the DX160 in Bluetooth receiver mode? Does it keep connection? And most importantly can you control the volume on the phone or only on the dap? Thanks!

I can and will do for you but I'm probably not going to be in a position to try it until tomorrow as I'm not at home , maybe someone else can help you before hand if not il let you know tomorrow evening.

Jan 5, 2020 at 3:10 PM Post #2,134 of 6,983
Hi all, just to let you know, for any that might be interested, that I have posted my review of the DX160 here on Head-Fi :)
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/ibasso-dx160.23977/reviews#review-23101
As I mentioned in the review, I don't use streaming or Bluetooth, and would not know how to use them even if I wanted to :p
When I get a DAP, after any updates, I immediately switch off all Bluetooth, WiFi and delete/disable as many apps as I can get away with.

Essentially, I put music on a micro-SD card, plug it in, and play; and my review is written with that kind of user in mind.

So basically this preamble is just an attempt to be considerate by giving a heads-up to save people wading through it looking for info on Bluetooth, apps or streaming that isn't there.
And, hopefully, recommending it to those who like to listen as I do :)

I've compared it with 2 other DAPs and trialed it with 5 different IEMs, so it's reasonably comprehensive (and also that's why it's taken so damn long, haha)!
Anyway, it's there if you're interested. Hope you enjoy it if you are :)

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2020 at 4:00 PM Post #2,135 of 6,983
Hi all, just to let you know, for any that might be interested, that I have posted my review of the DX160 here on Head-Fi :)
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/ibasso-dx160.23977/reviews#review-23101
As I mentioned in the review, I don't use streaming or Bluetooth, and would not know how to use them even if I wanted to :p
When I get a DAP, after any updates, I immediately switch off all Bluetooth, WiFi and delete/disable as many apps as I can get away with.

Essentially, I put music on a micro-SD card, plug it in, and play; and my review is written with that kind of user in mind.

So basically this preamble is just an attempt to be considerate by giving a heads-up to save people wading through it looking for info on Bluetooth, apps or streaming that isn't there.
And, hopefully, recommending it to those who like to listen as I do :)

I've compared it with 2 other DAPs and trialed it with 5 different IEMs, so it's reasonably comprehensive (and also that's why it's taken so damn long, haha)!
Anyway, it's there if you're interested. Hope you enjoy it if you are :)

Thanks for the comprehensive review. Funny how everyone uses his device differently. I found this streaming capabilities great. And "needed" for my use.
PS... The first time i hear of a burn-in cable ghehe also my first Ibasso.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2020 at 6:30 PM Post #2,140 of 6,983
Jan 6, 2020 at 6:48 PM Post #2,142 of 6,983
My DX160 should be here tomorrow.
Is it possible to format a micro sd card with the DX160? Thanks

Yes, Android will format your SD card for you when you insert it in. You have the option of using it as a portable storage device (xFAT) or as an Android system format. I recommend using it as a portable storage so that your computer can read your sd card and makes it easier to transfer.

Jan 6, 2020 at 9:32 PM Post #2,145 of 6,983
@Paul - iBasso any tips? I would love to hear an explanation as to why this player has this WiFi noise issue. Honestly have never had a crackling issue like this even with cheap stuff... I like everything else about it; it's just that crackling when connected to WiFi is a such a disappointment. How could something that costs $400 be suffer from this so bad that I hear it with not just my more sensitive Beyerdynamic Xelentos, but my fullsize AKG K371s as well?

edit: sorry to be so harsh, but I'm pretty sure the first step when making a DAP is to make sure it's not unbearably noisy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back