iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Dec 6, 2019 at 11:19 AM Post #1,831 of 6,983
I just received the DX160 that I ordered over the weekend. The UI is very responsive indeed. But, there is a major issue. The DX160 can't get recognized by Windows 10 as a USB DAC. The DX160 has the latest firmware installed (1.02.109). The USB driver was installed on my PC successfully (digital signature turned off). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Does your Win laptop recognize DX160 as usb storage/drive to copy files to? The reason I'm saying cause it was already mentioned before by other users, myself including, that some laptops (I have Thinkpad T480s with Win10 Pro) have USB ports not fully compatible with DX160 when you use a longer usb cable. Once you switch to a shorter cable, everything works. And of course, make sure you get the latest USB DAC driver for DX160 from iBasso site http://ibasso.com/down.php since this is not your typical plug'n'play

upload_2019-12-6_11-18-47.png

Dec 6, 2019 at 11:27 AM Post #1,832 of 6,983
Thanks to everyone who provided comments and suggestions. I did watch the video.

I have already downloaded the DAC driver from iBasso site before watching the video. I turned on the DAC mode from Mango Player. I have also contacted Paul at iBasso for help. He was very responsive and he suggested downloading the USB driver as well as turning off the digital signature in Windows 10. I followed his suggestions but still couldn't get the DX160 to be recognized as a USB DAC by Win10. Although the file transfer function works okay.

With Windows, remember to look at the Sound properties and make sure that your iBasso device is recognized and selected as default audio device.

Capture.JPG

Hopefully this is the missing piece.

Dec 6, 2019 at 11:36 AM Post #1,833 of 6,983
I forgot to include this error message in my previous post. The DX160 was not recognized when in DAC mode after installing the DAC driver and PC reboot. But it was recognized as USB storage device in 'File Transfer' mode. I am using the factory USB-C cable that came with the device. I got the same error on both the laptop (Dell Latitude 5490) and a Dell desktop PC at home (Optiplex 9020). Both machines are running Windows 10.

upload_2019-12-6_10-30-11.png

Dec 6, 2019 at 11:37 AM Post #1,834 of 6,983
I forgot to include this error message in my previous post. The DX160 was not recognized when in DAC mode after installing the DAC driver and PC reboot. But it was recognized as USB storage device in 'File Transfer' mode. I am using the factory USB-C cable that came with the device. I got the same error on both the laptop (Dell Latitude 5490) and a Dell desktop PC at home (Optiplex 9020). Both machines are running Windows 10.

have you tried a different usb c cable by any chance?

Dec 6, 2019 at 12:07 PM Post #1,837 of 6,983
I do have a USB-C cable from another DAP. I can try that later in the morning.
Thanks for the advice.

Try a shorter cable, a much shorter cable :D That's exactly the problem I was facing before, though I also had issues with DX160 being recognized as external storage, until Lurker gave me a pointer to use a short usb cable which solved all these issues. It wasn't a problem with other laptops I tried, just my laptop and its usb port.

Dec 6, 2019 at 12:53 PM Post #1,840 of 6,983
I do have a USB-C cable from another DAP. I can try that later in the morning.
Thanks for the advice.
Please try a different USB Cable and different ports. Also the suggestion of a short USB C cable is good.
Sometimes the drivers can be an issue. Please uninstall any drivers and install the DX160 driver first.

edit: I see that it was the cable. I apologize for that.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Dec 7, 2019 at 3:32 AM Post #1,842 of 6,983
Does your Win laptop recognize DX160 as usb storage/drive to copy files to? The reason I'm saying cause it was already mentioned before by other users, myself including, that some laptops (I have Thinkpad T480s with Win10 Pro) have USB ports not fully compatible with DX160 when you use a longer usb cable. Once you switch to a shorter cable, everything works. And of course, make sure you get the latest USB DAC driver for DX160 from iBasso site http://ibasso.com/down.php since this is not your typical plug'n'play

I just received the DX160 that I ordered over the weekend. The UI is very responsive indeed. But, there is a major issue. The DX160 can't get recognized by Windows 10 as a USB DAC. The DX160 has the latest firmware installed (1.02.109). The USB driver was installed on my PC successfully (digital signature turned off). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Couldn't get mine to connect on Acer laptop at usb 3 port ....but it worked fine on same laptop usb2 and copied files pretty quick

Dec 7, 2019 at 9:42 AM Post #1,844 of 6,983
While searching for information in this thread regarding the USB DAC issue I had earlier, I ran into a few posts that criticized the customer support from iBasso. In all fairness I have to say I am very pleased with the support I received from iBasso. Paul at iBasso has been very responsive and helpful when I contacted him.

I also want to mention my past experience with iBasso customer service to show how far they would go in supporting their customers. I had a DX50 for several years. I used it primarily as a USB DAC at work. It worked very well for years until one day the DX50 just went kaput. It won't boot. I changed a new battery but it didn't help. I contacted iBasso and asked if they have a service center in the U.S. They said they don't. However, they said if I sent the device to them (in China) they will try to repair it. I would need to pay shipping (both way) and the costs for any replacement parts. No cost for labor. I really wanted to get that DX50 running again so I took their offer and sent the device back to China. About a month later I received an email from iBasso. They said they have fixed my DX50. There was no charge for the repair or the replacement parts. I just need to pay shipping for them to send it back to me (it was like $20 for FedEx). The DX50 arrived within one week and everything is good. It's working again.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2019 at 10:00 AM Post #1,845 of 6,983
Hi,

I'm trying to use the DX160 with my Hugo 2 via USB, When playing Tidal nothing happens. I can't get any sound when using Tidal, It seems to work OK with other streaming apps. but not Tidal. Also what type of short Coaxial cable do I need?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back