iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Dec 5, 2019 at 3:55 PM Post #1,801 of 6,983
Doing some comparisons here, and so I would like to share what I am hooking it up into, the Stax system

Dx160
Line out option from 3.5mm. The quality is even better than Dx220 and stock amp1 MKII for line out
DSD256 from Mango Player in Android OS and stock firmware

again, acting just like an analog output source that can play clean and well of DSD256 for $399 ? This performances is amazing, and for this .... it is ways worth the money alone

what I am observing is that the implementation of the DAC is excellent, the op amps in the headphones out may have something to do with why it was not on par with Dx228.... which opened up a window for possible modification for further improvements.

however, to heck with it... I rather use it alone this way and hook it Into external amps of choices
7B1F4D3B-93DA-4E2C-B9C7-57B83FDF5905.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2019 at 4:23 PM Post #1,802 of 6,983
The one thing I would like to bring to everyone attentions is that using the phone out VS line out. In my impressions and reviews, I did say that the room ambience wasn’t as well rendered as Dx220, the timbres isn’t as precise, the cymbal crashes may not be metallic enough. Well, it is solved by the Line Out.

Using Line Out from DX160 toward any external amplifier that I have, it proves to me that Ibasso did an excellent job at implementing of the Cirrus DAC IC duals on the Dx160. For any portable devices, including flagship tier. I am able to observe much of that Cirrus signature now. How is it $399 ?

I may be lucky but I have no WiFi noises or any funky problems that others may have. I would urged anyone to exchange their units if they have any problems, Ibasso has 15 days satisfaction right ?

Dec 5, 2019 at 4:39 PM Post #1,803 of 6,983
Obviously a high end smartphone will be faster... my iPhone XS Max is faster and it should
Being a high end phone has got nothing to do with network speed anything with AC should be performing way above these units do. It's poor implementation and likely cheap components and bad antenna placement. My £35 Raspberry pis performs better over WiFi and it's WiFi is not stellar.

Dec 5, 2019 at 4:44 PM Post #1,804 of 6,983
Obviously a high end smartphone will be faster... my iPhone XS Max is faster and it should
I would agree, though I have no issues with my DX160. I use it for streaming from the router about 20 or 25 feet away and through one wall. Amazon Music Ultra HD. Three bars for the Wifi out of the 4. Also when downloading the speed is pretty good. I have been using it a lot lately as a source for my electrostatic setup and it does a very fine job of that.

Dec 5, 2019 at 4:53 PM Post #1,807 of 6,983
DX220Ex - unobtainium for those who are clueless at modding XD
Shhh! There will be 100 units of Amp8EX by Ibasso out and about soon.....and we may be able to demand the DX220EX too! When we can’t get enough of the satisfaction with only the module :wink:

oh and you are 1 of those 100 too!!

300 is old news!!!

Dec 5, 2019 at 5:16 PM Post #1,808 of 6,983
As impressive as Dx160, though my ultimate choice would still be Dx228ex over many things

And that’s before you mod the upcoming DX220 Max :p

In the meantime the value for money of DX160 is quite incredible...

Being a high end phone has got nothing to do with network speed anything with AC should be performing way above these units do. It's poor implementation and likely cheap components and bad antenna placement. My £35 Raspberry pis performs better over WiFi and it's WiFi is not stellar.

Yeah it does have something to do, the chips in a high end smartphone are top of the shelf and design wise audio quality does not take priority over anything network. As usual a matter of balance between priority and given the budget of the DX160 it works just as good if not better than DAP 3x the price in my experience.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2019 at 5:20 PM Post #1,810 of 6,983
incredible and ... how is it possible ? $399 ? I always ask that question when I listen to dx160

On the flipside this is food for thoughts at the price some DAPs cost...

Dec 5, 2019 at 5:24 PM Post #1,811 of 6,983
incredible and ... how is it possible ? $399 ? I always ask that question when I listen to dx160
Because they use cheap ass crap components, an ancient CPU and a lot of plastic. The whole package is cheap because it is. Nothing premium about it at all from experience.

Dec 5, 2019 at 5:29 PM Post #1,813 of 6,983
Because they use cheap ass crap components, an ancient CPU and a lot of plastic. The whole package is cheap because it is. Nothing premium about it at all from experience.
You are either trolling now or just joking. I suppose joking, since there is little plastic in the DX160, one of the latest Sharp screens, Gorilla glass, good dacs and excellent sound. And I get very fast response with the CPU used. Anyway, some might take you seriously but obviously, you are not.

Dec 5, 2019 at 5:40 PM Post #1,814 of 6,983
Not trolling giving you my first hand experience with it. It felt cheap and plasticky. It got incredibly slow switching apps, could not download music consistently or in a decent amount of time. It sounded ok but not amazing as you all make out. Sorry I'm not an iBasso fanboy but I expect something more for my money and it to work out of the box. This product did not. It's my first and last product I will buy of theirs. I shall leave this thread now as no point my lingering as it's obvious you want to bury your heads in the sand about this model having some significant issues.

Dec 5, 2019 at 5:44 PM Post #1,815 of 6,983
Not trolling giving you my first hand experience with it. It felt cheap and plasticky. It got incredibly slow switching apps, could not download music consistently or in a decent amount of time. It sounded ok but not amazing as you all make out. Sorry I'm not an iBasso fanboy but I expect something more for my money and it to work out of the box. This product did not. It's my first and last product I will buy of theirs. I shall leave this thread now as no point my lingering as it's obvious you want to bury your heads in the sand about this model having some significant issues.
Bye. Doubt you had one, as there is almost no plastic. Aluminum and tempered glass. Please go troll somewhere else, no, don't troll, it just wastes peoples time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back