iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Dec 8, 2019 at 6:42 PM Post #1,861 of 6,983
Newbie question about the DX160 and DAPs in general. I am using a pair of iBasso it01s and a Fiio BL44 4.4mm male to 2.5mm female balanced and the sound volume seems low even at maximum level. Am I missing something here? When I use the 2.5mm female to 3.5mm adapter in the line output the volume levels are fine.
I know this is probably a dumb question but thought I would ask anyway.
Some possible possibilities:
- The 4.4 jack is not inserted completely to make good connections? It does take more effort than the other jack, especially when new. Have heard this happen to folks before.
- The Fiio BL44 is defective?
- Some problem with your DX160's 4.4mm jack. Maybe some lint or dirt causing poor connection? Try inspecting/cleaning?
- Or maybe the 4.4mm Jack's solder joints? If solder joints, sound may improve/cut out when you try to wiggle the Fiio BL44's 4.4 tip.
- Some problem with your DX160's balanced circuit.

Dec 8, 2019 at 8:24 PM Post #1,862 of 6,983
I do not normally stream music. If there is a free way to do this, I could test some.
You can try Spotify etc to test, though not hi-res it would give you an idea as to how it works i reckon.

Dec 9, 2019 at 2:15 AM Post #1,863 of 6,983
Yesterday i have a chance to try balance cable. It's use shozy bg (old type using mmcx) using balance 2.5 cable with 2.5 to 4.4 adapter. Using this setup, there is no scratching noise like 3.5 port. I don't know if the adapter 2.5 to 4.4 has any effect to it. But there is no noise. The store does not have 4.4 balance cable directly. Is amplifier separate between single and balance? Noise only affected SE port?

Dec 9, 2019 at 10:07 AM Post #1,864 of 6,983
Some possible possibilities:
- The 4.4 jack is not inserted completely to make good connections? It does take more effort than the other jack, especially when new. Have heard this happen to folks before.
- The Fiio BL44 is defective?
- Some problem with your DX160's 4.4mm jack. Maybe some lint or dirt causing poor connection? Try inspecting/cleaning?
- Or maybe the 4.4mm Jack's solder joints? If solder joints, sound may improve/cut out when you try to wiggle the Fiio BL44's 4.4 tip.
- Some problem with your DX160's balanced circuit.

I checked this morning and the cable is pushed all the way in. I did notice if I pull the cable out ever so slightly I get full volume from the balanced output. It is like the cable goes in a little too far. I notice that the iBasso CA02 comes with a thin spacer to account for plug variances in manufacturing.

Dec 10, 2019 at 12:31 PM Post #1,866 of 6,983
What do I have to look to check the wifi noises? Thanks!
If you can't hear it dont look for it is my simple advice :D
because once you hear it you cant un-hear it :p

Dec 11, 2019 at 12:27 AM Post #1,868 of 6,983
Hi Guys, are there any sound differences between 3.5mm and 4.4mm? I plan to buy a balance cable to use 4.4mm but not sure if it's worth the trouble.
Short answer:
Definitely worth the trouble

Dec 11, 2019 at 1:46 AM Post #1,870 of 6,983
Definitely worth the trouble

why's that? what are you hearing that makes you say that? not that I doubt it, just want to hear your thoughts

@Bluess - I wonder how many people have the same cable to properly test out the differences? I bet that the dunu hulk cable would make a great companion for such an experiment because of its quick change plugs.

I will have a triton custom made 4.4 cable tomorrow, but it's different conductor and geometry than my 3.5 cables, so not really a controlled comparison, you know? no way to know if what you're hearing as different can be attributed to the cable or the output.

Dec 11, 2019 at 5:00 AM Post #1,871 of 6,983
why's that? what are you hearing that makes you say that? not that I doubt it, just want to hear your thoughts
I just like the 4.4mm plug :D

Dec 11, 2019 at 5:36 AM Post #1,872 of 6,983
As the 4.4mm plug conversation came up.. is there any difference between 2.5mm and 4.4mm balanced connections? I couldn't find any precise information on my google searches (unless I wasn't searching properly of course), the only relevant thing I could see is that Sony created the 4.4mm connection..
The curious thing is that there's quite a lot of 2.5mm balanced connectors among many high end DAPs, could be that the 2.5mm became more popular? because I cannot understand why Beyerdynamic has no 4.4mm cables for their headphones (like mines)

Dec 11, 2019 at 6:08 AM Post #1,873 of 6,983
As the 4.4mm plug conversation came up.. is there any difference between 2.5mm and 4.4mm balanced connections? I couldn't find any precise information on my google searches (unless I wasn't searching properly of course), the only relevant thing I could see is that Sony created the 4.4mm connection..
The curious thing is that there's quite a lot of 2.5mm balanced connectors among many high end DAPs, could be that the 2.5mm became more popular? because I cannot understand why Beyerdynamic has no 4.4mm cables for their headphones (like mines)
Two main differences....
1) More robust
2) 4.4mm being TRRRS has an additional contact for ground. How many manufacturers implement that is still evading me but Sony does it

Dec 11, 2019 at 10:58 AM Post #1,874 of 6,983

@Bluess - I wonder how many people have the same cable to properly test out the differences? I bet that the dunu hulk cable would make a great companion for such an experiment because of its quick change plugs.

I will have a triton custom made 4.4 cable tomorrow, but it's different conductor and geometry than my 3.5 cables, so not really a controlled comparison, you know? no way to know if what you're hearing as different can be attributed to the cable or the output.
True, but at least you get twice the power output,it looks nice and robust too. I'll try to get a reasonable price cable so if the sound isn't as expected at least I still keep my wallet thick :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back