iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Sep 1, 2019 at 2:44 PM Post #151 of 6,983
What? Lol I enjoy music immensely on my m11, my m6, my zx300, and even my little ap80. They all ran smoother than my dx220. I don't care really, hey if you think it works fine, that's all that matters.

I came here because I thought the dx160 looked nice, but I'm not getting strictly because it has the same soc as the dx220- which was laggy and choppy enough to bug me, it sounded nice, but so do other daps that run smoother.
Can't agree more.
I get that audiophiles may not be tech nerds, but this is essentially taking advantage of that fact.
Because many audiophiles aren't well versed in socs, companies like Sony, who clearly could put any snapdragon cpu they want at very little extra cost since they already buy 100k+ of socs, still put these super old rockchip cpus or whatever.

It's up to that small subsegment of us who are into audio, and are also soc nerds, to advocate for the rest of the community who may not understand how they are being screwed over.

Don't expect a lot of thanks, but once it's standard and devices aren't laggy, they will be happy about it. A music player that is laggy, when all it is doing is basic tasks that we have had strong enough processors for for the last 10+ years, is unacceptable.

Sep 1, 2019 at 2:49 PM Post #152 of 6,983
Can't agree more.
I get that audiophiles may not be tech nerds, but this is essentially taking advantage of that fact.
Because many audiophiles aren't well versed in socs, companies like Sony, who clearly could put any snapdragon cpu they want at very little extra cost since they already buy 100k+ of socs, still put these super old rockchip cpus or whatever.

It's up to that small subsegment of us who are into audio, and are also soc nerds, to advocate for the rest of the community who may not understand how they are being screwed over.

Don't expect a lot of thanks, but once it's standard and devices aren't laggy, they will be happy about it. A music player that is laggy, when all it is doing is basic tasks that we have had strong enough processors for for the last 10+ years, is unacceptable.

True, and if course with Sony's super streamlined UI and operating system those old chips still allow smoothness. With android and all the bells and whistles that come with it.... not so much.

Sep 1, 2019 at 2:55 PM Post #153 of 6,983
lol Well it is fact that I don't agree with you. I use the iphone 8 constantly every day and there are times that there is a slight lag and a moment that it takes something to come up. I don't have many apps on my phone and it has lots of memory so nothing to encumber it. But it is fact for me, that it is not as you say. Anyway, this thread is about DX160.

I want to add that there are several people here who have iPhones and they are well liked and we test against various phones and other Android devices. We want the user experience to be free of stress and strive for that.

IPhone 8 has 2gb of ram. It's not plenty of memory.. Also the way I phones use memory is different than android. It's a different operating system.

This is again the whole problem with this. Those in the audio community are not well versed on how hardware works, so we get these horrible comparisons. The whole way the iPhone soc works is different than Android socs. Apple has designed their soc in house for their phones vs Android socs which are designed by one company, and implemented by others in devices.

It gives me little confidence than companies like Ibasso will be able to even understand that the SoC they're using is trash let alone use a better soc. This all comes down to profit margins in my opinion. The rockchip is old and dirt cheap, and the companies don't want to take a $1-5 dollar hit to margins to use a better soc, and because the audiophile community will listen to the ridiculous excuses these companies give ("we focused on audio quality so couldn't give you a better soc!" people actually believe this garbage ) we continue to get bad socs.
I mean they're using a trash tier doc in a $2k+ product in the dx 220 max. it's just wrong. It's wrong to ask 2k for a product and still deliver trash components of any kind.

If you truly cared about user experience, you would have used a better soc at this point, instead of the same one in all products, from budget to 2k.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2019 at 1:08 AM Post #155 of 6,983
Whatever you listen to, Enjoy the Music!

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Sep 2, 2019 at 1:40 PM Post #156 of 6,983
Last edited:
Sep 2, 2019 at 1:49 PM Post #157 of 6,983
Pure class :thumbsup:

@Paul - iBasso , does this do bit perfect playback with any app like the Hiby R5 will? I'm thinking particularly of Tidal here.
If the app is bit perfect then there should be no issue. We have found that some apps needed to update in order to work correct (in the past). It will be up to the 3rd party app and some have updated and there is no issue.

Sep 2, 2019 at 1:57 PM Post #158 of 6,983
If the app is bit perfect then there should be no issue. We have found that some apps needed to update in order to work correct (in the past). It will be up to the 3rd party app and some have updated and there is no issue.
Do you have a list of those that are bit-perfect? Since Hiby does everything bit-perfect, it's important for me to know if the apps I use are bit-perfect prior to purchase of either.

Sep 2, 2019 at 2:03 PM Post #159 of 6,983
@Paul - iBasso What is the differences between the DX220 and DX160 other than one has interchangeable amps and the other does not?

Sep 2, 2019 at 2:41 PM Post #160 of 6,983
@Paul - iBasso What is the differences between the DX220 and DX160 other than one has interchangeable amps and the other does not?

The notification bar will show the true output sample rate but I don't have a list of what apps will pass bit perfect.

Do you have a list of those that are bit-perfect? Since Hiby does everything bit-perfect, it's important for me to know if the apps I use are bit-perfect prior to purchase of either.

The hardware difference can be compared from the DX220 to the DX160. The DX160 has Android, the DX220 has Android and the Pure Mango, with most all of Android stripped off. The DX160 has search function and many of the Android features of the DX220.

Sep 2, 2019 at 2:52 PM Post #161 of 6,983
The notification bar will show the true output sample rate but I don't have a list of what apps will pass bit perfect.

The hardware difference can be compared from the DX220 to the DX160. The DX160 has Android, the DX220 has Android and the Pure Mango, with most all of Android stripped off. The DX160 has search function and many of the Android features of the DX220.

Thanks! I prefer Mango mode as I have no interest in installing apps.

Sep 2, 2019 at 4:35 PM Post #163 of 6,983
Does it support hardware MQA decoding?

Sep 2, 2019 at 11:20 PM Post #165 of 6,983
The answer is a simple 2.5mm to 4.4mm adapter... However i understand people dont like the extra dongle

Users who are viewing this thread

Back