iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Nov 1, 2019 at 2:31 PM Post #1,156 of 6,983
Why would a manufacturer have two models for DX160? As in, I am trying to understand why is it ‘obvious’ from your viewpoint.
it's not obvious, but I have noticed this 'grid' being mentioned. it's hard to see and the light has to hit it just right with the screen off. it's basically, the square pixels that i can see, and it looks like a very tight 'grid'. sure. why's this an issue? screen on and it's beautiful, no pixels.

Nov 1, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #1,157 of 6,983
So I have the Ibasso dx160 and very pretty it is too,

I have tried had the Fiio M11 shanling M5s and the Hiby R6 and R5.
This player suits and sounds very good better than the above the M5s is probably the closest in terms of sound.
There is a richness and openness too the sound from the DX160.

The R5 sounded closed in by comparison. (Still a good sound but the instruments sounded closed in).

Like another poster on this thread I have found the Bluetooth to be glitchy looses connection stutters.
But when it works it sounds very good.

And to everyone who says we listen wired I would have bought the Dx120 if that was the case.

Also the Ibasso Dx160 does not see the 5ghz WiFi band does the band range have to be between 1 and 10?

BUT this Ibasso Dx160 apart from a couple of issues is a joy to use and certainly sounds excellent and looks very good on the eye.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2019 at 3:31 PM Post #1,158 of 6,983
Nov 1, 2019 at 4:10 PM Post #1,159 of 6,983
Hi there pranavtripathi
I have a variety of Bluetooth receivers including the FiiO BTR3 which will take any 3.5mm Headphone/IEM/BUD. I have 3 other Bluetooth DAPs including the FiiO M9, FiiO M6, and also my Samsung S9+ phone. Each one of those send LDAC, with stability, without any signal dropping to the BTR3. Like most on this thread I usually use wired IEMs or Buds and the sound is second to none...impressive. But sooner or later any problems with a DAP will emerge. The truth seems to hurt some on this thread...but it's the truth. I still love the sound of the DX160 but I cannot see the point of some being in denial. It's empirical. It can be checked.
I'm merely asking about the way you are using the DX160 to try and recreate the scenario with my own DX160. For my purpose I use the DX160's Bluetooth with Bluetooth headphones so it is quite different from the way you are using it.

Paul acknowledged that the Bluetooth issue is being looked into.
Is that denial? Or is that the truth hurting some people? How is it hurtful?

Nov 1, 2019 at 4:11 PM Post #1,160 of 6,983
it's not obvious, but I have noticed this 'grid' being mentioned. it's hard to see and the light has to hit it just right with the screen off. it's basically, the square pixels that i can see, and it looks like a very tight 'grid'. sure. why's this an issue? screen on and it's beautiful, no pixels.
Does this ‘grid’ create an issue while using the DAP?

Nov 1, 2019 at 4:19 PM Post #1,161 of 6,983
I'm merely asking about the way you are using the DX160 to try and recreate the scenario with my own DX160. For my purpose I use the DX160's Bluetooth with Bluetooth headphones so it is quite different from the way you are using it.

Paul acknowledged that the Bluetooth issue is being looked into.
Is that denial? Or is that the truth hurting some people? How is it hurtful?

Not you. Some took offence when a couple of us mentioned the Bluetooth problem. I'm happy that it works the way you use it.

Nov 1, 2019 at 4:28 PM Post #1,162 of 6,983
I'll bet he has to be careful around open flames :ksc75smile:!

Anyways, I think most would agree that things should work as advertised without the user having to resort to heroics, advanced engineering degrees, or divine intervention.

However, people should also be aware of and educated about the limitations of the technologies they pursue. If one does a little basic reading and studying of BT technology you will quickly find that it is prone to interference and was never intended for high bandwidth applications. Now in BT 5.0 the burst rate was doubled to 2Mbit/sec at the expense of range or conversely the range could be 4x greater at the expense of burst rate. Burst is just what it's definition tells you - so not for sustained high bandwidth data transmissions like might be associated with hires music, etc. Read more here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth and then see if you have a better understanding of the challenges that might be encountered on the path to perfect BT enjoyment.

I choose to stick with wired connected IEM's and memory cards but respect those that prefer to take advantage of all the wireless technology as well. At least Paul/iBasso have committed to investigating the reported issues.

Cheers,
Tim
I’m not sure who that’s supposed to educate but I can vouch empirically that pocket BT receivers and modern phones are able to maintain LDAC connections without a hitch even in relatively challenging conditions of range and path. Never ceases to amaze me by the way because Bluetooth is indeed not a technology that was developed with the specific demands of high-resolution audio streaming in mind!

Nov 1, 2019 at 4:30 PM Post #1,163 of 6,983
Guyz what's your opinion about digital filters for the DX160? Which one is better?

Options are:
• Fast Roll Off
• Short Delay Slow Roll Off
• Short Delay Fast Roll Off
• Slow Roll Off

I'm currently using Slow Roll Off, but I'm not enough expert.

Nov 1, 2019 at 4:45 PM Post #1,164 of 6,983
The Android media library seems to be totally broken with this one.
Music players those have their own library like Mango player or Hiby player work fine but music players using Android media library doesn't work at all. I hope it to be fixed in future firmwares.

Nov 1, 2019 at 5:13 PM Post #1,167 of 6,983
Guyz what's your opinion about digital filters for the DX160? Which one is better?

Options are:
• Fast Roll Off
• Short Delay Slow Roll Off
• Short Delay Fast Roll Off
• Slow Roll Off

I'm currently using Slow Roll Off, but I'm not enough expert.
I didn’t notice much of a difference.. When Ibasso releases a manual. It should explain the differences.

Nov 1, 2019 at 5:32 PM Post #1,168 of 6,983
Does this ‘grid’ create an issue while using the DAP?
no

When Ibasso releases a manual. It should explain the differences.
why? this is not an ibasso feature, but the DAC's feature. Even the DAC manufacturer won't explain them in practical terms most of the time, though you can see the specs on their spec sheet (if available). If you want to learn about digital reconstruction filters, how they work, and what they do to phase, impulse, and frequency response, there's tons available online. Unfortunately, I can't link to them because links to other forums are not allowed when posting.

To get you started, search "minimum phase vs linear phase DAC filter"

Nov 1, 2019 at 6:52 PM Post #1,169 of 6,983
I’m not sure who that’s supposed to educate but I can vouch empirically that pocket BT receivers and modern phones are able to maintain LDAC connections without a hitch even in relatively challenging conditions of range and path. Never ceases to amaze me by the way because Bluetooth is indeed not a technology that was developed with the specific demands of high-resolution audio streaming in mind!
It was education for anyone interested in learning more about BT and the vast array of variables involved with the technology, advantages, disadvantages, limitations, etc. If someone is already aware of the information - just ignore my post. For some folks were reporting dropouts/disconnects, noise, distance issues so there might be some knowledge to be gained at the link provided.

I have used BT devices for several years and accept the limitations and imperfections - why I choose wired connections for unmatched audio quality.

Regarding modern phones - so nobody has ever had a problem with a dropped phone call, poor connection/signal quality, interference, battery life issues, etc - right? Yeah - I didn't think so...

Again, good that iBasso is looking into the issues reported and hopefully can make improvements.

Enjoy,
Tim

Nov 1, 2019 at 7:14 PM Post #1,170 of 6,983
As it was mentioned above, official firmware version 1.02.109 is available via OTA, and compatible add-on v.1.24 was just published. If you use DX160 with a previous firmware version with the add-on, you have to perform the following steps:
  1. Revert back to the official firmware. I just published the packages for 1.01.084.
  2. Perform OTA update via Android's Settings.
  3. Apply add-on v.1.24.
As I see, early birds are already doing it while I'm writing this :)

Packages to revert back to official 1.02.109 are available as well.

is it really need to factory reset each time i restore and update ota and add on ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back