iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Nov 2, 2019 at 10:01 AM Post #1,187 of 6,983
Hi, I am new to the whole idea of a DAP and have read about burning in a DAP. How does one go about burning in the DX160?

Just play it at a moderate volume with a load plugged in. It also helps if you play Pyromania, and Burning down the house, Firestarter, Fight fire with Fire, Cities on Flame...

Then finish with VH's Ice Cream Man to cool things down :)

Nov 2, 2019 at 10:08 AM Post #1,188 of 6,983
How about max external storage? 1tb or 2tb? I need it.
I'm not Paul, but what do you mean by "external storage"? DX160 works with my WD My Passport Ultra 2/3/4TB just fine! Isn't it an external storage?

Nov 2, 2019 at 10:13 AM Post #1,189 of 6,983
So I connected my 160 to my vehicle (LR) Discovery and it sounded great and was stable. However, no song info showed up and the on screen controls didn't work.

Everything other dap/phone works/worked properly. Weird.

Nov 2, 2019 at 10:25 AM Post #1,190 of 6,983
Hi, I am new to the whole idea of a DAP and have read about burning in a DAP. How does one go about burning in the DX160?

If it came with a burn in cable just plug that in and play music continuously for around 100 hours or so, at about half volume. If no cable plug in a pair of headphones and do the same.

Nov 2, 2019 at 10:46 AM Post #1,192 of 6,983
Correction, the screen does have a grid, had to use a flashlight. It's finer than the one on the m11. I tried to capture a pic showing it. Not too good, but hey

I had to use a powerful flashlight to see it. Not that it really matters anyways, grid or no grid.

20191102_104119.jpg

Nov 2, 2019 at 10:49 AM Post #1,193 of 6,983
Oh im sorry. I mean microsd storage for dx160. I want upgrade this storage from 256Mb to 512Mb or 1Tb.
DX160 supports SDXC cards up to its maximum, which is 2TB.

Nov 2, 2019 at 12:41 PM Post #1,196 of 6,983
I have heard them. Sound impressions can be subjective though.
I still really want to know which 30$ IEM outdoes a 300$ full size headphone though

Well, for full sized headphones I have Elex, Sundara, Thieaudio Phantom, Eikon, CX, AFC - all more than $300, some much, much more... My Blon-03 at $30 will happily go toe to toe with any of them from a SQ/tonality/clarity perspective. Yes, there is a big difference in soundstage, etc. But, I won’t be giving up the 03’s because of that shortfall.

Obviously a different comparison altogether... if we compare my S8F (@$500 it is obviously much more than the Blon and some of my over ear headphones)... well, all of my headphones cower in fear... the SQ is so superior TO ME that I wonder why I spend time with over ear headphones at all...

IEMs have their limitations, like soundstage. But they have one thing over headphones... superior clarity and tonality. It’s simple physics. Headphones, being right up against your head, create much more complex sound waves due to all of the reflections and corresponding constructive and destructive interactions. You can say that is what the real world is like, but that is not altogether true - sound in the real world does not come from an enclosed source less than an inch from your head and ear. I have yet to find an over ear headphone that does not sound muffled compared to any decent IEM that I own. And this includes open back headphones.

But all of this is just MY opinion. Others love their full sized headphones and I respect that. And I continue to search for headphones that will give me the clarity of sound that I get from IEMs...

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2019 at 1:38 AM Post #1,199 of 6,983
Ok so my DX160 arrived this afternoon. I have only messed around with it for a couple hours. This is not a formal review but here are my immediate observations:

The good:
  • The player itself is gorgeous and is the perfect size. I am not careful enough to use it full time without the clear case but even with that it just fits in the hand perfectly. The large size of the M11 is one of the reasons I went for the DX160.
  • This is my first dedicated DAP so I really have no context outside of using my smartphone or my dedicated desktop amp/DAC setup. That said it sounds wonderful out of my TRN V90s and it drives my Focal Elexs with authority. I am actually pretty impressed how well it drives the full size cans. This is all through the 3.5mm jack.
  • Screen is phenomenal. Honestly its more than you need on a device that's main purpose is listening not viewing.
The bad
  • The scratching sound that has been mentioned throughout this thread is far and away the most annoying thing and it is very real. After a bunch of trial and error I have confidently narrowed down the source of this scratching sound to the wifi radio. If the wifi is on regardless of whether you are playing music or not, regardless of whether Mango is open or not, there is an inconsistent scratching sound that is greatly affected by the wifi activity. It is very much there even when nothing is open but Mango. I can still hear it when I turn the music way down. Turning off wifi completely eliminated the sound.
  • System speed- After watching review videos of the Hiby R5 and M11 and then trying to quickly switch apps and fly through menus it is clear system navigation is not as snappy as the R5 or M11. There is just a very slight lag whenever you select something in the settings menu for instance. There is also a very slight lag when you hit the play button or next track button. The music does pause immediately when pause is pressed. Aside from that Mango player navigation is actually pretty quick and smooth. I would not call the device snappy overall though.
  • Bluetooth- I probably would never have even checked this is not for all the feedback in this thread. I bought this device as a dedicated hifi music player and never intended on using a BT headset with it. That said I did some testing and I can say that the performance falls short of my PIxel 2 range but far exceeds most of the extreme issues I have read in this thread. I was able to use my Jabra Evolve 75e succesfuly with the DX160. I was able to walk around the corner of a room and still had solid streaming. I was able to create short range interference when I put my hand over the BT radio portion of my neckband ear buds. It is clear the range is much weaker than my Pixel 2 but I found it acceptable for short range usage. I am confident that the variability in people's experience with the BT performance has to do with the wide range of BT headsets people are using and how sensitive they are to obstruction and interference. True wireless earbuds are notoriously susceptible to this.
  • Power button- This is very minor but I wish it was on the side not the top for easier access.
Overall I love the device's form factor and its performance as a music player playing files loaded locally. The wifi noise is a major annoyance and would be a deal breaker if I planned to use this device for music streaming or regular internet usage. I am afraid this issue is something that is unlikely to be fixed by a firmware update as it seems like it is nothing more than wifi radio interference making its way into the audio path. I am debating ordering a Hiby R5 just to see if sacrificing some screen quality is worth the improved system speed, battery life and turn-key Google Play access (for UAPP which still seems to be my preferred player).

Nov 3, 2019 at 1:50 AM Post #1,200 of 6,983
Ok so my DX160 arrived this afternoon. I have only messed around with it for a couple hours. This is not a formal review but here are my immediate observations:

The good:
  • The player itself is gorgeous and is the perfect size. I am not careful enough to use it full time without the clear case but even with that it just fits in the hand perfectly. The large size of the M11 is one of the reasons I went for the DX160.
  • This is my first dedicated DAP so I really have no context outside of using my smartphone or my dedicated desktop amp/DAC setup. That said it sounds wonderful out of my TRN V90s and it drives my Focal Elexs with authority. I am actually pretty impressed how well it drives the full size cans. This is all through the 3.5mm jack.
  • Screen is phenomenal. Honestly its more than you need on a device that's main purpose is listening not viewing.
The bad
  • The scratching sound that has been mentioned throughout this thread is far and away the most annoying thing and it is very real. After a bunch of trial and error I have confidently narrowed down the source of this scratching sound to the wifi radio. If the wifi is on regardless of whether you are playing music or not, regardless of whether Mango is open or not, there is an inconsistent scratching sound that is greatly affected by the wifi activity. It is very much there even when nothing is open but Mango. I can still hear it when I turn the music way down. Turning off wifi completely eliminated the sound.
  • System speed- After watching review videos of the Hiby R5 and M11 and then trying to quickly switch apps and fly through menus it is clear system navigation is not as snappy as the R5 or M11. There is just a very slight lag whenever you select something in the settings menu for instance. There is also a very slight lag when you hit the play button or next track button. The music does pause immediately when pause is pressed. Aside from that Mango player navigation is actually pretty quick and smooth. I would not call the device snappy overall though.
  • Bluetooth- I probably would never have even checked this is not for all the feedback in this thread. I bought this device as a dedicated hifi music player and never intended on using a BT headset with it. That said I did some testing and I can say that the performance falls short of my PIxel 2 range but far exceeds most of the extreme issues I have read in this thread. I was able to use my Jabra Evolve 75e succesfuly with the DX160. I was able to walk around the corner of a room and still had solid streaming. I was able to create short range interference when I put my hand over the BT radio portion of my neckband ear buds. It is clear the range is much weaker than my Pixel 2 but I found it acceptable for short range usage. I am confident that the variability in people's experience with the BT performance has to do with the wide range of BT headsets people are using and how sensitive they are to obstruction and interference. True wireless earbuds are notoriously susceptible to this.
  • Power button- This is very minor but I wish it was on the side not the top for easier access.
Overall I love the device's form factor and its performance as a music player playing files loaded locally. The wifi noise is a major annoyance and would be a deal breaker if I planned to use this device for music streaming or regular internet usage. I am afraid this issue is something that is unlikely to be fixed by a firmware update as it seems like it is nothing more than wifi radio interference making its way into the audio path. I am debating ordering a Hiby R5 just to see if sacrificing some screen quality is worth the improved system speed, battery life and turn-key Google Play access (for UAPP which still seems to be my preferred player).
Have you updated to the latest firmware? It is available on the Online update. I don't have any lag at all, so not sure why you have that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back