iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Nov 3, 2019 at 1:00 AM Post #1,201 of 6,983
Have you updated to the latest firmware? It is available on the Online update. I don't have any lag at all, so not sure why you have that.
Sorry I should have mentioned that above. I updated the firmware as soon as I turned it on. It is running 1.02.109.

Nov 3, 2019 at 1:02 AM Post #1,202 of 6,983
Sorry I should have mentioned that above. I updated the firmware as soon as I turned it on. It is running 1.02.109.
Try a factory reset as well. Also for WiFi, there are different channels, so you might want to try a different one. Also, are you using 2.4 or 5GHz.

Nov 3, 2019 at 1:38 AM Post #1,203 of 6,983
Try a factory reset as well. Also for WiFi, there are different channels, so you might want to try a different one. Also, are you using 2.4 or 5GHz.
Factory reset changed nothing. Are you talking about changing channels on my router? It is already optimized to avoid another networks not going to do that for a DAP lol. I hear the noise on both 2.4 and 5GHz.

Another observation regarding the scratching sound is that if I stop the music for maybe a minute or two it seems the audio path must power down because the wifi interference sound goes away. But as soon as I play the music and pause again it is back.

Nov 3, 2019 at 2:07 AM Post #1,204 of 6,983
Ok so my DX160 arrived this afternoon. I have only messed around with it for a couple hours. This is not a formal review but here are my immediate observations:

The good:
  • The player itself is gorgeous and is the perfect size. I am not careful enough to use it full time without the clear case but even with that it just fits in the hand perfectly. The large size of the M11 is one of the reasons I went for the DX160.
  • This is my first dedicated DAP so I really have no context outside of using my smartphone or my dedicated desktop amp/DAC setup. That said it sounds wonderful out of my TRN V90s and it drives my Focal Elexs with authority. I am actually pretty impressed how well it drives the full size cans. This is all through the 3.5mm jack.
  • Screen is phenomenal. Honestly its more than you need on a device that's main purpose is listening not viewing.
The bad
  • The scratching sound that has been mentioned throughout this thread is far and away the most annoying thing and it is very real. After a bunch of trial and error I have confidently narrowed down the source of this scratching sound to the wifi radio. If the wifi is on regardless of whether you are playing music or not, regardless of whether Mango is open or not, there is an inconsistent scratching sound that is greatly affected by the wifi activity. It is very much there even when nothing is open but Mango. I can still hear it when I turn the music way down. Turning off wifi completely eliminated the sound.
  • System speed- After watching review videos of the Hiby R5 and M11 and then trying to quickly switch apps and fly through menus it is clear system navigation is not as snappy as the R5 or M11. There is just a very slight lag whenever you select something in the settings menu for instance. There is also a very slight lag when you hit the play button or next track button. The music does pause immediately when pause is pressed. Aside from that Mango player navigation is actually pretty quick and smooth. I would not call the device snappy overall though.
  • Bluetooth- I probably would never have even checked this is not for all the feedback in this thread. I bought this device as a dedicated hifi music player and never intended on using a BT headset with it. That said I did some testing and I can say that the performance falls short of my PIxel 2 range but far exceeds most of the extreme issues I have read in this thread. I was able to use my Jabra Evolve 75e succesfuly with the DX160. I was able to walk around the corner of a room and still had solid streaming. I was able to create short range interference when I put my hand over the BT radio portion of my neckband ear buds. It is clear the range is much weaker than my Pixel 2 but I found it acceptable for short range usage. I am confident that the variability in people's experience with the BT performance has to do with the wide range of BT headsets people are using and how sensitive they are to obstruction and interference. True wireless earbuds are notoriously susceptible to this.
  • Power button- This is very minor but I wish it was on the side not the top for easier access.
Overall I love the device's form factor and its performance as a music player playing files loaded locally. The wifi noise is a major annoyance and would be a deal breaker if I planned to use this device for music streaming or regular internet usage. I am afraid this issue is something that is unlikely to be fixed by a firmware update as it seems like it is nothing more than wifi radio interference making its way into the audio path. I am debating ordering a Hiby R5 just to see if sacrificing some screen quality is worth the improved system speed, battery life and turn-key Google Play access (for UAPP which still seems to be my preferred player).
Thank you very much for the initial impressions. You can try Lurker's add on to enable play services and play store and then try UAPP or Neutron, whichever it more to your liking.

Nov 3, 2019 at 4:01 AM Post #1,205 of 6,983
Update on Ibasso DX160

Really enjoying the streaming from this player via wired. The sound is so enticing and full.
It's not harsh or shrill dependant on music and headgear used I guess.

Question does anyone know of a tempered glass screen for this one that fits?
@Paul - iBasso will there be any glass screen protector to fit Ibasso DX160? Thanks

And secondly does anyone use Amazon ultra HD streaming how does it show on screen?
Thanks

Nov 3, 2019 at 4:51 AM Post #1,206 of 6,983
20191028_153839.jpg 20191028_153859.jpg 20191028_190740.jpg 20191030_005538.jpg Hi guys, after installing the new FM the battery lasted well over 11 hours for me! (of course reso at 720 - even at this reso the images are still pretty hi res to me, volume at 38 to 40%, 3.5mm SE). So far this machine is not laggy for me at all. Have not tested the bluetooth or any internet streaming functions (not really particular about those as my note 9 would have covered those areas quite adequately as far as my mobility requirements are concerned, tbh). Am just focused on its SQ and battery life, and ultimately the price (which i must say this model kinda aced it all and im pretty stoked). Fact that is pretty gorgeous in blue also a huge bonus for me haha.

Here are some pics of it after trying out for about a week.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2019 at 9:28 AM Post #1,207 of 6,983
I just tried the 3.5 out to try to hear the scratching sound and I don't hear anything. I would have thought my akt8ieii would be sensitive to hear it, since I can hear hissing on quite a few daps. Either that or I'm lucky enough to not have the problem from wi fi.

Btw the SE out sounds pretty damn good :) it's still better from the balanced but it sounds better than most.

I sold my R5 even though it's better in other areas and at this point more polished because the sound on the dx160 is very lush and addicting. It gives a bigger and more vibrant sound, and still remains somewhat neutral.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2019 at 10:47 AM Post #1,208 of 6,983
Hi guys, after installing the new FM the battery lasted well over 11 hours for me! (of course reso at 720 - even at this reso the images are still pretty hi res to me, volume at 38 to 40%, 3.5mm SE). So far this machine is not laggy for me at all. Have not tested the bluetooth or any internet streaming functions (not really particular about those as my note 9 would have covered those areas quite adequately as far as my mobility requirements are concerned, tbh). Am just focused on its SQ and battery life, and ultimately the price (which i must say this model kinda aced it all and im pretty stoked). Fact that is pretty gorgeous in blue also a huge bonus for me haha.

That is one sexy looking dap! I normally don't like blue that much, but that looks towards the cobalt palette and just sings and pops.

B&H photo didn't have blue when I ordered mine :frowning2:

Nov 3, 2019 at 10:55 AM Post #1,209 of 6,983
That is one sexy looking dap! I normally don't like blue that much, but that looks towards the cobalt palette and just sings and pops.

B&H photo didn't have blue when I ordered mine :frowning2:
Yeah haha am digging the blue a lot! And i also dont get any hiss at all haha but so far it's just on 3.5SE with no wifi nor bluetooth on :)

Nov 3, 2019 at 10:57 AM Post #1,210 of 6,983
I just tried the 3.5 out to try to hear the scratching sound and I don't hear anything. I would have thought my akt8ieii would be sensitive to hear it, since I can hear hissing on quite a few daps. Either that or I'm lucky enough to not have the problem from wi fi.

Btw the SE out sounds pretty damn good :) it's still better from the balanced but it sounds better than most.

I sold my R5 even though it's better in other areas and at this point more polished because the sound on the dx160 is very lush and addicting. It gives a bigger and more vibrant sound, and still remains somewhat neutral.

Yeah haha the sound is just full of emotions! Hahaha thts why to me it does the job well! Haha and you are right it is actually addictive! My god can u believe it haha crazy!

Nov 3, 2019 at 11:42 AM Post #1,211 of 6,983
Hi guys, after installing the new FM the battery lasted well over 11 hours for me! (of course reso at 720 - even at this reso the images are still pretty hi res to me, volume at 38 to 40%, 3.5mm SE). So far this machine is not laggy for me at all. Have not tested the bluetooth or any internet streaming functions (not really particular about those as my note 9 would have covered those areas quite adequately as far as my mobility requirements are concerned, tbh). Am just focused on its SQ and battery life, and ultimately the price (which i must say this model kinda aced it all and im pretty stoked). Fact that is pretty gorgeous in blue also a huge bonus for me haha.

The Blue is my favorite but I have Black because that is what I picked first. It doesn't matter my position in the company, I have to use what I picked. lol

Update on Ibasso DX160

Really enjoying the streaming from this player via wired. The sound is so enticing and full.
It's not harsh or shrill dependant on music and headgear used I guess.

Question does anyone know of a tempered glass screen for this one that fits?
@Paul - iBasso will there be any glass screen protector to fit Ibasso DX160? Thanks

And secondly does anyone use Amazon ultra HD streaming how does it show on screen?
Thanks

The glass of the DX160 screen is Corning, very hard and durable. A glass screen protector interferes with the response of the screen, unless there is one that is ultra thin. For WiFi Amazon ultra HD, the app from Amazon needs some work, from all the feedback I have gotten. It works for HD but not Ultra HD. Like Tidal, the software from the company needs work. For streaming from a computer using the DX160 as a DAC, it works without issue, according to reports.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Nov 3, 2019 at 11:49 AM Post #1,213 of 6,983
Has anyone got the silver colour yet?

Nov 3, 2019 at 12:55 PM Post #1,215 of 6,983
The Blue is my favorite but I have Black because that is what I picked first. It doesn't matter my position in the company, I have to use what I picked. lol

The glass of the DX160 screen is Corning, very hard and durable. A glass screen protector interferes with the response of the screen, unless there is one that is ultra thin. For WiFi Amazon ultra HD, the app from Amazon needs some work, from all the feedback I have gotten. It works for HD but not Ultra HD. Like Tidal, the software from the company needs work. For streaming from a computer using the DX160 as a DAC, it works without issue, according to reports.
After the screen protector was separated. Did you put the thin or more thick of the 2 on the dap? I put the more thin plastic on, and it left a lot of air bubbles
But functions just fine..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back