iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Nov 1, 2019 at 5:22 AM Post #1,096 of 6,983
As it was mentioned above, official firmware version 1.02.109 is available via OTA, and compatible add-on v.1.24 was just published. If you use DX160 with a previous firmware version with the add-on, you have to perform the following steps:
  1. Revert back to the official firmware. I just published the packages for 1.01.084.
  2. Perform OTA update via Android's Settings.
  3. Apply add-on v.1.24.
As I see, early birds are already doing it while I'm writing this :)

Packages to revert back to official 1.02.109 are available as well.

Nov 1, 2019 at 5:31 AM Post #1,097 of 6,983
As it was mentioned above, official firmware version 1.02.109 is available via OTA, and compatible add-on v.1.24 was just published. If you use DX160 with a previous firmware version with the add-on, you have to perform the following steps:
  1. Revert back to the official firmware. I just published the packages for 1.01.084.
  3. Apply add-on v.1.24.

Wow that fast. Just flash v1.23 this morning . Thank you sir, will update it

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2019 at 5:45 AM Post #1,098 of 6,983
@Paul - iBasso

Whilst I realise that minor problems can be attended to by Firmware Updates but there are one or two problems that need to be addressed, and could be deal breakers for some. Bluetooth on the DX160 is very poor although it is supposed to be Bluetooth 5. Even in full line of sight, during real world usage, the connection has no real integrity and cuts in and out if the DX160 is is moved. That's close by in line of sight. That though is not even the worst problem, as it's Bluetooth sound is really LoFi. The clarity and crisp highs my FiiO M9 gives to an APTX-HD or LDAC receiver, and to speakers, is really nice. Crystal clear, crisp and full of timbre and tone. On the DX160 It sounds dull LoFi and is not good.....dull is the word. The sound with earphones is exceptional though. That is where this DAP punches above it's weight. It sounds wonderful through my IEMs. Those that get this as a review DAP will move on to other DAPs if there are fundamental problems. But many of us need this DAP to do everything right as we will be using it for some years because we have paid $399 for it.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2019 at 6:05 AM Post #1,099 of 6,983
  3. Apply add-on v.1.24.

Nice job lurker

Nov 1, 2019 at 6:07 AM Post #1,100 of 6,983
I can confirm experiencing the same noise issues with what's been mentioned by the others here when using the Solaris. With my Oriolus MK2, which isn't as sensitive, I'm not getting this problem. It's as the others have described, it's not the same hissing you get with other DAPs but a light scratching noise. Imagine the light whirring/scratching sound your portable hard drive makes when you connect it to your PC but not as loud. LOL

@zeguym , the "hissing" or "screen noise" is hard to explain on my device, as well. I heard that pop sound a few times also where the hissing / scratching noise suddenly stops and it becomes dead silent.

Because after i close spotify, wait several minutes, there is some pop sound occurred than those noise is gone (or significantly drop)

For those who have used both unbalanced and balanced out, is the noise about the same or is one better than the other?

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2019 at 6:17 AM Post #1,101 of 6,983
I can confirm experiencing the same noise issues with what's been mentioned by the others here when using the Solaris. With my Oriolus MK2, which isn't as sensitive, I'm not getting this problem. It's as the others have described, it's not the same hissing you get with other DAPs but a light scratching noise. Imagine the light whirring/scratching sound your portable hard drive makes when you connect it to your PC but not as loud. LOL

@zeguym , the "hissing" or "screen noise" is hard to explain on my device, as well. I heard that pop sound a few times also where the hissing / scratching noise suddenly stops and it becomes dead silent.

For those who have used both unbalanced and balanced out, is the noise about the same or is one better than the other?
Yes, it's not hissing, its noise is weird, sometime very low, sometime very noticeable, like you said, like scratching or buzzer (sound like seerrrrrrrrr). Also yes, when there is pop sound, than those noise will stop and it becomes dead silent, just like it's switch off.

Nov 1, 2019 at 6:23 AM Post #1,102 of 6,983
Yes, it's not hissing, its noise is weird, sometime very low, sometime very noticeable, like you said, like scratching or buzzer (sound like seerrrrrrrrr). Also yes, when there is pop sound, than those noise will stop and it becomes dead silent, just like it's switch off.

That's exactly it. I don't know if there's anything they can do to resolve this, would be great if there was. It's not too much of a bother for me as it's not really noticeable anymore when playing music but, of course, no one buys a DAP expecting to get that noise in the first place.

Nov 1, 2019 at 6:46 AM Post #1,103 of 6,983
Another extremely positive experience here regarding the DX160. I'm fortunate to own this, the Hiby R5, Fiio M11 and the Shanling M6 and in terms of pure sound quality and transparency it competes head to head with the M6. The other two are some way behind although I accept it's very subjective depending on your preferences. One thing I've noticed on my unit is that the hardware play/pause, fwd and rwd buttons do not work once the screen turns off after the set delay. I have this problem both with Mango player and HibyMusic player even with the Android audio control buttons setting set to always on. Has anyone experienced the same problem and found a workaround or have I got a faulty unit?

Nov 1, 2019 at 7:07 AM Post #1,104 of 6,983
That's exactly it. I don't know if there's anything they can do to resolve this, would be great if there was. It's not too much of a bother for me as it's not really noticeable anymore when playing music but, of course, no one buys a DAP expecting to get that noise in the first place.
Mmmh that sounds like RF interference from inside the case, possibly a badly-placed magnet or an electronic component working too close to the amplification (or it’s not shielded enough). If so it comes down to fundamental layout, there’s probably not much that can be done. Although maybe it can be tweaked on individual units so it’s decreased.

Nov 1, 2019 at 7:16 AM Post #1,105 of 6,983
hardware play/pause, fwd and rwd buttons do not work once the screen turns off after the set delay
This is normal behavior for iBasso DAPs. Android suspends the device, and these buttons don't wake it up.
The buttons are implemented via ADC. The kernel driver shall periodically poll the ADC level to detect key presses. Only Power and Volume buttons are implemented via GPIO and may wake up the deivce, and only Power button is configured to wake it up actually.

Nov 1, 2019 at 7:23 AM Post #1,107 of 6,983
Is anybody using their DX160 with either a Radsone ES100 or a FiiO BTR3? How is the signal and the sound? How does the sound using them compare when used with other DAPs? At the moment, with the new firmware, for me, the signal is poor, the sound is poor and of very limited volume. Have I got a faulty unit or are the problems empirical to the DX160?

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2019 at 7:27 AM Post #1,108 of 6,983
Mmmh that sounds like RF interference from inside the case, possibly a badly-placed magnet or an electronic component working too close to the amplification (or it’s not shielded enough). If so it comes down to fundamental layout, there’s probably not much that can be done. Although maybe it can be tweaked on individual units so it’s decreased.

That's too bad. It's something to consider then for their future releases.

Nov 1, 2019 at 7:55 AM Post #1,109 of 6,983
Is there any workaround other than keeping the screen permanently on?
Android goes into sleep mode in a minute (sometimes even less) of inactivity. In my add-on, Android is prevented from sleeping during a period of time after music was played. It is configurable, and by default it is set to 5 minutes. So, if you put music on pause, you have 5 (or more) minutes to resume playback by pressing Pause button, or to switch tracks.

Nov 1, 2019 at 8:02 AM Post #1,110 of 6,983
does any one have problem that using the usb dac function when connect to computer? as usb dac connected to computer, will have some clicking/cracking noise when playing music, and usually cannot be recognize by computer if connect to the front usb port of computer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back