iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Jan 22, 2021 at 7:03 PM Post #5,206 of 6,983
Don't forget that your DX160 is running a custom ROM as mentioned in your earlier Post.
If the issue was not present before installing the ROM, the custom ROM could be the culprit.

My DX160 is running Lurker00 mods and here is what switching the Settings does when the 3.5mm port is connected to the AUX port of a small powered speaker.

Changing the DX160 output from LO. to PO. or PO. to LO.:
The volume display level remains the same until the Volume Wheel is rotated and changes based on direction volume goes Up/Down.
With the DX160 Volume set to 50% the sound heard from my speaker is about same with PO. or LO selected.

However as expected for a Digital signal, the SPDIF output Volume is either On or Off when rotating the Volume Wheel.
The speaker of course was not connected for this test.

Hope this helps...

Thanks for your answer but already notice this before installing fidelizer rom. I just never asked before. Do have I to put the volume at 100%?
Does this mean my line out does not work?

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2021 at 7:36 PM Post #5,208 of 6,983
What are you attaching to when using line out?
Output of line out is 3.2V max., line out should be used to drive an amplified input.
I'm using a Marshall Hanwell

Jan 22, 2021 at 7:57 PM Post #5,210 of 6,983
Looked up Marshall Hanwell (MH) specs, DX160 LO. output to AUX Input of MH amp/speaker should work.
I would try DX160 LO. output on another amplified speaker to make sure the issue still occurs.
Thanks a lot gonna try to find another amplified speaker for testing... Hope my DX160 or my Hanwell does not have a problem 😔

Jan 22, 2021 at 10:24 PM Post #5,211 of 6,983
I tried contacting iBasso about the following issue. Their website does not have a Support tab, but has a FAQ tab, with the (only) tab under it being “Contact Us,” so I tried. The tab would just bounce back to the iBasso home page... no query as to what the concern was, so... here goes:

I just bought a new DX160 from Amazon. I chose it for a good way to access Tidal streaming, for its sound, as stated by reviewers, as superior to others in the same price range, and even better than that of the 40th anniversary Sony ZX-507 costing more than twice as much, and for its reasonable user interface. It is replacing a FiiO X5iii, which aged out of Tidal capability when FiiO stopped updating Android before the version 6 that Tidal now requires.

I have NEVER been so disappointed with a purchase.

1). Due to an “abundance of caution,” I chose to (try to) install one of the two screen protectors thoughtfully provided. No luck... bubbles galore. Read about how to install, did the requisite cleaning, and still... bubbles. Tried the second screen protector... better but still bubbles. Forget about the screen protectors.
2). Put on the clear soft plastic case. Great fit, but now the volume control knob drags against it and is hard to get to to turn.
3). Started to play music (after installing a preloaded micro SD chip from my FiiO.) It defaulted to the Mango player and sounded really, Really GREAT!
4). Tried to get out of the Mango player to find a way to get Tidal going. Could not. Had to turn off player entirely and turn it back on to get the first screen with all the icons.
5) Did not see an icon for any kind of App Store... no Google store, etc. Found some mystery store called APKPure, found Tidal in it. Would not download, much less install.
6) Went to Chrome browser and through that to Google App Store on line. Signed in, tried to download Tidal, only to be told it was on my Fiio, that my Sony player did not have the right stuff to use it, and did not know about my DX160.
7). Other possible icons were CoolApk and Viper HiFi... but all in Asian characters... no English version, though I think I selected that language.
8) Along the way, tried to find a user manual for the DX160. No luck, anywhere.

What a miserable experience! Only good thing was #3 above, but I have MUCH better players for that than this, and I didn’t buy this for local music playing. The Android environment is not strange to me... it was on my FiiO. But it is really STRAINED to me on the DX160.

I am going to give it one or two more tries over the next day or so, but my patience is wearing very thin and it will then go back to Amazon and I will likely get the Sony ZX-507.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2021 at 12:01 AM Post #5,212 of 6,983
I tried contacting iBasso about the following issue. Their website does not have a Support tab, but has a FAQ tab, with the (only) tab under it being “Contact Us,” so I tried. The tab would just bounce back to the iBasso home page... no query as to what the concern was, so... here goes:

I just bought a new DX160 from Amazon. I chose it for a good way to access Tidal streaming, for its sound, as stated by reviewers, as superior to others in the same price range, and even better than that of the 40th anniversary Sony ZX-507 costing more than twice as much, and for its reasonable user interface. It is replacing a FiiO X5iii, which aged out of Tidal capability when FiiO stopped updating Android before the version 6 that Tidal now requires.

1). Due to an “abundance of caution,” I chose to (try to) install one of the two screen protectors thoughtfully provided. No luck... bubbles galore. Read about how to install, did the requisite cleaning, and still... bubbles. Tried the second screen protector... better but still bubbles. Forget about the screen protectors.
2). Put on the clear soft plastic case. Great fit, but now the volume control knob drags against it and is hard to get to to turn.
3). Started to play music (after installing a preloaded micro SD chip from my FiiO.) It defaulted to the Mango player and sounded really, Really GREAT!
4). Tried to get out of the Mango player to find a way to get Tidal going. Could not. Had to turn off player entirely and turn it back on to get the first screen with all the icons.
5) Did not see an icon for any kind of App Store... no Google store, etc. Found some mystery store called APKPure, found Tidal in it. Would not download, much less install.
6) Went to Chrome browser and through that to Google App Store on line. Signed in, tried to download Tidal, only to be told it was on my Fiio, that my Sony player did not have the right stuff to use it, and did not know about my DX160.
7). Other possible icons were CoolApk and Viper HiFi... but all in Asian characters... no English version, though I think I selected that language.

What a miserable experience! Only good thing was #3 above, but I have MUCH better players for that than this, and I didn’t buy this for local music playing. The Android environment is not strange to me... it was on my FiiO. But it is really STRAINED to me on the DX160.

I am going to give it one or two more tries over the next day or so, but my patience is wearing very thin and it will then go back to Amazon and I will likely get the Sony ZX-507.
Really strange that your unit came without google play store, I thought only chinese users have that. Mine came with google play and all apps worked flawlessly.

Perhaps you can give lurker's firmware a try

Jan 23, 2021 at 12:04 AM Post #5,213 of 6,983

Try using APKPure to first download the google play store onto the device, then use the play store app to download tidal like normal. That works for me without issue (mine also came without the play store installed).

To get home, you press the middle button (the circle) that shows up in the row of three icons at the bottom of the device. Sometimes the three icons are there automatically, sometimes like in apps like Mango that try to use the whole screen space for the user experience you need to first swipe up from the bottom of the screen, then the three icons will appear and you can hit the middle one to go home.

Jan 23, 2021 at 12:30 AM Post #5,214 of 6,983
@goatkidbaahcity , THANK YOU! Both your suggestions (using APKPure to load Googleplay then use Googleplay to load Tidal, and swipe up to find the middle button) changed this from a useless block to a fine audio player! I even get MQA hi res bit rates for Tidal Masters items! What do DX160 buyers without access to head-fi or you do to make this work, since IBasso seems to have no instructions!? Thank you!

Jan 23, 2021 at 12:35 AM Post #5,215 of 6,983
Glad you got it working! Its a great little player, I love mine. It was my first android device so I had quite the period of "how on earth do I work this thing" when I first got it.

Jan 23, 2021 at 9:22 AM Post #5,216 of 6,983
@goatkidbaahcity , THANK YOU! Both your suggestions (using APKPure to load Googleplay then use Googleplay to load Tidal, and swipe up to find the middle button) changed this from a useless block to a fine audio player! I even get MQA hi res bit rates for Tidal Masters items! What do DX160 buyers without access to head-fi or you do to make this work, since IBasso seems to have no instructions!? Thank you!
:) you are way too quick to form opinions

Jan 23, 2021 at 11:08 AM Post #5,217 of 6,983

For screen protector, I failed for both come within the box, after that I buy this instead

https://s.lazada.vn/s.0ciXG

And then follow this GUIDE on youtube, and then it fit like a charm. Hope it will help you.

Jan 23, 2021 at 11:14 AM Post #5,218 of 6,983
Looked up Marshall Hanwell (MH) specs, DX160 LO. output to AUX Input of MH amp/speaker should work.
I would try DX160 LO. output on another amplified speaker to make sure the issue still occurs.
I've made different tests and it works well now. I think I was doing wrong in fact. I have to turn on the DX160 then turn on the Hanwell, plug it in and choose LO, volume changes itself to level 100. It only works when I do things in this order. If I plug the Hanwell before turning the player on it does not work...

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #5,219 of 6,983
There is most always a learning curve. Still going through it with my Supra 2020 because I don't drive it enough. But with daps, we want our music and we want it now. I understand as I need to relax and learn rather than thinking all the knowledge on how something should work will magically stream into my head. lol The DX160 is a great player and getting the apps on board etc., will provide for lots of fun and good music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back