iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Jan 13, 2021 at 3:16 AM Post #5,176 of 6,983
First turn USB DAC mode on, then connect to the PC. If it does not work, try another cable.

Hello.
I would like first of all to thank Lucker for his great work with this upgrade. I have installed ibasso DX160 Lucker firmware addon latest version in my DX160 2019 version.
Maybe it's me but i feel that with my earphones (ibasso it01s, balanced output) the sound ( bass) gets more defined in the original stock ROM. In this update from lucker the sound its flat.. Also i have switch to the mango os of this upgrade and i have the same .. I use flac 24bits flac audio and also using Amazon prime HD and the result its the same..I can't hear the low tones it is all full of medium and high sounds ...
I played with all the filters and high, medium, low parameters .. but i feel the same... no Basses!!

Maybe i made something wrong...
Thanks for all.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2021 at 6:08 AM Post #5,177 of 6,983
Hello, have someone used their dx160 with optical out? If yes,was it simple to get it to work? As with my ibasso i have tried using simple optical cable - (in one side, which goes to ibasso spdif out using adapter from optical to mini optical). So conecting this cable to ibasso and other side to my topping d50s optical in. Setting in ibasso spdif drop down menu - spdif and... nothing. No sound signal is going to my topping dac. It shuts down automatically when isn't receiving any signal. So is dx160 able to output optical spdif? Shouldn't from optical cable visible red light when it is outputing signal? Or i am doing something wrong. Using lurker moded firmware. Is it possible that i need to use special 3.5 to coaxial cable? Any help will be apreciated.

Thank you

Jan 13, 2021 at 6:10 AM Post #5,178 of 6,983
Hello, have someone used their dx160 with optical out? If yes,was it simple to get it to work? As with my ibasso i have tried using simple optical cable - (in one side, which goes to ibasso spdif out using adapter from optical to mini optical). So conecting this cable to ibasso and other side to my topping d50s optical in. Setting in ibasso spdif drop down menu - spdif and... nothing. No sound signal is going to my topping dac. It shuts down automatically when isn't receiving any signal. So is dx160 able to output optical spdif? Shouldn't from optical cable visible red light when it is outputing signal? Or i am doing something wrong. Using lurker moded firmware. Is it possible that i need to use special 3.5 to coaxial cable? Any help will be apreciated.

Thank you

DX160 doesn't support optical out, only coax 💃

Jan 13, 2021 at 6:14 AM Post #5,179 of 6,983
Hello.
I would like first of all to thank Lucker for his great work with this upgrade. I have installed ibasso DX160 Lucker firmware addon latest version in my DX160 2019 version.
Maybe it's me but i feel that with my earphones (ibasso it01s, balanced output) the sound ( bass) gets more defined in the original stock ROM. In this update from lucker the sound its flat.. Also i have switch to the mango os of this upgrade and i have the same .. I use flac 24bits flac audio and also using Amazon prime HD and the result its the same..I can't hear the low tones it is all full of medium and high sounds ...
I played with all the filters and high, medium, low parameters .. but i feel the same... no Basses!!

Maybe i made something wrong...
Thanks for all.
My experience what i have - i feel lurker mod is more linear in bass department, but bass is heard also with this mode, only not so massive as in original firmware where it is sometime too warm and not so good controled. So when you are sayng no basses - is it actualy really no or only smaller amount than original? In my unit with bassier iems it is really heard and felt when using lurker mode. Differences not so big between firmwares.

Jan 14, 2021 at 9:40 AM Post #5,181 of 6,983
Has anybody tried connecting the DX160 to a Topping dac? How are you connecting it? I am speculating with a USC B cable from Topping dac to DX160 with USB C. Will it work?

I would like to know because I want to play my dsd files on my dx160 to the topping which is connected to a pair of speakers. Or is it better to just connect the dx160 with an aux cable directly to the aux in of the speakers. I am just concerned that I am not gerring the most of the audio files quality. Thanks.

Jan 14, 2021 at 10:09 AM Post #5,182 of 6,983
Has anybody tried connecting the DX160 to a Topping dac? How are you connecting it? I am speculating with a USC B cable from Topping dac to DX160 with USB C. Will it work?

I would like to know because I want to play my dsd files on my dx160 to the topping which is connected to a pair of speakers. Or is it better to just connect the dx160 with an aux cable directly to the aux in of the speakers. I am just concerned that I am not gerring the most of the audio files quality. Thanks.
What topping dac you have nd what amp? For example i have d50s dac with a50s amp and ofcourse it will sound better when conected to such topping dac. The only way to conect is usb c to usb b cable or use coaxial digital cable ( if your topping has such input) this way your dx160 will be as a digital source and topping dac with amp will do their job. Aux will use your dx160 dac so if you want better quality then this is not the best option. ( Ofcourse depends on what dac you have)

Jan 14, 2021 at 5:48 PM Post #5,183 of 6,983
What topping dac you have nd what amp? For example i have d50s dac with a50s amp and ofcourse it will sound better when conected to such topping dac. The only way to conect is usb c to usb b cable or use coaxial digital cable ( if your topping has such input) this way your dx160 will be as a digital source and topping dac with amp will do their job. Aux will use your dx160 dac so if you want better quality then this is not the best option. ( Ofcourse depends on what dac you have)
I am using the Topping DX3Pro. Do you have links to the USB B to USB C cables and or the Coaxial digital cable? I have been trying to source for one for use with the DX160 and DX3Pro but is worried that it will not work. Thanks very much for your reply.

Jan 15, 2021 at 12:25 AM Post #5,184 of 6,983
I am using the Topping DX3Pro. Do you have links to the USB B to USB C cables and or the Coaxial digital cable? I have been trying to source for one for use with the DX160 and DX3Pro but is worried that it will not work. Thanks very much for your reply.
Well i haven't used coaxial yet myself but such cable will work surely. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KTTJR0A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_imm_t1_sksaGbCSFNNSK
Also usb c to usb b cheap cable such this https://www.amazon.com/Chroma-Cable...TQNV2G09PN&psc=1&refRID=5R81D9JYW4TQNV2G09PN#
Will work also any cable with usb c to usb b so you can find many options. So acording to this you could look what is more available to yor country :wink:

Jan 15, 2021 at 11:18 PM Post #5,186 of 6,983
Hi. How does the DX160 compare to the M11 Pro and the A&K SR25? I have the M11 Pro but find it too sterile. I've sold my FH7 IEM's so so am thinking about the AM05.
I compared the two a while back and went with the DX160 because its so much more portable while still having comparable sound quality.

I'd say going from the M11Pro to the DX160 will be a step down in dynamics, a half step down in detail, still have comparable soundstage and will be less bright overall.

Never heard the SR25 but the SR15 is another step down from the DX160.

What about the Cayin N3 PRO? Have you considered that or do you need to have android? Mine will be arriving in a week and I'll be comparing it to my DX160.

Jan 16, 2021 at 1:03 AM Post #5,187 of 6,983
Had m11 but sold it to buy 160. As m11pro is a little upgrade from m11 i could imagine what sound it is. It's more neutral, less warm and body, more bright and detailed with less quantity i low end than dx160. It was made to make it analytical as for fiio it was as a new era from older generation sound, but i prefered more fun or musicality so for me m11 was too analitical and cold. Some people prefer it but for my headphones dx160 was what i needed. Also there is also some problem as with dx160 can not use too warm and bassy iems as they becomes even more bassier (even too much). But more neutral iems is really good match.

Jan 16, 2021 at 1:18 AM Post #5,188 of 6,983
Had m11 but sold it to buy 160. As m11pro is a little upgrade from m11 i could imagine what sound it is. It's more neutral, less warm and body, more bright and detailed with less quantity i low end than dx160. It was made to make it analytical as for fiio it was as a new era from older generation sound, but i prefered more fun or musicality so for me m11 was too analitical and cold. Some people prefer it but for my headphones dx160 was what i needed. Also there is also some problem as with dx160 can not use too warm and bassy iems as they becomes even more bassier (even too much). But more neutral iems is really good match.
The M11 Pro very big improvement from the M11. The M11 sounded very lifeless with poor dynamics for its price. The Dx160 is a far better dap at the same price range.

M11 Pro >> DX160 >>>>> M11

Jan 16, 2021 at 1:31 AM Post #5,189 of 6,983
The M11 Pro very big improvement from the M11. The M11 sounded very lifeless with poor dynamics for its price. The Dx160 is a far better dap at the same price range.

M11 Pro >> DX160 >>>>> M11
I haven't heard m11pro so i believe about dynamics ( it should be upgrade) but the tendencies of sound to more analytical and bright is the same as m11 so dx160 surely better sounding from my perpective than m11. This i could say with my own experience. Happy to have it instead of m11. Also as you said such dap should have portability and neither m11 and m11pro really portable. They are too big to say that. D160 is miles better there. Nice sounding portable device.

Jan 16, 2021 at 10:29 AM Post #5,190 of 6,983
There is no a special recommendation for this case. Like with any other use of any DAP powered from a charger, it is recommended to pre-charge it, to reduce the heat.

The recommended way for USB Audio app itself is "don't use it" :) Use Mango/Neutron/UAPP instead. But if you really feel the sound difference and want to continue using, then don't complain.

Lurker - thanks for your reply and really appreciate your firmware upgrade. Just learning the ins and outs of this fantastic DAP. Lots to learn and enjoy with it. I bought UAPP recently and it works great with the firmware and the DX160.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back