iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Nov 19, 2020 at 11:09 AM Post #4,952 of 6,983
I could now use some help learning how to transfer files between my MacBook Pro and my DX160. I can’t seem to locate where the DX160 shows up so I can drag and drop....

You can install this https://www.android.com/filetransfer/ on your mac and connect your DX160 and you are good to drag n drop. In case you dont know, you can use DX160 as DAC so you can control your music or stream Tidal / Spotify through your mac

Nov 19, 2020 at 11:10 PM Post #4,953 of 6,983
You can install this https://www.android.com/filetransfer/ on your mac and connect your DX160 and you are good to drag n drop. In case you dont know, you can use DX160 as DAC so you can control your music or stream Tidal / Spotify through your mac

Thanks. I’ll put that program on tomorrow. And I realized that the DX160 could be used as a DAC, but I have the wonderful SMSL SU-9 that covers Tidal for me.

Nov 22, 2020 at 11:56 AM Post #4,954 of 6,983
need help for unlocking bootloader. this is what i get on command screen.

resim_2020-11-22_194806.png

first command taken at device opened
second command taken at device in recovery mod
third and fourth in bootloader

when i try to flash img file it says device locked. it is unlocked from android developers menu and usb debug mode activated.
after, trying unlock with "fastboot oem unlock" command it says Ok.
but same again, img cant flash because device locked.

any help for unlock bootloader?

Nov 22, 2020 at 3:21 PM Post #4,955 of 6,983
I could now use some help learning how to transfer files between my MacBook Pro and my DX160. I can’t seem to locate where the DX160 shows up so I can drag and drop....

after coupling to the dx160 display, you have a symbol "half moon" above Select the pull down and send data from 3 possibilities.
Then the Mac should recognize the DX

Nov 23, 2020 at 11:15 AM Post #4,957 of 6,983
Hi all, sorry if these questions have been asked on this thread but I am a newly registered headfier tho I have been reading the threads for a short while.
I would like to purchase my first DAP and am considering the DX160 or the Sony A105. I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the decision or if it is no contest. Obviously sound signature is very different, but being a newbie I am not sure I could tell the difference and I am only starting to build my flax collection. Also other things for me that come to mind are unit size, battery life and length of software support.
Also, is there any risk that being an older Android OS that streaming apps like tidal and Spotify would eventually stop being supported? Thanks for reading.
Fixiechimp13

Nov 23, 2020 at 12:56 PM Post #4,958 of 6,983
Hi all, sorry if these questions have been asked on this thread but I am a newly registered headfier tho I have been reading the threads for a short while.
I would like to purchase my first DAP and am considering the DX160 or the Sony A105. I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the decision or if it is no contest. Obviously sound signature is very different, but being a newbie I am not sure I could tell the difference and I am only starting to build my flax collection. Also other things for me that come to mind are unit size, battery life and length of software support.
Also, is there any risk that being an older Android OS that streaming apps like tidal and Spotify would eventually stop being supported? Thanks for reading.
Fixiechimp13
From another not serious audiophile but rather very enthusiastic music listener, I can only recommend the DX160. It simply clearly upgrade the enjoyment for all of my gears and wow me away. I still remember a couple of days when I was first trying it, I kept having this thoughts like "Wow, What, this is freaking serious" and enjoy music like I never before (except for concerts of course). Moreover, it impressed me so much I haven't got a second thought and not look for anything more. It's that satisfying. Btw, my previous DAP is Plenue D which is a very good one at sonic performance as well.
I dont know about how the Sony sounds but from what I see, if you budget allow you a DX160, then simply get it and put the Sony out of the equation. If you want to look for something else though, maybe Hiby R5, Fiio M9.

Streaming with Tidal and Spotify is mostly good for me. Sometimes, rarely, there is cut off but maybe just some wifi issues. Doesn't bother me much and I dont care enough to look into it.

Another important point is, with this DAP, it is hard to find the need for buying audio stacks (DAC, Amp combos). You can use this one as DAC for Mac or Windows or you phone, either bluetooth(5.0, AAC, LDAC, Aptx -HD,...) or wired. It has balanced output as well and powerful enough to drive 300 ohm headphones and maybe even more.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2020 at 6:25 PM Post #4,959 of 6,983
From another not serious audiophile but rather very enthusiastic music listener, I can only recommend the DX160. It simply clearly upgrade the enjoyment for all of my gears and wow me away. I still remember a couple of days when I was first trying it, I kept having this thoughts like "Wow, What, this is freaking serious" and enjoy music like I never before (except for concerts of course). Moreover, it impressed me so much I haven't got a second thought and not look for anything more. It's that satisfying. Btw, my previous DAP is Plenue D which is a very good one at sonic performance as well.
I dont know about how the Sony sounds but from what I see, if you budget allow you a DX160, then simply get it and put the Sony out of the equation. If you want to look for something else though, maybe Hiby R5, Fiio M9.

Streaming with Tidal and Spotify is mostly good for me. Sometimes, rarely, there is cut off but maybe just some wifi issues. Doesn't bother me much and I dont care enough to look into it.

Another important point is, with this DAP, it is hard to find the need for buying audio stacks (DAC, Amp combos). You can use this one as DAC for Mac or Windows or you phone, either bluetooth(5.0, AAC, LDAC, Aptx -HD,...) or wired. It has balanced output as well and powerful enough to drive 300 ohm headphones and maybe even more.

hi @Music225 thanks so much for the reply. I have read everyone here is super happy with the DX160 and that there are a lot of customization options.
Is your primary use case sit down at home listening? Is the size portable enough to carry the DX160 and your smart phone in your pocket?
Also, does anyone stream their collection at home through subsonic or air sonic and what is your syncing mechanism? I saw videos about google drive but any other options?

thanks again.

Nov 24, 2020 at 5:51 AM Post #4,960 of 6,983
hi @Music225 thanks so much for the reply. I have read everyone here is super happy with the DX160 and that there are a lot of customization options.
Is your primary use case sit down at home listening? Is the size portable enough to carry the DX160 and your smart phone in your pocket?
Also, does anyone stream their collection at home through subsonic or air sonic and what is your syncing mechanism? I saw videos about google drive but any other options?

thanks again.
Yes it is working full time day and night with my home office setup :beyersmile: I also use them many times when I'm outside. This DAP stack with your phone can fit tightly in jeans pocket, but will do better with different kind of trousers with big pockets. I dont stack and always put DX160 in my jacket's and either use my phone as a hotspot or bluetooth mode for streaming or just directly from the DAP's library then connect either with wired or wireless iem / headphone.
But I also order a waist / sideway bag so that I can stack them up for full measure if I want to.
Again, the options are plentiful for you to try out and see what works best.

I dont have answer regarding subsonic app.

Nov 24, 2020 at 7:49 AM Post #4,961 of 6,983
any help for unlock bootloader?
I'm sure you don't need it. Use Rockchip tools to flash firmware, e.g. AndroidTool available from the 1st page of the thread.

Nov 24, 2020 at 10:44 AM Post #4,962 of 6,983
The Ibasso DX160 is on a black friday sale in my region. Given the praises it has received for sonic quality, I am considering pulling the trigger over the Cayin N3 Pro (which has no Android and I'd like streaming options). Since I have sold all of my higher-end DAP to invest in desktop gear, I only need a decent sounding one and relatively powerful for pure portable listening when I am out and about. Can anybody comment on the 2020 version? Have most of the UI bugs and sluggishness been fixed in this one? Many thanks!

Nov 24, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #4,963 of 6,983
The Ibasso DX160 is on a black friday sale in my region. Given the praises it has received for sonic quality, I am considering pulling the trigger over the Cayin N3 Pro (which has no Android and I'd like streaming options). Since I have sold all of my higher-end DAP to invest in desktop gear, I only need a decent sounding one and relatively powerful for pure portable listening when I am out and about. Can anybody comment on the 2020 version? Have most of the UI bugs and sluggishness been fixed in this one? Many thanks!

Can’t speak to the earlier versions, but I have the 2020 version and I have not encountered one bug or heard (or experienced) any sluggishness. The DX160 is certainly powerful enough (I’ve run my Audeze LCD-2C of it with no issues). And it’s small size makes it perfect for portable listening. If the price is significantly lower than its usual $399, grab it.

Nov 24, 2020 at 2:00 PM Post #4,964 of 6,983
No sluggish behaviour as per date noticed on the 2020 version. I am using the Hyperion launcher and an icon pack and it navigates in a fluid manner without stutter. Obviously you cant compare it to a flagship smartphone running android. This is my third android player, the others are gone due to me hating the overall android UI feel. Wish there were more cases available that don't cost 50 (your currency).

Nov 24, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #4,965 of 6,983

I mainly use it for qobuz and find it pretty sluggish. To the point where I don’t like to explore for music on it. Sounds great though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back