iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Dec 27, 2019 at 10:08 AM Post #2,041 of 6,983
My 25c... I don't know guys?! I got a black one in BH on BF. Don't get me wrong, it's pretty damn nice for $350 but in comparison to Opus#2 (talking about SQ) it's really an outsider. I don't know how to use those fancy words but I'd say that dx160 is kind of on aggressive and bright side for me. What I really liked about it is a channel separation and details but #2 is still sublime with all of these and neutrality. Also, dx160 is much stronger on amplifier but it doesn't help since that brightness. It could be just my taste or Cirrus Logic vs Sabre. Battery is weak on both #2 and dx160 so, nothing to compare here. I think I'm returning it just to save some $ and wait for something else, as usual, or keep it :)
Also, forgot to mention 4.4 balanced connection which is a huge plus. Really hate 2.5 one

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2019 at 12:44 PM Post #2,045 of 6,983
Trying to decide, based on reviews, which of these to pair the dx160 with: ibasso IT04, Fiio FH7 or oBravo Cupids? Which of these have users found to work best?

It will depend on your sound preferences. I dont particular like any of them myself. FH7 would be my choice of those three, but not my sound choice at all in that price range. I meant to write a full review of the IT04, but never got around to it.

Dec 27, 2019 at 12:50 PM Post #2,046 of 6,983
It will depend on your sound preferences. I dont particular like any of them myself. FH7 would be my choice of those three, but not my sound choice at all in that price range. I meant to write a full review of the IT04, but never got around to it.
So what are your recommendations for this price range and why? I like a fast dynamic sound with a maybe a touch of richness if that makes sense!

Dec 27, 2019 at 1:30 PM Post #2,047 of 6,983
My 25c... I don't know guys?! I got a black one in BH on BF. Don't get me wrong, it's pretty damn nice for $350 but in comparison to Opus#2 (talking about SQ) it's really an outsider. I don't know how to use those fancy words but I'd say that dx160 is kind of on aggressive and bright side for me. What I really liked about it is a channel separation and details but #2 is still sublime with all of these and neutrality. Also, dx160 is much stronger on amplifier but it doesn't help since that brightness. It could be just my taste or Cirrus Logic vs Sabre. Battery is weak on both #2 and dx160 so, nothing to compare here. I think I'm returning it just to save some $ and wait for something else, as usual, or keep it :)
Also, forgot to mention 4.4 balanced connection which is a huge plus. Really hate 2.5 one
You may have needed more time with the DX160. In our tests with the burned in DX160 and user feedback, the DX160 was never brought up as bright or aggressive.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Dec 28, 2019 at 12:29 AM Post #2,052 of 6,983
Had my (blue) dx160 a few weeks now, and am loving it. BT isn't great (range, connection), but have no problems whatsoever with wifi or any noise. Black noise floor, great imaging (esp. with balanced output).
Soundwise, it's a perfect balance of detailed resolution and musical smoothness.
LO has clean input into my studio rack.
Reeeeaaaally fun sounding with blon 03 (4.4 Bal cable and tips that fit your ears well) with high gain! Kicking bass with smooth, detailed mids/highs. Enjoying the music!

Dec 28, 2019 at 6:14 AM Post #2,054 of 6,983
BT isn't great (range, connection)
Could you clarify this a bit? How not great is BT? Is the connection not stable at all no matter how close the player is to the other device? For example, is it usable with BT headphones when the player is in a pocket or in the same room? Or is the connection always unstable regardless of the distance? Thanks.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2019 at 6:41 AM Post #2,055 of 6,983
Could you clarify this a bit? How not great is BT? Is the connection not stable at all no matter how close the player is to the other device? For example, is it usable with BT headphones when the player is in a pocket or in the same room? Or is the connection always unstable regardless of the distance? Thanks.

In my case I had to return 2 because bluetooth could not even hold a connection with the Radsone Es100 whilst walking around and whilst them both being with me all the time. Same with my FiiO BTR3 and same with the iFi Zen Blue Bluetooth receiver. I know two others on this thread who had the same problem. My retailer is clearly aware of this unhappy problem. Whether new batches of the DX160 solve this problem remains to be seen. Some reviewers did not check bluetooth fully or report it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back