iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Jan 2, 2020 at 3:03 AM Post #2,071 of 6,983
anyone have compared this to plenue m2 or shanling m5s? (i care only about SQ)

hi, yes i have M5s and DX160..

DX160 is only 20 hours brake in..

but definitely better than M5s already.

specially bass region.. i loved DX160 bass identification, reminded me of Cayin N6 (2x BurrBrown 1792) bass performance.. maybe better!

DX160 have more balanced, clear and accurate sound then M5s..

and filters are really change the sound signature.. its really good for matching.

i prefer "short delay fast roll off" filter for reference sound signature..

oddly "fast roll off" filter added extra bass :) if you needed..

i didn't like other filters.. slow roll off is little muddy..

sorry for my little english :)

BTWA i'm listening with Vsonic GR09 and QDC Neptune.. Vsonic GR09 (Plastic Shell) is really great matching with DX160.. cos its have really powerfull and accurate sound.

Best Regards!

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2020 at 4:26 AM Post #2,072 of 6,983
So I browsed and searched and didnt see anything 100% on this. I have had mine for about a week and use for streaming mainly for now.

It seems like the wifi goes into sleep mode after sitting for 15 minutes or so even while streaming Tidal. Most android phones dont do this and the ones that do had an option in the settings to toggle this feature off. I cant find this in the settings and think it would resolve those issues?

Ideas anyone?

I haven't got the device yet so idk which menus are available. But with my Android knowledge, did you check if the connectivity services is Not set under battery optimization?

Should be under the menu button "battery"
Or some settings under battery saver.

Otherwise you could try the app Quickshortcutmaker. And see if there is menu hidden. With this app you could try to find it.

Jan 2, 2020 at 9:58 AM Post #2,073 of 6,983
Trying to decide, based on reviews, which of these to pair the dx160 with: ibasso IT04, Fiio FH7 or oBravo Cupids? Which of these have users found to work best?
I can't speak to the others but I have both the DX160 and Fiio FH7 and absolutely love the combination. I was hesitant at first to spend so much on a mobile setup however after the first listen with the combo I knew it was totally worth it. I love how Fiio includes a ton of eartips to try as well as the the sound filters. I ended up using the Spin Fit tips that gave the most secure fit along with the "high boost' filter (which is really just no filter.

I am using the DX160 with USB Audio Player Pro which I find to be the most versatile and polished 3rd party player. Mango is still unable to scan my 512 GB card with ~12,000 FLAC files on it. The developers of UAPP just released an update to the player that fixes a slight sound hiccup with the play/pause button on the DX160. I have to say I was blown away by their responsiveness and ability to address specific issues I was experiencing on the DX160. If are having any functionality issues with UAPP on the DX160 (or any platform for that matter) I highly recommend you contact them directly:

https://www.extreamsd.com/index.php/contactmenu

Jan 2, 2020 at 12:40 PM Post #2,074 of 6,983
What other music players are people using besides the stock mango player? So far I've seen Hiby, USB Audio player, and poweramp? Are there any others? Has anyone done a deep dive into these players and have a list of Pros/Cons?

Jan 2, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #2,075 of 6,983
I can't speak to the others but I have both the DX160 and Fiio FH7 and absolutely love the combination. I was hesitant at first to spend so much on a mobile setup however after the first listen with the combo I knew it was totally worth it. I love how Fiio includes a ton of eartips to try as well as the the sound filters. I ended up using the Spin Fit tips that gave the most secure fit along with the "high boost' filter (which is really just no filter.

I am using the DX160 with USB Audio Player Pro which I find to be the most versatile and polished 3rd party player. Mango is still unable to scan my 512 GB card with ~12,000 FLAC files on it. The developers of UAPP just released an update to the player that fixes a slight sound hiccup with the play/pause button on the DX160. I have to say I was blown away by their responsiveness and ability to address specific issues I was experiencing on the DX160. If are having any functionality issues with UAPP on the DX160 (or any platform for that matter) I highly recommend you contact them directly:

https://www.extreamsd.com/index.php/contactmenu

Great info, I also had a good experience with the UAPP support when I asked to add my Beyerdynamic Impacto DAC to their compatible DAC list but even after the upgrade I'm still having issues with the physical buttons on UAPP, as soon as I press play/pause back/forward it tries to use it directly on Mango player and I cannot find a way to disable Mango player as I don't really use it..

Jan 2, 2020 at 12:48 PM Post #2,076 of 6,983
Great info, I also had a good experience with the UAPP support when I asked to add my Beyerdynamic Impacto DAC to their compatible DAC list but even after the upgrade I'm still having issues with the physical buttons on UAPP, as soon as I press play/pause back/forward it tries to use it directly on Mango player and I cannot find a way to disable Mango player as I don't really use it..

Here is a tutorial to remove unwanted apps without root.
https://www.xda-developers.com/uninstall-carrier-oem-bloatware-without-root-access/amp/

Jan 2, 2020 at 12:52 PM Post #2,077 of 6,983

Thanks for the hint! I would rather prefer to disable as Mango seems to be quite integrated with the DX160 (USB DAC function for example) and might be quite unstable afterwards.. if I find the Mango player APK I will try with the uninstallation. I'm still testing to disable battery optimization for UAPP and activate it for Mango to see what's the result..

Jan 2, 2020 at 1:44 PM Post #2,078 of 6,983
What other music players are people using besides the stock mango player? So far I've seen Hiby, USB Audio player, and poweramp? Are there any others? Has anyone done a deep dive into these players and have a list of Pros/Cons?

Neutron is a beast, but I haven't tried it on DX160 yet, so not sure how smoothly it will run.

Jan 2, 2020 at 2:18 PM Post #2,079 of 6,983

Hello i have running right now 81201 mp3 Files in 320kbps Quality. Some of the players dont work for me as i use multiple genre Tags with an ";" as a divider. For example i have tagged most of Pink Floyd in ID3 Tag like this Rock;Rock Album;Rock Art;Rock Progressive. Most of the players dont divide these Genres into single Genres but show the whole string as one Genre which is unusable for me..

I think choosing a PLayer depends on may different factor, and this will change for every user.

For me important is:

- acceptable scanning time of large library
- acceptable speed of GUI when opening different sorting views (Album view, Genre view)
- must be able to handle multipe Genre Tags
- should download missing cover art
- usable Playlists in M3U format

not so important is

- EQ possibilities (i dont use)
- Streaming
- Layout and nice view ( i prefer function before style)
- songtexts

Tried the following Players:

Mango Player: Works great for me but for any reason, while scanning process, it produces tons of files in a Folder called "pictures" on the local storage. With my numbers of Files it takes after scanning then more then 15GB of new files. As anybody can image.. not usable then. With small filenumber its a very good player. (Can handle Multiple Genre Tags)

Neutron Player: A Hell of a Player. scanning time with my filenumber is about 30 minutes.. (Cannot handle my tags so i dont use it). Even with the worst GUI its lighting fast with my number of files and really good sounding

UAPP: I feel the best sounding. Scanning process takes about 2-3hrs. Afterwards it has limitations in use as for example switching from Artist view to Genre view, the transition stucks for a second. (cannot handle my mutiple tags so i dont use it). Another plus is the multifunction this player has: Upnp, integration of Radio stations, integration of Qobuz streaming.....

Hiby Player: for any reason scanning will never be finished with my number of files, so not usable for me.. (cannot handle Multiple tags).

Finally my actual choice is: PowerAmp: This player is very much adjustable (even i dont use other skins) it scans my library within 1hr but has also some limitations in speed when opening Artist or Album view. It can handle multiple genre tags. For the time being this is the best average in layout, function and usability.. unfortunately i think there is no setting for bitperfect play..

Generally all the players have some limitation when it comes to my large library (speed, Tag handling, Scanning time and so on)

If i could have some whish for future developement i would Prefer:

UAPP if they could handle my tagging.
( and f the performance of the gui would be faster)

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2020 at 2:25 PM Post #2,080 of 6,983
Hello i have running right now 81201 mp2 FIles in 320kbps Quality. Some pf the players dont work for me as i use multiple genre Tags with an ";" as a divider. For example i have tagged most of Pink Floyd in ID3 Tag like this Rock;Rock Album;Rock Art;Rock Progressive. Most of the players dont divide these Genres into single Genres but show the whole string as one Genre which is unsable for me..

tried the following:

Mango Player: Works great for me but for any reason, while scanning process, it produces tons of files in a Folder called "pictures" on the local storage. With my numbers of Files it takes after scanning then more then 15GB of new files. As anybody can image.. not usable then. With small filenumber its a very good player. (Can handle Multiple Genre Tags)

Neutron Player: A Hell of a Player. scanning time with my filenumber is about 30 minutes.. (Cannot handle my tags so i dont use it)

UAPP: I feel the best sounding. Scanning process takes about 2-3hrs. Afterwards it has limitations in use as for example switching from Artist view to Genre view, the transition stucks for a second. (cannot handle my mutiple tags so i dont use it). Another plus is the multifunction this player has: Upnp, integration of Radio stations, integration of Qobuz streaming.....

Hiby Player: for any reason scanning will never be finished with my numberfiles, so no usable for me.. (cannot handle Multiple tags).

Finally my actual choice is: PowerAmp: This player is very much adjustable (even i dont use other skins) it scans my library within 1hr but has also some limitations in speed when opening Artist or Album view. It can handle multiple genre tags. For the time being this is the best average in layout, function and usability..

Generally all players have some limitation when it comes to my large library (speed, Tag handling, Scanning time and so on)

If i could have some whish for future developement i would Prefer: UAPP if they could handle my tagging. ( and f the performance of the gui would be faster)

Thanks this is very helpful! I have no use for tags so I think all these players will work fine for me. Going to start with UAPP and see how it goes.

Jan 2, 2020 at 4:08 PM Post #2,082 of 6,983
Hello i have running right now 81201 mp3 Files in 320kbps Quality. Some of the players dont work for me as i use multiple genre Tags with an ";" as a divider. For example i have tagged most of Pink Floyd in ID3 Tag like this Rock;Rock Album;Rock Art;Rock Progressive. Most of the players dont divide these Genres into single Genres but show the whole string as one Genre which is unusable for me..

I think choosing a PLayer depends on may different factor, and this will change for every user.

For me important is:

- acceptable scanning time of large library
- acceptable speed of GUI when opening different sorting views (Album view, Genre view)
- must be able to handle multipe Genre Tags
- should download missing cover art
- usable Playlists in M3U format

not so important is

- EQ possibilities (i dont use)
- Streaming
- Layout and nice view ( i prefer function before style)
- songtexts

Tried the following Players:

Neutron Player: A Hell of a Player. scanning time with my filenumber is about 30 minutes.. (Cannot handle my tags so i dont use it). Even with the worst GUI its lighting fast with my number of files and really good sounding

Hiby Player: for any reason scanning will never be finished with my number of files, so not usable for me.. (cannot handle Multiple tags).

Finally my actual choice is: PowerAmp: This player is very much adjustable (even i dont use other skins) it scans my library within 1hr but has also some limitations in speed when opening Artist or Album view. It can handle multiple genre tags. For the time being this is the best average in layout, function and usability.. unfortunately i think there is no setting for bitperfect play..

Generally all the players have some limitation when it comes to my large library (speed, Tag handling, Scanning time and so on)

If i could have some whish for future developement i would Prefer:

UAPP if they could handle my tagging.
( and f the performance of the gui would be faster)

Interesting points, thanks for sharing your toughts, may I ask you why you're using ; to separate tags instead of , ? I guess the latter will make you the life much easier?

Jan 2, 2020 at 5:16 PM Post #2,083 of 6,983
Interesting points, thanks for sharing your toughts, may I ask you why you're using ; to separate tags instead of , ? I guess the latter will make you the life much easier

Hello..

I'm collecting digital music now since almost 15 years. Over the time I have gone through a lot of software and storage solutions to keep and constantly extend my collection.

What I found is that there are many possibilities to use multiple genre tags and in any case you need a divider. Some use "//" some "," and also ";" is more or less widely accepted..

I use MediaMonkey to handle, and manipulate my files (add covers, handle id3 tags etc.. Etc..) and there the ";" divider is the main divider..

Long time I was using twonky server on the nas to handle the files over upnp to stream to main system.. Also there the ";" divider is accepted.

Now I use Roon as the main server at home and roon also accepts this divider.

To make a long story short: ";" is the most accepted divider over all different platforms and I don't want to handle over 80k files on 2 or 3 versions...

So I expect also my dap to accept this.. Poweramp and MangoPlayer have no issue at all..

What riddles me really is that such high sophisticated players like neutron and uapp don't provide any solution to multiple genre tagging.. They just don't accept any divider.. This was the feedback from both support.

And most of my music fits for sure in more then one genre..

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2020 at 5:25 PM Post #2,084 of 6,983
Thanks this is very helpful! I have no use for tags so I think all these players will work fine for me. Going to start with UAPP and see how it goes.

One question please.. How do you find your music within your library if you don't rely on tags? What kind of sorting system do you use?

Jan 2, 2020 at 7:51 PM Post #2,085 of 6,983
One question please.. How do you find your music within your library if you don't rely on tags? What kind of sorting system do you use?

I have been using an Ibasso DX90 for several years and evnentually stopped scanning music in all together. I created 4 folders on the micro SD card to sort by artist (A-E, F-L, M-S, T-Z). I would then just pick a folder and scroll. I really only need to navigate by artist ---> then album. Or just search for the artist. I guess I have a sort of scary good memory for the artists that I listen to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back