iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Dec 25, 2019 at 7:41 AM Post #2,012 of 6,983
Can you post a speedsted

Can you post a download speed.?

I will say where I mostly sit and listen is a couple of walls away from the house wifi, the fiio m11 and my phone could handle this no problem, the dx160 couldn't handle that distance but it is a reasonable distance...i mostly pair it with my phones hotspot as I have an unlimited data plan and this works faultless, Amazon HD.

Dec 25, 2019 at 9:07 PM Post #2,013 of 6,983
Hi guys,

Merry Christmas to all. Just bought my DX160 I love it. It can drive pretty well with my audiosense T800 and even sennheiser hd800s with high gain. But I have a question. Did anyone experience cracking/popping click sound when playing dsd or iso files? Just when I start playing then it's fine in the song.

Cheers,
Billy

Dec 25, 2019 at 11:25 PM Post #2,014 of 6,983
I bought the DX160 after returning the R6 Pro.

The DX160 sounds better than the R6 Pro, I can say, and by a good margin, too. The R6 Pro is by no means a bad sounding DAP; it's quite excellent actually. The DX160 is just that much better. In fact, if the DX160 is your only audio device, you'd be set--it's sufficient, at least with dynamic headphones that aren't outrageously hard to drive. I don't know about planars; I've sold all of mine.

As for battery life, I'm getting around 12 hours, maybe more, and I think it's because I've not installed Google Play or Google Play Services and don't really want to. I think Google/Android is the culprit for the less than stellar battery life others have been experiencing.

There are some quirks, though, that I'm trying to resolve. For instance, on Mango Player, in shuffle mode, pressing backtrack doesn't go back to the previous song played--it shuffles both going forward and going back... kind of annoying. Maybe Lurker's firmware addresses this?

Also, I don't understand LO mode. I'm not sure how to set it since it's not a fixed volume. Should it be played at low gain, 100% volume? High gain at 50%? No clue. LO with adjustable volume and gain is new and foreign to me.

All in all, if sound quality is your main priority, then the DX160 is no doubt a great buy.

Dec 25, 2019 at 11:58 PM Post #2,015 of 6,983
I bought the DX160 after returning the R6 Pro.

The DX160 sounds better than the R6 Pro, I can say, and by a good margin, too. The R6 Pro is by no means a bad sounding DAP; it's quite excellent actually. The DX160 is just that much better. In fact, if the DX160 is your only audio device, you'd be set--it's sufficient, at least with dynamic headphones that aren't outrageously hard to drive. I don't know about planars; I've sold all of mine.

As for battery life, I'm getting around 12 hours, maybe more, and I think it's because I've not installed Google Play or Google Play Services and don't really want to. I think Google/Android is the culprit for the less than stellar battery life others have been experiencing.

There are some quirks, though, that I'm trying to resolve. For instance, on Mango Player, in shuffle mode, pressing backtrack doesn't go back to the previous song played--it shuffles both going forward and going back... kind of annoying. Maybe Lurker's firmware addresses this?

Also, I don't understand LO mode. I'm not sure how to set it since it's not a fixed volume. Should it be played at low gain, 100% volume? High gain at 50%? No clue. LO with adjustable volume and gain is new and foreign to me.

All in all, if sound quality is your main priority, then the DX160 is no doubt a great buy.

My personal opinion is to just not use Mango Player, but that's just me. I didnt like it - slow clunky, poor UI. Only good thing is the PEQ.
I use Lurker firmware with a combination of various Magisk modules, and xposed apps to make performance and battery life improved.

Dec 26, 2019 at 12:02 AM Post #2,016 of 6,983
My personal opinion is to just not use Mango Player, but that's just me. I didnt like it - slow clunky, poor UI. Only good thing is the PEQ.
I use Lurker firmware with a combination of various Magisk modules, and xposed apps to make performance and battery life improved.
which player do you mostly use with it?

Dec 26, 2019 at 12:20 AM Post #2,017 of 6,983
Dec 26, 2019 at 1:40 AM Post #2,018 of 6,983
...I have owned both r6pro and dx160, both are great devices in their own way. The r6pro has a more powerful fuller sound, more meat on the bone but it hisses quite a lot compared to a dx160 which Is dead silent, also i feel the stage is better on a dx160 width and depth .... i Ioved the r6pro it is a nice dap that's smooth to use with great build and sounds great, it's one of my favourite daps that I have owned but personally I would take the dx160 simply because its virtually black background with better layering and it also sounds fantastic....

Primary reason why I returned the R6Pro--the hissing was way too apparent and thus distracting, especially when using LO.

I must admit, I have no idea what Magisk modules are :confused: .. but I'm considering installing the Hiby audio player app, though--I especially liked the MSEB tuner when I used it on the R6 Pro.

Dec 26, 2019 at 4:15 AM Post #2,019 of 6,983

On my cayin amp I found 75% on low gain to be the best. But it bugs me why gain setting affects line out, also I have never seen LO so loud, and weirdly it has exactly same volume as HO. I am surprised people here are not more curious to investigate What is up with LO in DX160.

Dec 26, 2019 at 4:38 AM Post #2,021 of 6,983
On my cayin amp I found 75% on low gain to be the best. But it bugs me why gain setting affects line out, also I have never seen LO so loud, and weirdly it has exactly same volume as HO. I am surprised people here are not more curious to investigate What is up with LO in DX160.

I know. And it continues to go unaddressed. Case in point:

LO on dx160 when enabled has lower volume than Phone out. You have to enable LO by the drop down menu

Um, OK.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2019 at 5:12 AM Post #2,022 of 6,983
Can you share what Magisk modules, and xposed apps are you using?
Thank you!

Dec 26, 2019 at 2:47 PM Post #2,024 of 6,983
Can you share what Magisk modules, and xposed apps are you using?
Thank you!

I too am curious about this. Very interesting for the android savvy, but I need to know the benefit the surgery will have before undergoing an operation. ha

I use:
  • L Speed - using it on performance mode currently for best speed. makes a huge difference. (update: im using a custom user mode now)
  • NFS Injector - RAM management tweaks
  • zRAM/Swap Manager - makes a swap ram file - not sure this is really needed
  • Energized Protection - Blocks Ads/Spyware

I also installed the XPosed Framework and within that, i use Amplify. This is an alarm/wakelock controller. I used it heavily on older android OSs but didnt really need to on modern Android OS. I have only reduced some of the android Android Syncing wakelock, so its not really necessary, but may improve battery life slightly.

Just a note, you need Lurker firmware installed. To download the modules, you can open up Magisk Manager and click the menu and go to Download and look for the modules. If Magisk doesnt open, you probably need to reinstall Magisk Manager. https://magiskmanager.com/

FYI - you wont be able to update Magisk to the latest version as John Wu won't be supporting rockchip anymore apparently. You can just disable update notification so it wont be annoying, or if you want, you can use a custom channel URL: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/antdroidx/customMagisk/master/magisk.json which will show the current versions as up-to-date

Update:
Other apps I am using:

Rotation Manager - this lets you use reverse Portrait mode. Useful if you want to dock the DX160 on a usb-c dock stand!

Poweramp - my favorite android music player, and it supports DX160 natively.

I tried to use Viper4Android on previous firmware and it was very buggy. I havent tried it on the current version yet. This would provide systemwide EQ and other filters.

I've also unlocked bootloader, but I haven't had much luck doing much else with it as of today. I've been a little lazy to try to make a TWRP port.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back